Picture of Flags Above America Poster

Picture of Flags Above America Poster

roger
roger

September 11th, 2002, 3:34 pm #1

The 50 flags poster is now available.
http://highpointers.org/poster.shtml

I get choked up over the effort and all the people who raised their sleeves (or at least put on their hiking boots) on this.

There will be more later.

In any event, I will be placing one at St. Paul's by Ground Zero today. It will be mixed with posters and banners from other hikers/bikers who made pilgrimages to the site.

As is protocol for momentos at Ground Zero, I will put a personal note on it, "We did what we could to honor you -- Highpointers Club 9/11/02"

As I am posting this, tears filled my eyes and a secretary wondered if I had a pink eye.

I never thought this stuff would break me up.

I'm so proud of everybody.

John M.
John M.

September 11th, 2002, 3:56 pm #2

The .jpg picture here does not do justice to the excellent photos that we recieved. Our high-resolution plotters, however, create a dramatic image, even at the smaller size.

This poster was delivered to 13 groups affected by 9/11.

Thanks to Roger for braving the NYC crowds to get this posted at the Ground Zero fence memorial.

Thanks to Busy Jean Trousdale who managed the collection and selection of photos and who is preparing an album of all the photos we received.

Thanks to Mary Maurer and Diane Winger for mailing the posters to the 50 HP owners/managers.

Thanks to Dave Covill for coordinating the graphic work and printing.

And a BIG thanks to all those who sumbitted their flag photos!

- John M.

roger
roger

September 12th, 2002, 5:57 pm #3

I get choked up over the effort and all the people who raised their sleeves (or at least put on their hiking boots) on this.

In any event, I will be placing one at St. Paul's by Ground Zero today. It will be mixed with posters and banners from other hikers/bikers who made pilgrimages to the site.

As is protocol for momentos at Ground Zero, I will put a personal note on it, "We did what we could to honor you -- Highpointers Club 9/11/02"

As I am posting this, tears filled my eyes and a secretary wondered if I had a pink eye.

I just got back after putting up our Fifty Flags Over America on the cemetery fence at St. Paul's Church within a few feet of Ground Zero.

This is one day later than the goal but there were logistical issues in bringing a tube to a spot where President Bush was speaking.

I scrawled on it "We did what we could to honor you -- Highpointers Club 9/11/02"

There are countless memorials there and I believe this is a noble spot for our poster as one among many. Authorities say they will save and catalog every item put up there.

I watched the reaction for 15 or 20 minutes. During that time at least 50 or 60 people seemingly of all nationalities, age and race stopped and pointed. I took 74 pictures. I chatted with a few people who all thought it was inspiring.

I want to thank the initial team of Dave Covill, John Mitchler and Jean Trousdale who did untold hours of work on this and Mary Maurer, Gene Elliott and Diane Winger who have pitched in to get it distributed. And of course all the Highpointers who competed to have their flags included.

9/11 has brought out the best and worst in people and this represents the best.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

P.S. If you are visiting NYC, the poster is on the south fence about mid-block.

September 12th, 2002, 7:28 pm #4

Roger, thank you for adding the poster to the WTC memorial wall. I assume the Club has also sent one to the Pentagon and to someone in charge in Shanksville, PA?

As contributors to the poster (see TX and RI), Marcia, Nathan and I were happy to contribute at least a small effort to the Club's project.

I can't wait to see a full-size copy of the poster. I'm sure Jean will be swamped with requests for them over the next few days.

Many, many thanks to everyone who worked so hard on the project, and to all of the Club members who made the extra effort to carry the flag on their highpointing trips, and to send the photos in to the coordinators.

<a href=http://www.mtritter.org>Alan</a>

Gary Fisher
Gary Fisher

September 16th, 2002, 4:51 pm #5

Just returned from a visit to NYC and Ground Zero. While visiting the attack site we spent some time reading the messages posted on the fence surrounding the site. At one point I looked up and saw the picture of the kid on top of Guadalupe Peak waving the American flag - incidentally right next to the American Airlines pyrmaid, at which point I said to myself "I've seen that picture before"! Anyway, it was very nice to see such a wonderful gesture posted at a site that has truly become hollowed ground. Nice job, very well done.

roger
roger

October 1st, 2002, 3:31 am #6

I visited our flag poster on the fence on the south side of St. Paul's Church across from Ground Zero this evening at sunset.

The poster has managed to survive the remnants of at least two hurricanes although it had ripped through holes on three sides and was supported only a t-shirt hung under it. I resecured it.

During the time a Chinese woman stopped to take a photo and four or five stopped and pointed.

roger
roger

October 12th, 2002, 12:59 pm #7

I just got back after putting up our Fifty Flags Over America on the cemetery fence at St. Paul's Church within a few feet of Ground Zero.

This is one day later than the goal but there were logistical issues in bringing a tube to a spot where President Bush was speaking.

I scrawled on it "We did what we could to honor you -- Highpointers Club 9/11/02"

There are countless memorials there and I believe this is a noble spot for our poster as one among many. Authorities say they will save and catalog every item put up there.

I watched the reaction for 15 or 20 minutes. During that time at least 50 or 60 people seemingly of all nationalities, age and race stopped and pointed. I took 74 pictures. I chatted with a few people who all thought it was inspiring.

I want to thank the initial team of Dave Covill, John Mitchler and Jean Trousdale who did untold hours of work on this and Mary Maurer, Gene Elliott and Diane Winger who have pitched in to get it distributed. And of course all the Highpointers who competed to have their flags included.

9/11 has brought out the best and worst in people and this represents the best.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

P.S. If you are visiting NYC, the poster is on the south fence about mid-block.
Our poster on the fence at St. Pauls is sandwiched in between a large display of the victims names in which people sign condolences and a flag from a couple guys who rode their bicycle to Ground Zero from Michigan.

Dave C. said he got a phone call two days from a co-worker who worked on the project and he noted that it is one of the most professional looking momentos. The poster is water damaged at the corners where I punched holes to secure it to the fence. When I returned after the Convention the remnants of two interim hurricanes had ripped it off on three sides. I punched new holes and resecured it. In 20/20, I wish I had reinforced the four corners.

I have felt good that our poster is "one of many" rememberances. I had debated putting it on the Ground Zero fence itself which have made for a nice photo op but as is noted in the accompanying article, they are pulled down each day.

But the area can assume tacky aspects. Mixed in with the memorials are plenty of street vendors selling pictures, posters, CD's and perhaps the most tacky item -- a clear model of the WTC that flashes with pink or purple lights. The vendors were at the WTC almost from Day 1 (initially selling flags and ribbons), but their items have definitely gotten tackier.

The photograph in the article is about 20 or 30 feet to the right of where our poster is (it's on the south side of the church)

Here's excerpts from the article that appeared on Oct. 11 on page 1 of the Metro section of the NY Times:

How to Say 'Enough,' Gracefully
By MICHAEL WILSON

ne of the longest lasting, most-visited grass-roots memorials to the Sept. 11 attacks, at the fence surrounding St. Paul's Chapel near ground zero, still grows daily. Visitors stop to drape a signed T-shirt across the bars, place a ball cap atop an iron spike, leave their mark on what has become the world's guest book. New York City, We're thinking of you. Love, Everyplace Else.

But growing among all the shirts and stuffed animals and plastic banners, from nearby apartments and in a neighborhood letter-writing campaign, is a quiet new sentiment about the fence: It looks awful. It scares my kids. Take it down. "What had been a tapestry of love and support now has become an eyesore for our community," wrote a nearby resident to the vicar of Trinity Church, which includes the chapel. "In fact, it is an impediment to our continued recovery."

The fence, at a certain angle, could be mistaken for a camp for derelicts.
The fence today is actually doing harm, Mr. Jacobson argues, as is the giant poster showing the chapel's steeple in a shroud of dust as the towers fell. "It's like seeing a photograph of someone you love getting hurt in a horrible accident," he said. That feeling led him to write the letter to Trinity Church requesting it remove the memorial, and several residents of his building have either signed it or written their own.

Church leaders quietly agree, but fear stepping in too soon. "I would love for the fence to be cleared, at least enough for the yard to be seen," Father Howard said. "It's beautiful. We have something of a pastoral responsibility to those who are still grieving."

The greatest defenders of the fence are people seeing it for the first time. Here, good will flickers with irony. What New Yorkers think about these thousands of scribblings wishing New York well seems to be of little interest. Asking many visitors whether the fence memorial should be removed startles them, as if they had been asked whether Monument Valley should be blown up.

"It's something they wanted to be part of," Mr. Ashman said of the people outside on those days and nights. "Before you knew it, they started writing all these notes on the canvases. Lots of emotions are written on this fence. People's expression of trying to identify with the grief. For something like that to be taken away, I'm not so sure it's the wise thing. It's wrong to remove it."

Next week, Father Howard plans to survey the approximately 8,000 visitors who will pass through the chapel. "We don't feel like we could move unilaterally on this," he said.

"I'd say to leave it there," the mother said. "People feel better putting things on, don't they?"

More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/11/nyregion/11FENC.html

More:

Stefan Sch.
Stefan Sch.

October 13th, 2002, 2:15 am #8

Moderator Note:
This thread has moved to its own root:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1034529459
Last edited by dipper on October 13th, 2002, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger
roger

October 23rd, 2002, 3:02 pm #9

I have posted a photo album of the Poster at Ground Zero and at the Oklahoma Convention at
http://highpointers.org/wtc3/

The pix include the photo of Jack Longacre carrying the flag to Taum Sauk.

There's also a full page 400K .pdf picture of the poster at
http://highpointers.org/wtc3/flag.pdf

Of course the best versions are the ones you buy at the HP.Merc.

You can read more at

roger
roger

February 28th, 2003, 2:28 am #10

I visited Ground Zero today for the first time since last fall. Our poster (and the other momentos on the fence) have been removed. Officially they were supposed to be cataloged. But that seems a formidable task. This was a great project.