Pro for Granite Peak

Pro for Granite Peak

January 13th, 2005, 3:55 am #1

Looking at doing Granite Peak this summer. Any recommondations on what size pro to bring along? Thanks in advance?

January 13th, 2005, 9:10 pm #2

Most reach the summit without rope and some descend without rope. Many just use slings to set a belay anchor and rappel ring.

January 14th, 2005, 2:26 am #3

I'm planning on rappelling for sure and I figure if I'm bring along a rope already I might as well bring some pro. I'm not really sure what to expect and I would hate to get there and wish I had some along. I will also be doing this with a friend who doesn't have much climbing experience so I want to make it safe as possible.

January 14th, 2005, 10:03 pm #4

You really don't need much for Granite. If you are going in late summer, a very basic "rock" rack (a few medium size passives with one or two small pieces and maybe a piece in the 2"-3" range) would be plenty. You might substitute a cam or 2 for a couple of the passives. Bring several medium length slings and a couple of longer ones. Add eight to ten carbiners including about four that you wouldn't mind leaving if you don't have rappel rings and don't want to trust what's there. Earlier in the summer, crampons and at least one ice ax could be useful. Anything more than this would really be overkill for the standard route. Most people don't use this much stuff.

January 17th, 2005, 3:52 pm #5

Good point about an ax. Most people agonize about whether to haul an ax up there just for the snow bridge. People have slipped there and met their fate.

When I went late in the season, the snow was soft and I simply plunged my fist into the snow for an "arm belay" while kicking stepping my way across. I didn't look down.

If the snow is hard or you have a larger group, it may be best to set up a running belay on rope and have folks cross with a prussick. Or just use a standard rope crossing.