MO, AR & LA hike-to?

MO, AR & LA hike-to?

January 21st, 2006, 8:37 pm #1

I'm planning to visit these high points in conjunction with an exhibit on RMS `Titanic' at the St. Louis Science Center (slsc.org). This is slated to end April 16 so I plan to visit sometime in April. Hope I can expect nice spring weather then.

I also plan to visit the new Confluence Park for the Mo. & Miss. I've already got details on this from the forum; it's apparently near St. Charles, Mo. N. of St. Louis.

As usual I'd like to hike the last few miles to these high points instead of driving to them. Several miles if possible not a few hundred yards or a 25-mi. overnight special. What would be a good starting point, especially for Taum Sauk and Magazine? I suppose for Driskill you'd start at the church, however far that is. Apparently the dam failure near Taum Sauk didn't affect that high point. Is there a museum for Jack Longacre near there? Did Katrina or Wilma affect Driskill or the other high points?

Any advice will be appreciated. Roger Williams (16 + many abroad), Boulder, Colo.

January 22nd, 2006, 1:26 am #2

The short-and-sweet hike up to Taum Sauk in MO starts at the Claybaugh Creek trailhead just south of where Highway CC (the road into Taum Sauk State Park) takes off from Highway 21. This is about a 6-mile trail with about 1,000' of gain (and at least 250' of loss as it drops through a valley after climbing the first ridge). Nice trail, but you'll need to either hike it both ways or have a way of spotting a car at the top, first.

The stretch of the Ozark Trail that goes through Johnson Shutins State Park is (not surprisingly) closed until further notice because of the reservoir failure and resultant flood damage to that park. I'd have to look to see which other trailheads are available, but you should be able to get ot other points on the O.T. that lead to Taum Sauk if you want a longer or overnight hike.

If you want to discuss it more off-list, drop me an email at alan<dot>ritter<at>bausch<dot>com. (Replace the <dot> with . and <at> with @, obviously!) I'm near St. Louis, so a couple of hours from Taum Sauk, but serve as the Club liaison for my home state highpoint...yell if I can be of further assistance! You can also read about some of my visits to Taum Sauk on my WWW site.

January 24th, 2006, 4:29 am #3

I'm planning to visit these high points in conjunction with an exhibit on RMS `Titanic' at the St. Louis Science Center (slsc.org). This is slated to end April 16 so I plan to visit sometime in April. Hope I can expect nice spring weather then.

I also plan to visit the new Confluence Park for the Mo. & Miss. I've already got details on this from the forum; it's apparently near St. Charles, Mo. N. of St. Louis.

As usual I'd like to hike the last few miles to these high points instead of driving to them. Several miles if possible not a few hundred yards or a 25-mi. overnight special. What would be a good starting point, especially for Taum Sauk and Magazine? I suppose for Driskill you'd start at the church, however far that is. Apparently the dam failure near Taum Sauk didn't affect that high point. Is there a museum for Jack Longacre near there? Did Katrina or Wilma affect Driskill or the other high points?

Any advice will be appreciated. Roger Williams (16 + many abroad), Boulder, Colo.
The trail from my trip report for Taum Sauk is, as Alan said, closed.

The trail i reported on from the Green Bench trailhead to the top of Magazine i assume is open. It's a steep and pleasant couple of hours to the top, passing some rock formations with bouldering possibilities.

I believe everything around Driskill is private, hunting land, or both. I've never heard of any reasonable, let alone desirable, route other than the dirt road / trail from the church.

January 24th, 2006, 5:09 pm #4

MO: The area is nice, but unfortunately the trail we hiked up is now closed. Try visiting nearby Elephant Rocks State Park, which is neat.

AR: we did the 11-mile Cove Creek Trail, which was a great walk. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jcartne/a ... /my_photos

havent done LA yet.

January 24th, 2006, 9:34 pm #5

According to Alan Ritter the Claybaugh Creek Trail, which leaves Rt. 21 ~a mi. S. of its junction with Rt. CC to Taum Sauk State Park, makes a nice hike to Taum Sauk Mt. 6 mi. OW w/a 1200' el. gain (250' extra), it should be walkable in a day despite my shortness of breath problem. A bit of it's shown on Zumwalt's map then it peters out (on the map).

From various sources, the Greenfield and Signal Hill Trails link the Magazine Mt. Visitors' Center to the top of Signal Hill, a pleasant 7-mile RT hike. The best or only route up Driskill is apparently the road from the church.

I'm also interested in 2 Buttes, a prominent feature in SE Colorado N. of Black Mesa. Apparently this can now be climbed; directions to it would be appreciated. Finally, is it possible to visit the confluence of the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers? I know the big one, Mo. and Miss., is now a park and can be visited; directions are in the forum.

Roger Williams (16, + many abroad), Boulder, Colorado.

January 25th, 2006, 12:45 pm #6

I was at Driskill Mt in October and the HP is fine. There was no visible damage from the hurricanes and the trail is open and unobscured. The only thing that I caution you about is to make sure that you go to the correct hill. A lot of people assume that the first hill to the right of the main trail is the HP, however you need to stay on the main trail and traverse around the first hill, drop down a slight incline, and head back up to the HP which is well marked with a sign and register. The hike from the church is a nice one, just under a mile in length which gives you the feeling that you have done something more then simply driving up to the highpoint and getting out of the car.

I also had the chance to visit the Mississippi HP during this same trip and was glad to see that there was also no damage done from the hurricanes. If you want to hike to this HP, you'll have to park at the bottom of the hill and hike up the access road because I don't think there are any trails leading to the top and Woodall Mt is surrounded by private property.

Have fun.
Gary

January 25th, 2006, 10:19 pm #7

Roger,

Take a look at the Magazine report on my website (www.txmountaineer.com) for info on a portion of the enjoyable Cove Lake Trail. Its ~5mi each way and entails ~1700' of gain.

Good Luck!
Daniel