Mt. Marcy

Mt. Marcy

March 27th, 2006, 5:47 pm #1

I am seeking information on camping along the trail up Mt Marcy, making it an overnighter. We are heading there in August if our plans work out right. I know that this is the busy time and there may be restrictions, but in general, I'd like to hear from people who may have camped along the trail (the Van Hoevenberg) along the way and hear the good and the bad about it.

March 27th, 2006, 9:09 pm #2

I did this last year in July as a day hike (see report here
http://www.network54.com/Forum/198362/m ... 13%2C+2005)

If you're going to camp along the way, I'd recommend going in via Avalanche Pass and camping at Lake Colden, then do Marcy as either a day hike from there or hike to Marcy and back via Van Hoevenberg the second day. The scenery is gorgeous from that direction and you'll miss it if you only do the Van Hoevenberg Trail, which is lacking in the scenery category.

Bill

March 27th, 2006, 9:15 pm #3

I am seeking information on camping along the trail up Mt Marcy, making it an overnighter. We are heading there in August if our plans work out right. I know that this is the busy time and there may be restrictions, but in general, I'd like to hear from people who may have camped along the trail (the Van Hoevenberg) along the way and hear the good and the bad about it.
There are a lot of new restrictions that have been incorporated into camping in the High Peaks in the last couple of years. Notably, you are now required to have a bear cannister between April and November, there is no camping above 3,500 feet unless at an approved site (none above 3,500 along the Van Hovenberg Trail as Indian Falls has been closed) and no campfires. The only reliable camping is going to be at Marcy Dam. There are a few other small clearings along the trail but you can't rely on them not being filled ... one is just before the Phelps Trail. Marcy Dam is first come, first served ... if you are there on a weekend, you will have a lot of company. Regarding the Self-issuing Trip Tickets, they are being phased out for day hikers, but you still need them for camping so don't forget to grab one at the trailhead at the Loj.

This is a good link that lays everything out:

http://www.adk.org/trails/High_Peaks_Hike-Backpack.aspx

Don't know if you have your heart set on overnighting but Marcy can easily be done in 6 to 8 hours by strong hikers.

March 27th, 2006, 9:18 pm #4

Unless, of course, you do as Bill S suggested and venture away from the Van Hovenberg Trail, in which case a lot more options will become available to you.

March 27th, 2006, 11:49 pm #5

I second the idea of veering off the Van Hoevenberg to go through Avalanche Pass and camp at Lake Colden. That's essentially what i did a couple of years ago. (trip report in the trip report section) But keep in mind that Avalanche Pass takes way longer than you'll think from looking at the map. If i had it to do again, i'd probably leave my stuff at camp and hike out the same way i came in, rather than cover more different ground by backpacking over the mountain and out on a different trail. The trail along the Opalescent River from Lake Colden to Marcy was my favorite part of the trip.

March 28th, 2006, 12:41 am #6

The routes from the east -- starting at the trailhead in Keene -- are much better. There are a number of trails from this side, just get a map. You can walk up a long valley with an array of camping options, or you can slog over a brutal string of peaks culminating in Marcy. Spent 4 days in there in late November 1994 when I did Marcy. At that time of year, we saw no one from the trailhead until the summit of Marcy, and all of sudden we were surrounded by people. When we intersected the Van Hoevenberg trail, it was likely coming out of the deep wilderness onto a city side walk.

If you want less people, come in from the east.

March 28th, 2006, 8:35 pm #7

Our trip to NY is still very inchoate, but in case we do get there, Mt Marcy is on our short list. Due to time and other considerations, we'll probably take the VH trail, even if it is a 'city street' on a weekend. We don't mind that. My wife's knees and ankles are arthritic and we were looking at spreading the hike over an overnight to take it slow, as well as to enjoy the backcountry.

BTW: how do others handle it when a loved one (and a climbing partner) develop limiting conditions such as arthritis? We have been forced to be very creative while in the field. Fortunately she can still hike as long as we tape her up and take it slow.