Mt. Cheaha misadventure!

Mt. Cheaha misadventure!

Kevin Olds
Kevin Olds

February 22nd, 1999, 6:06 pm #1

I ventured to Mardi Gras this year and could not resist coming so close to a HP without going there. My party reached the Alabama HP about 6:30 CST, so the park was closed. We saw the building in the darkness, and I mistakenly thought that the USGS marker was inside it. So, we continued on. On the return trip we stopped again, and again the park was closed! This time, however, I found a Ranger. I explained that I might never be back to Alabama as I'm from NJ and was just passing through, but that I'd like to see the USGS marker. He said "Oh, your one of those". He was extremely helpful and said that the marker was about 20 feet in front of the door. So I went back up and took some photos. I'm sure I walked over it about 10 times in the darkness the first time, never realizing the marker was OUTSIDE the building!!

Roger
Roger

February 24th, 1999, 4:53 am #2

The above panorama shows the Woodall Mountain
summit.  You notice that the summit sign on the left has been stolen.
I was also on <A HREF="http://www.americasroof.com/al.html">Cheaha
Mountain</A> over Mardi Gras (and <A HREF="http://www.americasroof.com/ms.html">Woodall,
Mississipp</A>i, and <A HREF="http://www.americasroof.com/fl.html">Lakewood,
Florida</A>) -- polishing off the last of my peaks east of the Mississippi
and reaching my 30th summit.

<P class="MsoNormal">There must have been something
in the air.&nbsp; I finished the trip only to discover that I didn't have
film in my primary camera.&nbsp; However, since I'm doing these pages I
also shoot with 2 back ups and a video camera.&nbsp; Maybe there was something
in the air and we were distracted by other peaks in New Orleans.

<P class="MsoNormal">In any event I have the pages
up now.&nbsp; They also sport Java summit panoramas.

bill
bill

February 24th, 1999, 10:19 am #3

I ventured to Mardi Gras this year and could not resist coming so close to a HP without going there. My party reached the Alabama HP about 6:30 CST, so the park was closed. We saw the building in the darkness, and I mistakenly thought that the USGS marker was inside it. So, we continued on. On the return trip we stopped again, and again the park was closed! This time, however, I found a Ranger. I explained that I might never be back to Alabama as I'm from NJ and was just passing through, but that I'd like to see the USGS marker. He said "Oh, your one of those". He was extremely helpful and said that the marker was about 20 feet in front of the door. So I went back up and took some photos. I'm sure I walked over it about 10 times in the darkness the first time, never realizing the marker was OUTSIDE the building!!
don't worry, kev...i did the same thing in broad daylight. had to walk up and down that walkway several times.
then i got back in the car and realized i had no brakes. yikes!
fortunately, i have a standard shift and tip toed down to taladega. i had some concerns about getting fleeced(with my new york tags) but found this place that did brakes and transmissions.
the guy listened to my story and just said to wait 15 minutes. i tried and sure enough, the brakes were back! he said i had boiled my brake fluid and should have no problem now.
then he showed me the back way to the track...passed Hubcap City(wow) and i ended up standing at the base of turn two, taking pics(don't try this...they'll toss ya...take the tour)
anyways, a big hats off to the kind folks of taladega and all throughout the south who were so kind and helpful!!

March 11th, 2011, 12:21 am #4

The general description of this route is a 23-mile highway along the crest of Horseblock Mountain into Cheaha State Park, where one can visit Cheaha Mountain, highest point of Alabama.