NPS Steamed Over Metamucil Ad Making Old Faithful "Regular"

NPS Steamed Over Metamucil Ad Making Old Faithful "Regular"

roger
roger

January 24th, 2003, 3:06 pm #1

CHEYENNE, Wyoming -- The makers of Metamucil have a message for the National Park Service -- lighten up.
Park service officials aren't amused by a commercial that shows an actor dressed like a park ranger appearing to pour a glass of the fiber supplement into Old Faithful geyser at Yellowstone National Park.
The laxative is the supposed secret of keeping Old Faithful regular.
Park Service spokesman Al Nash warns it's dangerous to get near a geyser -- and people should never try to pour anything into one.
But Greg Allgood, a spokesman for Procter & Gamble, the company that makes Metamucil, said everyone knows it's a joke.
More: WNBC

Ken Akerman
Ken Akerman

January 25th, 2003, 1:22 am #2

An article about this topic appeared recently in the <a href=http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/ ... [i]Arizona Republic[/i]</a>.

One reader from <a href=http://www.ci.fountain-hills.az.us>Fountain Hills</a> had an excellent reply to the ranger in a <a href=http://www.arizonarepublic.com/opinions ... >[b]Letter to the Editor[/b]</a>.

Ruger9
Ruger9

January 27th, 2003, 2:47 am #3

CHEYENNE, Wyoming -- The makers of Metamucil have a message for the National Park Service -- lighten up.
Park service officials aren't amused by a commercial that shows an actor dressed like a park ranger appearing to pour a glass of the fiber supplement into Old Faithful geyser at Yellowstone National Park.
Park Service spokesman Al Nash warns it's dangerous to get near a geyser -- and people should never try to pour anything into one.
But Greg Allgood, a spokesman for Procter & Gamble, the company that makes Metamucil, said everyone knows it's a joke.
Man, I'm sick and tired of everyone in this country (and in the world for that matter) being offended by EVERYTHING! Grow up & get a sense of humor!

pschmitt
pschmitt

January 27th, 2003, 3:40 am #4

Newsline from Cheyenne describes Metamucil as a laxative. It is a fiber supplement to promote regularity. It is not a laxative. If a news writer can't get that simple point straight, how many important issues do they screw up?

Cylise
Cylise

January 27th, 2003, 4:15 am #5

I'd imagine the rangers lose a lot of that sense of humour thing after having to clean out what geyers they can manage to get the junk tourists toss in them. As well as the occasional pet or tourist.

Nothing like nasty burns and ugly trash to make the sense of humour go away.

I don't know if it's urban legend or truth, but I've read somewhere about the junk that's been thrown into Old Faithful over the years, including a sofa, possibly having an effect on how often it spews.

That lawsuit from the young employees jumping into a geyser, thinking they were crossing a stream, must be on their minds, too. Especially the ones who had to retrieve the body.

Park Employee
Park Employee

January 29th, 2003, 12:09 am #6

Wow. My dear, pets are not allowed outside of the parking lots in Yellowstone and anyone who goes jumping across a hot pool, well, all I can say is, "Natural Selection". The ad on TV is very funny. Take a chill pill.

Park Employee
Park Employee

January 29th, 2003, 12:15 am #7

An article about this topic appeared recently in the <a href=http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/ ... [i]Arizona Republic[/i]</a>.

One reader from <a href=http://www.ci.fountain-hills.az.us>Fountain Hills</a> had an excellent reply to the ranger in a <a href=http://www.arizonarepublic.com/opinions ... >[b]Letter to the Editor[/b]</a>.
NPS employees tend to be a bunch of wanna be cops. They generally have upturned noses at tourists and visitors in general. Any attention that may draw more people to the parks in not appreciated by them. BUT WE PAY THEIR WAGES.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 29th, 2003, 12:20 am #8

I'd imagine the rangers lose a lot of that sense of humour thing after having to clean out what geyers they can manage to get the junk tourists toss in them. As well as the occasional pet or tourist.

Nothing like nasty burns and ugly trash to make the sense of humour go away.

I don't know if it's urban legend or truth, but I've read somewhere about the junk that's been thrown into Old Faithful over the years, including a sofa, possibly having an effect on how often it spews.

That lawsuit from the young employees jumping into a geyser, thinking they were crossing a stream, must be on their minds, too. Especially the ones who had to retrieve the body.
The whole in OF could never take a sofa. Where do you get your info?

You seem to like good stories. Try reading "Death In Yellowstone". Idiots come and die in the park annually.

Dick Barthel
Dick Barthel

January 29th, 2003, 5:35 pm #9

Newsline from Cheyenne describes Metamucil as a laxative. It is a fiber supplement to promote regularity. It is not a laxative. If a news writer can't get that simple point straight, how many important issues do they screw up?
But since OF waters contain dissolved magnesium salts, the waters themselves would make a good laxative for humans foolish enough to drink--cooled, of course. Other dissolved and suspended substances would probably cause lots of other problems, however. (see EPSOM SALTS in your med. ref.). By the way, wasn't the OF irregularity problem caused by an earthquake, not a sofa?