minn, wisc and mich

minn, wisc and mich

July 30th, 2006, 9:41 pm #1

I have a four day weekend this week and was wondering if it was feasible to hit all 3 in a couple of days? I live in southern missouri so it will take a day to get there and another to return. Thanks in advance.

July 30th, 2006, 11:08 pm #2

Driving from MO, I rather doubt it...

We did those three, along with IL, OH and IN, in a week-long trip back in '99. Minnesota is a nice dayhike and far enough away from WI and MI that it'd take at least a full day on its own. WI is easy, but MI is a bit of a trick to find and, depending on road conditions, may also be a hike. (We only had to walk about 1/4 mile but the faint of heart probably would have quit 1/2 to 1 mile earlier. I trusted our Saab to navigate the rutted logging roads pretty well but depending on your car and willingness to back out quite a way for lack of a spot to turn around, you might have more of a hike.)

Take a look at the trip report under the "highpointing" section of my WWW site and see what you think. I would agree that the three should take less than the 9 days we spent bagging six around the midwest, but a four-day weekend seems kinda short to me.

July 31st, 2006, 1:00 am #3

I have a four day weekend this week and was wondering if it was feasible to hit all 3 in a couple of days? I live in southern missouri so it will take a day to get there and another to return. Thanks in advance.
We drove a total of 3200 miles from Albany NY and hit these three HPs over a few days in August 2004. It was a pretty hectic but enjoyable trip.

August 19 - left NY and drove to Kalamazoo, MI on a non-HP related matter.
August 20 - summitted Mount Arvon around 5 PM and drove until midnight.
August 21 - on the road early; summitted Timms Hill mid-morning and hiked Eagle Mountain in late afternoon. Drove to Madison, WI ... getting a hotel at 4 AM
August 22 - drove back to NY, getting home around 2 AM on the 23rd.

Obviously your starting point is different so adjust accordingly. After this trip, we started flying.

July 31st, 2006, 3:33 am #4

Seems doable to me..

First day, drive all the way to Marquette..
Wake up early the next morning and head to Arvon.
You can get from Arvon to Timms in about half-a-day..
After Timms, Drive towards Eagle and spend the night in a nearby town.. it'll be late, but I think you'd be there before midnight.
Wake up early again, hit the eagle trailhead by 8am.. you're done by 4 (very conservative estimate)..

you have all night, plus the entire next day to get home.

July 31st, 2006, 6:06 am #5

On the afternoon of August 4, 2005, I flew to O'Hare Airport in Chicago, and rented a car.

I drove straight to the trailhead for Timms Hill, WI, reaching it that evening. After visiting the highpoint (and climbing the tower), I drove northward and camped in northern WI. The next morning (August 5, 2005), I drove to the trailhead for Mount Arvon, MI. After hiking to the highpoint, I drove to the trailhead for Eagle Mountain, MN. I hiked to the summit of Eagle Mountain (less than 24 hours after landing in Chicago), and then drove south of Duluth, taking a hotel for the night. The following day (August 6) I visited Hawkeye Point and the next day I visited Charles Mound on the open date, finishing up the Lower 48 HPs.

If you don't mind driving a bunch, and if you have your route planned out, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.