Mt Guyot(NC)

Mt Guyot(NC)

patrick
patrick

April 29th, 2002, 6:36 am #1

Up in the Smoky's(Great Smoky's) bagging Mt Guyot(6621 ft) and some other southern sixers. Mt Guyot is the county HP for Haywood county and the 4th tallest on the east coast. Most guides give the old manway from the AT north of Guyot spring as the easiest. From the false to true summits there is alot of blowdown, briars and its generally just obstructed. One should consider another route. At the high point of the AT, on the west side of Guyot, go up the ridge wherever it seems less grown over. The top, and the benchmark are about ~220 feet up and its not too terribly steep

Joe Walker
Joe Walker

April 29th, 2002, 9:06 pm #2

You say Guyot is the 4th tallest. 337#1 in Mithchell

What mountain in third?

J.W.

Mohamed Ellozy
Mohamed Ellozy

April 29th, 2002, 10:08 pm #3

Check out the East Beyond 6000 list on the americasroof site.

Craig
Craig

April 30th, 2002, 3:33 am #4

The top 2 are fairly easy to achieve. Of course Mt. Mitchell is a drive up. Mt Craig is just north of Mt Mitchell and I was able to climb over to it and back in about 3 hours on a fairly icy trail last Feburary.
(Although I am not sure if the "drive up" is an approved trail to achieve Mt. Mitchell for the patch)

Fred L.
Fred L.

April 30th, 2002, 11:46 am #5

Check out the East Beyond 6000 list on the americasroof site.
Note that while the elevation for Roan High Bluff has been corrected, its placement on the list has not. Roan High Bluff should be #18, and the present numbers 13 through 18 should be moved up one place.

patrick
patrick

April 30th, 2002, 12:52 pm #6

The top 2 are fairly easy to achieve. Of course Mt. Mitchell is a drive up. Mt Craig is just north of Mt Mitchell and I was able to climb over to it and back in about 3 hours on a fairly icy trail last Feburary.
(Although I am not sure if the "drive up" is an approved trail to achieve Mt. Mitchell for the patch)
~8.5 miles one way, 4400+ gain,1 mile bushwhack through briars, blowdowns and some rhodos(minimum distance)