Oregon Konvention Dinner Attendees

Oregon Konvention Dinner Attendees

June 10th, 2012, 5:57 am #1

The group photo of dinner attendees and photos of the 50-state and 48/49-state completers are posted on my web site. And, yes, Mt. Hood was actually visible on Wednesday, contrary to what may have seemed possible later in the week.

June 13th, 2012, 2:41 pm #2

It was announced at the Highpointers banquet that several people were going to make a summit bid the evening and morning following the banquet (June 9-10). Does anybody know how successful our fellow Highpointers were? It was tough to climb Hood that week with many people climbing, but only a few reaching the summit.

June 13th, 2012, 3:22 pm #3

Per my email conversation with Dave Covill, nobody made it up Saturday night/Sunday morning, whether from the club or with TMG. A few groups made it as far as the Hogsback but that was about it. Above there, avalanche risk was too great for further climbing.

June 14th, 2012, 12:28 pm #4

Well, we've all experienced our share of turn-arounds and non-attempts, but I can imagine the disappointment was probably a bit magnified for those at this year's Convention. I hope attendees managed to make lemonade so to speak, but we all know you can't control the weather or conditions.

My trip to Hood last March (2011) ended with a non-attempt under similar circumstances but this year's late snow actually has me encouraged that the mountain will be in good shape when I head to Oregon for an attempt sometime around July 10 ... which is historically a bit late but might be perfect this year.

The mountain will always be there another day (unless, of course, it erupts).

June 16th, 2012, 2:40 pm #5

It was announced at the Highpointers banquet that several people were going to make a summit bid the evening and morning following the banquet (June 9-10). Does anybody know how successful our fellow Highpointers were? It was tough to climb Hood that week with many people climbing, but only a few reaching the summit.
Highpointers Eric Gilbertson and Roger Roots made the summit (separately) immediately after the convention.