north dakotoa acess update ?

north dakotoa acess update ?

February 9th, 2004, 4:17 am #1

any news on acess to this highpoint ?
need to sked vacation for this year.

March 16th, 2004, 4:20 am #2

It may be possible for me to fly to Rapid City, SD. for a long weekend. Snow should not really be a concern on either high point, but I do not want to do it if the status of White Butte remains in limbo. With Spring coming, the question of accessibility is going to be raised more and more. If they want 20$, that is fine with me. I just dont want to fly all of the way up there, rent a car and drive into ND only to find out that they will not grant access.

Has anyone seen or heard anything from up there?

March 16th, 2004, 2:35 pm #3

When I went there in 2001, I stopped at a house that was one down from the home of the woman in question. They gave me permission to cross their field and I did so to the HP. I would think that access would still be granted by them regardless of the status of the traditional access route.

Hence I would say go go go!

BTW: What airline are you taking to get to Rapid City?
How much and from where do you fly from?

March 16th, 2004, 6:20 pm #4

Thanks for the info! It is nice to know that more than one option to get up there exists. It may be time for the trip to the Dakotas.

I would be interested in making the trip somewhere in the weekend of May 21-23. If I leave on Friday, Northwest Airlines can fly me from Dallas/Ft Worth to Rapid City via Minneapolis. There are morning flights that could get me to SD early enough to be able to drive to White Butte and hopefully knock it out the same day. Then Saturday and part of Sunday could be spent on seeing Mt. Rushmore and Harney Peak. There are some frequent flier miles that I need to use before they expire, so this might be a good way to use them provided that seats are available. Since it will well into Spring, it should be fairly nice up there in the Black Hills.

March 16th, 2004, 7:16 pm #5

The late spring is some prime bad weather time in the great/high plains. Cross your fingers. I did Harney in May 1996, but had pretty rotten weather the whole time. Had to wonder if this is typical. Just the classic heavy clouds, rain, fog and the occasional supercell.

On the other hand it may be just wonderful!

March 18th, 2004, 3:37 pm #6

any news on acess to this highpoint ?
need to sked vacation for this year.
Many thanks to Don Holmes for the press coverage of White Butte. The following articles are on the Grand Forks Herald website but they are pay per view because they were in February and January:

http://grandforksherald.com

WHITE BUTTE MAY BECOME A BIG ISSUE

Source: Lloyd Omdahl, Herald columnist
The future of North Dakota's highest point - White Butte, 3,506 feet above sea level - is in limbo as the property now is in probate due to the death of the owner. White Butte is only one of five state high points in private hands.For those unfamiliar with the geographic delights of North Dakota, White Butte is somewhere between Bowman and Amidon - in the neighborhood of Boulder Point and Rattlesnake Butte. All of these sites are not too distant from the Burning Coal Mine, another one

Published on February 23, 2004, Page 03, Grand Forks Herald (ND)

THE WHITE BUTTE PLAN

Source: Tom Dennis for the Herald
There are a few privately owned natural wonders in North Dakota that are so important, the state should try to buy them or win public access when ownership changes hands. The Pembina Gorge is one. The Red River shoreline, the "Greenway on the Red" territory, is a second.And White Butte is a third. Kudos to Doug Prchal and the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department for recognizing that, and looking into gaining access to North Dakota's "high point" once and for

Published on February 11, 2004, Page 04, Grand Forks Herald (ND)

HIGH POINT: HIGH TIME

Source: Tom Dennis for the Herald
A doorway of opportunity may have swung open for North Dakota. And its hinge is at White Butte, the highest point in the state.White Butte sits on the edge of the Little Missouri National Grassland in southwestern North Dakota. It's not the most dramatic feature of that rugged landscape. As an Associated Press story noted, White Butte rises only 400 feet from its base.But the summit still makes a vital and indisputable claim: If you measure from sea level, you can't climb any

Published on January 12, 2004, Page 04, Grand Forks Herald (ND)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Arc ... weights=no

March 18th, 2004, 3:50 pm #7

Thanks for the info! It is nice to know that more than one option to get up there exists. It may be time for the trip to the Dakotas.

I would be interested in making the trip somewhere in the weekend of May 21-23. If I leave on Friday, Northwest Airlines can fly me from Dallas/Ft Worth to Rapid City via Minneapolis. There are morning flights that could get me to SD early enough to be able to drive to White Butte and hopefully knock it out the same day. Then Saturday and part of Sunday could be spent on seeing Mt. Rushmore and Harney Peak. There are some frequent flier miles that I need to use before they expire, so this might be a good way to use them provided that seats are available. Since it will well into Spring, it should be fairly nice up there in the Black Hills.
That sounds good, but I would suggest that after (and not before) Mt Rushmore, you visit the Crazy Horse monument.
It is a work in progress (as it has been for over 80 yrs), but it is fantastic!

Also, if possible I'd recommend that you travel back from White Butte into the Black Hills via Spearfish Canyon Scenic Hwy. It is certainly in the top 10 most scenic hwys in the country. It is slightly out of the way, but not by much. And just in case you have extra time, visit one of the 2 NPS-run caves, Jewel or Wind Cave. They have great tours of each.

Are you camping or lodging? Do you have any idea where you might be staying each night?