More Than 3,000 Climb Greylock in 38th Annual Ramble

More Than 3,000 Climb Greylock in 38th Annual Ramble

roger
roger

October 14th, 2003, 9:21 pm #1

Thousands of hikers step up for Greylock Ramble
By Donna Roberts
North Adams Transcript
ADAMS -- The phrase many hikers most wanted to hear on the 38th annual Ramble on Mount Greylock Monday was, "You're almost there!"

Thousands of hikers from all over the world traveled to Berkshire County on Columbus Day for the traditional climb, which has often been a big draw for residents and tourists whether rain or shine. This year, red, orange, and yellow leaves dotting the landscape could be seen for miles against a canvas of clear blue sky.
According to Pam Duval, one of the Ramble organizers, they handed out over 1,000 certificates by noon to what was a steady crowd from 9 a.m. on. The total was 1,800 by the end of the day, and the final hiker count was believed to be over 3,000.
http://www.thetranscript.com/Stories/0, ... 35,00.html

Another story:
http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/hea ... 9&SecID=33

Olivier Kozlowski
Olivier Kozlowski

October 14th, 2003, 11:59 pm #2

Ok, so Greylock has this, Mt. Washington has at least a bike race and a foot race, I think Whitney was included in the Sierra Challenge a few years ago. I even hear there's something going on at Rainier next year; wonder what that could be?

Are there other such events, particularly on the western peaks? I would love to bag one of them as part of a 1 or 2 day adventure race, for instance. I think one of the race series went at least onto the slopes of Hood last year, though probably not to the summit.

Bill S
Bill S

October 15th, 2003, 12:47 pm #3

Hmmm.......

Mark B
Mark B

October 15th, 2003, 3:12 pm #4

Only if you didn't finish first...

Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith

October 15th, 2003, 4:43 pm #5

Ok, so Greylock has this, Mt. Washington has at least a bike race and a foot race, I think Whitney was included in the Sierra Challenge a few years ago. I even hear there's something going on at Rainier next year; wonder what that could be?

Are there other such events, particularly on the western peaks? I would love to bag one of them as part of a 1 or 2 day adventure race, for instance. I think one of the race series went at least onto the slopes of Hood last year, though probably not to the summit.
There is a race between the Pacific Coast and Mt. Hood that Oregon holds every year. The waiting list for entry is quite long from what I hear.

Cheers!

Dan

Olivier Kozlowski
Olivier Kozlowski

October 15th, 2003, 4:56 pm #6

I have heard something of this. I think it's a relay and begins or ends at Timberline Lodge. Close, but no summit. I believe Whitney has a similar race that ends at Whitney Portal.

Roger Williams
Roger Williams

October 16th, 2003, 12:06 am #7

I think there's a foot race up Pike's Peak back of Colorado Springs (as well as an auto race). Might even be a bike race. There's also a New Year's Eve climb with fireworks on top.

Bill S
Bill S

October 16th, 2003, 1:40 pm #8

Every year in August Leadville has bike and foot races. There's the 100 mile foot race that goes along the foot of Mt. Elbert on the Colorado Trail, but doesn't summit. When I was there last summer they were having the 100 mile bike race. It crossed the road at Twin Lakes, so again, it gets close to Elbert but doesn't cross over it.

For those who can't get too enthusiastic about 100 mile races, they also have a marathon (only 26.2 miles).

Deez
Deez

October 16th, 2003, 2:04 pm #9

I have heard something of this. I think it's a relay and begins or ends at Timberline Lodge. Close, but no summit. I believe Whitney has a similar race that ends at Whitney Portal.
Sons of the Revolution,

My brother did Hood to Coast last year. It's a pretty major operation, if you know what I'm sayin! He said he loved it, the scenery was beyond compare. They have about 1,000 teams of twelve runners. The race starts at Timberline Lodge (close to the peak of Mt. Hood but not quite there) and the course wiggles until it reaches the coast at Seaside, OR. Each runner does two legs of the relay. Each leg is around 7-10 miles. So I guess you gots to be in shape, compadre!

Check out all the gory details at www.hoodtocoast.com

Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith

October 16th, 2003, 5:02 pm #10

Every year in August Leadville has bike and foot races. There's the 100 mile foot race that goes along the foot of Mt. Elbert on the Colorado Trail, but doesn't summit. When I was there last summer they were having the 100 mile bike race. It crossed the road at Twin Lakes, so again, it gets close to Elbert but doesn't cross over it.

For those who can't get too enthusiastic about 100 mile races, they also have a marathon (only 26.2 miles).
I know that there is an annual snowshoe race beginning in Twin Lakes that goes up over Elbert's summit and back down. I can't remember what its called though =)

Dan