Mt Rogers

Mt Rogers

December 21st, 2004, 2:48 am #1

Went with one of my partners to climb Mt Rogers yesterday. Steve has never hiked much in the mountains in the 5 years he's been here in the south, though he is originally from Albuquque. On I-81 there was no snow, at Elk Garden there was 6", it was about 20 with a steady snow fall. We made our way north on the AT. Steve doesn't have snowshoes, I do. As the snow got deeper, I made good time; Steve trudged on, sometimes up to his knees. By about Briar Ridge (the open field to the left about 3/4 mile south of the Mt Rogers summit trail) Steve decided he would like to turn around.

At the bald before the car, the wind had picked up, felt like 30 mph, temp was colder also, maybe 10, about a foot of snow. A nice winter hike. Steve placed a bid on e-bay today for some snowshoes. He told me he never realized the high peaks of the south (aquifers to some) get that much snow. He was not disappointed in letting his wife and kids go decorate cookies whilst he hiked

BTW,The low at Mt Mitchell this am was -15. Off to hike the crest of the Blacks (including Mitchell) with a fellow HP'er in January.

December 21st, 2004, 12:43 pm #2

> BTW,The low at Mt Mitchell this am was -15.

Went to check Mt Washington temps, expected them to be very low given that the current (7 AM) temp in Plymouth, low down in the valley, is -5. Surprise! On Mt Washington it is currently +14!! Balmy weather

December 21st, 2004, 12:47 pm #3

"Scanning the weather map this morning (the 20th, yesterday), I discovered some strange comparisons to our usually brutal peak. For instance… we’re about 15 degrees warmer than Whitefield, NH, a mere 15 miles away. It is colder in Atlanta, GA. It is windier in Philadelphia, PA. It is snowing harder in Cape Hatteras, NC. Lower windchills in Washington DC. And did anyone see the football game in Green Bay last night…even made us up here shiver."

December 22nd, 2004, 8:45 am #4

Went to check Mt Washington temps, expected them to be very low given that the current (7 AM) temp in Plymouth, low down in the valley, is -5. Surprise! On Mt Washington it is currently +14!! Balmy weather
Welcome back. Did you go under the knife recently?

December 22nd, 2004, 2:34 pm #5

Recovering from the last episode, waiting for a surgical appointment. I don't really expect surgery before spring.

December 24th, 2004, 2:58 am #6

Inversion layers in the mountains are a thrill, like finding yourself above the clouds or between cloud layers. Higher summits on tropical islands often rise above the tradewind inversion with dramatic effects as the NE or SE trades are replaced by a light W. wind, often drier and warmer. I've been to several such summits in different oceans.

I also remember a dramatic inversion one cold New Year's Day here in Boulder. At the foot of Rabbit Mt., one of our open space parks E. of Lyons, it was cold, hazy and foggy, well below freezing. A few hundred feet higher, it was T-shirt temperature.

Roger Williams, Boulder, Colorado (40 N., 105 15' W., el. 1625 m., 5300').