National Parks highpoint book?

National Parks highpoint book?

November 2nd, 2005, 8:57 pm #1

I remember reading somewhere that some highpointers, perhaps John Mitchler was among them, were writting a guidebook to the NP highpoints. I was wondering if anyone can report on the progress of that project and when the book may be ready for publication.

Thanks

November 2nd, 2005, 9:58 pm #2

I believe the Winger's and Gerry Roach are collaborating on a book of NP highpoints. Is that correct Diane?

November 3rd, 2005, 7:53 pm #3

Dave Covill, Gerry Roach, and myself are finishing the chapters for a long-anticipated guidebook which describes the highest points of all 58 national parks. I'm unsure at this time if we'll also include the 6 ex-national parks or the 3 pending national parks.

In addition to gathering key information, we are also field checking/testing our chapters, so if anyone would like to participate in this, please email or phone me. Also, we will gladly accept good photos of park highpoints.

In recoginition of an early thread on this Forum, I must say that guidebook writing is entirely a labor of love, as the Wingers have testified. And when you split your ninety cent commission 3-ways, it gets down right bankrupt. But fun. If I worked a second job I could write two guidebooks!

So far this year I've visited Voyagers in MN (snowmobile to HP), Mammoth Cave in KY, Yosemite in CA, and Kenai Fjords in AK. My trip to Scotland bit deep into my parkpointing time. I still have 2005 intentions for Petrified Forest in AZ and Biscayne in FL. Dave & Gerry are doing their own circuit through the parks, so that we have them all covered before publication.

- John M.

November 3rd, 2005, 8:45 pm #4

John- let me know when you plan to hike the Petrified Forest HP. I am interested too, maybe we can hook up. I plan to hike Mica Mtn in Saguaro NP soon so I could field check that one for you if need be. Scott - bacsas at yahoo dot com.

November 4th, 2005, 1:06 am #5

Dave Covill, Gerry Roach, and myself are finishing the chapters for a long-anticipated guidebook which describes the highest points of all 58 national parks. I'm unsure at this time if we'll also include the 6 ex-national parks or the 3 pending national parks.

In addition to gathering key information, we are also field checking/testing our chapters, so if anyone would like to participate in this, please email or phone me. Also, we will gladly accept good photos of park highpoints.

In recoginition of an early thread on this Forum, I must say that guidebook writing is entirely a labor of love, as the Wingers have testified. And when you split your ninety cent commission 3-ways, it gets down right bankrupt. But fun. If I worked a second job I could write two guidebooks!

So far this year I've visited Voyagers in MN (snowmobile to HP), Mammoth Cave in KY, Yosemite in CA, and Kenai Fjords in AK. My trip to Scotland bit deep into my parkpointing time. I still have 2005 intentions for Petrified Forest in AZ and Biscayne in FL. Dave & Gerry are doing their own circuit through the parks, so that we have them all covered before publication.

- John M.
Thanks for writing the book, I've been looking forward to it. By the way, who is the publisher?

November 4th, 2005, 5:51 pm #6

Check out their many off-beat and interesting titles!

November 4th, 2005, 5:52 pm #7

John- let me know when you plan to hike the Petrified Forest HP. I am interested too, maybe we can hook up. I plan to hike Mica Mtn in Saguaro NP soon so I could field check that one for you if need be. Scott - bacsas at yahoo dot com.
I can send you a SAGU chapter to check out... When are you going?

Will you be around Thanksgiving week. We can do PEFO as a day hike, but must start/end in dark.

- john m

November 4th, 2005, 8:01 pm #8

John- send me an email bacsas@yahoo and we'll discuss. I may be able to join you. Been wanting to hike this one awhile now.

November 5th, 2005, 10:05 pm #9

I remember reading somewhere that some highpointers, perhaps John Mitchler was among them, were writting a guidebook to the NP highpoints. I was wondering if anyone can report on the progress of that project and when the book may be ready for publication.

Thanks
congrats on the book deal y'all!

mr john m., you casually mentioned that there are 6 ex-national parks. i have been racking my brains trying to think of what they are. in fact, i have often wondered if our exquisite park service has dropped any NP's from its list of beautiful lands. does anyone know what the six are?

November 7th, 2005, 7:07 pm #10

The most famous one is General Grant National Park, which became part of Kings Canyon NP. This is not to be confused with the General Grant National Memorial in NY. http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

Platt NP in OK was demoted down to a national rec area. http://www.nps.gov/chic/index.htm

Mackinack Island was a very early NP, but is not part of the NPS now. http://www.nps.gov/crla/brochures/nps.htm

Ft. McHenry was once a NP but is now a Nat Monument. http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

A 5th extinct NP was in ND and called Sullys Hill NP, but is now a game preserve operated by the USFS. http://www.fws.gov/sullyshill/

At some point we believed Casa Grande in AZ was a 6th extinct NP, but we haven't been able to confirm that.