Mount Marcy Trip report

Mount Marcy Trip report

October 10th, 2007, 7:41 pm #1

I just bagged Marcy last Saturday. That makes 21 HPs for me. I've posted my trip report. Please enjoy if you want to.

Matt DiBiase

October 10th, 2007, 8:10 pm #2

Nice report, Matt, and congrats. Those last two miles from the Dam DO take forever. I've done that walk more times than I can count and at the end of the day, you're always ready to just be done!

October 12th, 2007, 1:47 am #3

I just bagged Marcy last Saturday. That makes 21 HPs for me. I've posted my trip report. Please enjoy if you want to.

Matt DiBiase
Matt...I enjoyed your trip report. My wife and I hiked Mount Marcy the next day. We started our trip by flying into Burlington, VT Sat. night Oct. 6. No hotels in Stowe (of course) so we slept in our SUV. We climbed Mt. Mansfield, VT on Sunday, Oct. 7 via Long Trail and Profanity Trail, took the ferry across Lake Champlain and stayed at my sister's house in Plattsburgh, NY. We planned on leaving for Marcy early on Monday, Oct. 8 morning, but my sister heard us getting up and made coffee and we ended up visiting and getting a late start. It was raining when we left and I discovered that I had left my shell at home. A trip to Walmart allowed me to purchase a cheap rain coat. We hit the trail from the Adirondack Loj at 9:35 AM. Our trip was similar to your trip report except it rainied or misted all day. As we reached higher on the mountain the trail was like a stream with water running down it. When we got near the summit the wind picked up and was near 60-75 mph. The mist in the air made it difficult to see from one cairn to the next. There were a lot fewer people who made the summit that day. Probably about 10. We reached the summit at 2:45. We took the obligatory summit photo and headed back down the slippery rocks. We hiked the last 30 minutes with headlamps and reached our rental car at about 7:00 PM and then drove to North Adams, MA so we could tackle Mount Greylock. It was a long day!

Rest of the week:
Tuesday Oct. 9 Mount Greylock, MA via the Thunderbolt Trail with Mark S. and his Dad
Tuesday Oct.9 Jerimoth Hill, RI
Wednesday Oct. 10 Mount Frissell, CT via Frissell Trail and then down South Taconic Trail to Boston Corners Road, NY and then hitchhiked back to Washington Road North of Salisbury, CT
Wednesday Oct. 10 High Point, NJ
Wednesday Oct. 10 Ebright Azimuth, DE HP #30 (including at least 5 in every region) for me and #20 for my wife
Thursday, Oct. 11 Flew back to WI from Philadelphia

October 12th, 2007, 6:51 am #4

Hey, Doug, it's too bad that you couldn't have brought some of the great Wisconsin weather you provided for WI 2007 with you to NY! Sounds like you had quite an adventure. Did you have a "Point" afterwards? You certainly deserved it! See ya, eh? JES

October 12th, 2007, 10:40 am #5

Hey Jim-
No Point beer, but I did have a Labatts Blue! It seemed that we had nice weather for every other mountain. We had nice views of the fall colors on Mansfield, Greylock, and High Point. I was surprised by the nice park at High Point, New Jersey. It should make a nice location for the 2009 Highpointers Convention.

October 23rd, 2007, 12:54 pm #6

Matt DiBiase
Summitted Ebright, High Point, and Marcy this past weekend, numbers 32, 33, and 34 for us! Only 16 more to go!! We are still on track to do them all in 5 years hopefully, although it will be slower now with a baby and lots of the harder ones left. We had lots of snow on Marcy and the high peaks region was fantastic.

October 23rd, 2007, 12:56 pm #7

I failed to mention our 10-week old did marcy with us. She may be the youngest to summit, especially in the near winter conditions we faced on the summit.