New 'U.S. High Points' Page on Summit Post

New 'U.S. High Points' Page on Summit Post

February 23rd, 2006, 1:08 am #1

Summit Post members SawtoothSean, hgrapid and myself (Puma) have been working dilligently on this page since SP changed over to its new format. At this point, it's basically done. The best part of the page is that it contains links to each of the individual highpoint pages on SP2 which have been created by many different Summit Post members. Take a look if you like:

http://www.summitpost.org/list/171191/u ... oints.html

February 23rd, 2006, 6:22 pm #2

Just spent the last hour and a half reading your intro's instead of working. This will be a regular reference for many of us from now on. Thank You

February 24th, 2006, 6:35 pm #3

What I really love about a great and highly populated internet database like Summit Post is the ability to constantly update and/or add information ... not just on the group page but on all the individual pages as well. I don't think anyone would suggest using the internet instead of a good guidebook but the pages make great addendums and can also point you in the right direction for further research on your chosen route.

February 26th, 2006, 6:46 am #4

Summit Post members SawtoothSean, hgrapid and myself (Puma) have been working dilligently on this page since SP changed over to its new format. At this point, it's basically done. The best part of the page is that it contains links to each of the individual highpoint pages on SP2 which have been created by many different Summit Post members. Take a look if you like:

Summit Post is open source collaboration at its best. I can't imagine that any site will ever come close to touching it. Anyway I particularly liked the Google Mashup
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... _id=171191

I've finally learned how to do them so you will probably soon be being a flood of them here too.

February 27th, 2006, 1:16 pm #5

I was getting ready to switch highpointers.org primary links to this list which is much better updated because of its collaborative nature than any other site out there. However, I notice an anomaly in that Bear Mountain is also recognized as a highpoint (and why the list shows 51 entries -- I was expeting #51 to be DC).

We've been down this debate before. Bear mountain should come off the list. The slippery slope of highpoints on features with higher elevations in other states would also include Black Mesa where the highpoint of the mesa itself is actually in New Mexico and Backbone Mountain where the highpoint of the feature is actually in West Virginia and of course Boundary Peak where the summit of the massive is actually in California

The Highpointers Club couldn't care less if you climb Bear Mountain -- even it's probably a nicer hike than Frissell. I've even sent 50 completers back to Frissell because they didn't go the 100 yards or so beyond the summit in Massachusetts to the actual Nutmeg highpoint on the slope (which one completer dubbed "Roger's Peg").

This game is no fun unless you can nitpick especially when the site is so spectacular!

[Edited to include Boundary Peak, Nevada]
Last edited by dipper on February 27th, 2006, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2006, 5:29 pm #6

I see that Mount Lam Lam on Guam is also listed. U.S. territories should probably be kept as a separate list from the state highpoints. A correct state highpoint list should only contain 50 listings.

Here's the official list of territories:

American Samoa
District of Columbia
Guam
Marhsall Territories
Northern Marianas
Palau
Puerto Rico
U.S. Minor Islands
Virgin Islands

The territory list comes from the USGS:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/stategaz/index.html

Again I'm only being nitpicky because the summitpost material is so good and this no doubt will become the official source for all this info.

February 27th, 2006, 6:27 pm #7

I was getting ready to switch highpointers.org primary links to this list which is much better updated because of its collaborative nature than any other site out there. However, I notice an anomaly in that Bear Mountain is also recognized as a highpoint (and why the list shows 51 entries -- I was expeting #51 to be DC).

We've been down this debate before. Bear mountain should come off the list. The slippery slope of highpoints on features with higher elevations in other states would also include Black Mesa where the highpoint of the mesa itself is actually in New Mexico and Backbone Mountain where the highpoint of the feature is actually in West Virginia and of course Boundary Peak where the summit of the massive is actually in California

The Highpointers Club couldn't care less if you climb Bear Mountain -- even it's probably a nicer hike than Frissell. I've even sent 50 completers back to Frissell because they didn't go the 100 yards or so beyond the summit in Massachusetts to the actual Nutmeg highpoint on the slope (which one completer dubbed "Roger's Peg").

This game is no fun unless you can nitpick especially when the site is so spectacular!

[Edited to include Boundary Peak, Nevada]
We only only "control" the group page. When someone submits a page to Summit Post, they have the option of assigning it to a group. The folks who did the Bear Mountain and Lam Lam pages some time ago on Summit Post 1 felt their pages deserved "highpoint" status so they assigned it to this group. The "mistake" was repeated during the conversion to Summit Post 2 when the group page was created by the site maintainer.

Getting these peaks removed from the "toolbar" part of the list in the left margin would basically require one of us either asking the maintainers of the pages or the elves to delete them from this group. Not sure I want to do this. Could lead to bad blood. The only part of our text that refers to these non-highpoints is at the bottom where we basically explain they're not actually highpoints. I realize it screws up the mashup and we will certainly try to keep other non-highpoints off the mashup.

February 27th, 2006, 7:10 pm #8

Thanks Mark for doing such a great job. This is going to be the definitive source for this info (or at least the summit descriptions, trip reports, et al).

In addition to the comments I have also made my comments on the addition/corrections sections on the summitpost list.

I don't want to stir up bad blood as I know the summitpost is basically a volunteer effort.

In 20/20, I wish I had had the tech knowledge to have set up americasroof as a collaborative wiki where folks could correct it and kept it up to date. The lax stance on my part has spawned a whole host of folks who have wanted to do a better americasroof.

Summitpost is definitely best of breed.

Speaking of wiki, check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highpoints

Somebody has actually been improving it of late. Not all that long ago it was horribly inaccurate.

Both of those sites make me feel inadequate!

February 27th, 2006, 7:13 pm #9

I see that Mount Lam Lam on Guam is also listed. U.S. territories should probably be kept as a separate list from the state highpoints. A correct state highpoint list should only contain 50 listings.

Here's the official list of territories:

American Samoa
District of Columbia
Guam
Marhsall Territories
Northern Marianas
Palau
Puerto Rico
U.S. Minor Islands
Virgin Islands

The territory list comes from the USGS:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/stategaz/index.html

Again I'm only being nitpicky because the summitpost material is so good and this no doubt will become the official source for all this info.
I don't recall anybody ever making a claim for climbing the highpoints of all the territories. Oh boy! Time for a new list! Does such a list even exist? No doubt some of those island highpoints will make Florida look like Everest.

February 27th, 2006, 7:30 pm #10

Thanks Mark for doing such a great job. This is going to be the definitive source for this info (or at least the summit descriptions, trip reports, et al).

In addition to the comments I have also made my comments on the addition/corrections sections on the summitpost list.

I don't want to stir up bad blood as I know the summitpost is basically a volunteer effort.

In 20/20, I wish I had had the tech knowledge to have set up americasroof as a collaborative wiki where folks could correct it and kept it up to date. The lax stance on my part has spawned a whole host of folks who have wanted to do a better americasroof.

Summitpost is definitely best of breed.

Speaking of wiki, check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highpoints

Somebody has actually been improving it of late. Not all that long ago it was horribly inaccurate.

Both of those sites make me feel inadequate!
This is like a tennis match! I just saw your comments/additions and corrections on Summit Post. Anyway, I'm really glad you enjoy the page and would also add that you have done a kick-ass job over here for years.

Cheers.