Pennsylvania Legislator Urges Renaming Negro Mountain

Pennsylvania Legislator Urges Renaming Negro Mountain

August 2nd, 2007, 9:24 pm #1

August 15th, 2007, 3:09 am #2

There is nothing wrong with this name. Negro was a perfectly acceptable term for African-Americans at the time that the mountain was named. The professional baseball leagues for black players before Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier were called the Negro Leagues, for example.

Negro is the Spanish word for "black", so should the Spanish language change its word for "black"? I also used to know a guy (a white guy) whose last name was "Negro" - should he be forced to change his last name?

I am strongly opposed to changing the name of any natural feature for politically correct reasons. That is why, for example, I refuse to call Phoenix's Squaw Peak by the politically correct name that Arizona's governor changed it to by dictatorial methods in 2003.

Ken Akerman

August 16th, 2007, 4:55 pm #3

Ken, while the Arizona Board on Geographic and Historic Names might have voted in 2004 to rename Squaw Peak as "Piestewa Peak," such an action is merely a recommendation in the eyes of the nation's authority on geographic names, the U.S. Board on Geographic Names. This issue is very much still undecided. The proposed renaming of Squaw Peak is scheduled to come before the Domestic Names Committee of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names at its April 2008 meeting. Comments, whether in support or opposition, on the proposed renaming are accepted until that meeting.