Mt Mitchell

Mt Mitchell

February 5th, 2007, 3:37 am #1

Looked at the Mt Mitchell weather station. Temp 0.5 and wind chill -49. Not Mt Washington cold but cold for down here in the tropics.

February 5th, 2007, 2:41 pm #2

That wind is a little more brisk than when we were there 2 years ago edoc. When we going back?

Bill

February 6th, 2007, 2:25 am #3

When do you want to go? Do the loop in reverse?

February 6th, 2007, 1:55 pm #4

Memorial Day Weekend?

February 15th, 2007, 11:29 pm #5

Looked at the Mt Mitchell weather station. Temp 0.5 and wind chill -49. Not Mt Washington cold but cold for down here in the tropics.
Patrick,

Given the renovation of the tower, what is the possibility of visiting Mt. Mitchell in the not so distant future. I'm thinking that since they're working on the summit, the BRP may be plowed more than normal, but would hate to be turned around right near the top.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel
daniel -at- txmountaineer ~dot~ com

February 16th, 2007, 3:04 am #6

Daniel,

The state park is only car accessable from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Currently the parkway from NC 80 is closed for maintanence on the Twin Tunnels. Only car access is from Asheville. If weather bad or significant icing under one of the tunnels in the Craggies, well........
its a long walk up a big eastern hill. For access see Mitchell state park homepage @ http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momi/home.html

The summit is closed because of construction of the new tower. Does anybody know how close you can get to the old tower? I think the thought is if you get to the fence, your close enough. I'd park at the park entrance hike out to Commissary Ridge and head up Mt Mitchell trail toward summit. Walk road down to campground and jump on the old Mitchell trail back to office. Ignore the rangers. If they ask you who gave you directions, I don't know nothing!

February 16th, 2007, 3:05 am #7

Memorial Day Weekend?
would love to take my son. Any ideas on routes? Need to talk to the captain.

February 17th, 2007, 8:44 pm #8

Daniel,

The state park is only car accessable from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Currently the parkway from NC 80 is closed for maintanence on the Twin Tunnels. Only car access is from Asheville. If weather bad or significant icing under one of the tunnels in the Craggies, well........
its a long walk up a big eastern hill. For access see Mitchell state park homepage @ http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momi/home.html

The summit is closed because of construction of the new tower. Does anybody know how close you can get to the old tower? I think the thought is if you get to the fence, your close enough. I'd park at the park entrance hike out to Commissary Ridge and head up Mt Mitchell trail toward summit. Walk road down to campground and jump on the old Mitchell trail back to office. Ignore the rangers. If they ask you who gave you directions, I don't know nothing!
Directions, what directions? I'm just wandering around up here...