Looking for partner - highpoints western states

June 14th, 2004, 11:43 pm #1

Hello,

I am looking for a climbing partner for trips to western states
highpoints on which route is class 4: Mt Rainier (WA), Mt Hood (OR),
Gannett and also Grand Teton (WY) and Granite Peak (MT). I plan the
trips in July and August 2004.

June 17th, 2004, 6:19 am #2

See my Hood post below, and let me know if that might be when you would be there...i have a couple of "maybes" but i'm still really in search of a team.

June 26th, 2004, 11:14 pm #3

Hello,

I am looking for another person to climb the high points of WY and MT. I live in Colorado and have reached over 200 summits above 13,800. Also have technical gear and experience. In July I am scheduled to climb Rainier and Hood with a pretty full group. I leave home on July 12th and will be back home by August 1st. My schedule is quite flexible.

July 8th, 2004, 12:41 pm #4

Hello,

Hi, I'm planning to be in Dubois, Wyoming the weekend of July 17th, was planning to start out sometime on the 17th, was going to access Gannett via the Glacier Trail outside of Dubois. I"m looking for possibly 1 or 2 partners. Originally, we had 3 in our party scheduled to go. One guy injured his knee recently so now he can not go. The other guy in our party now possibly might not be able to go. I'm still planning to make the trip out there this summer even if it is just myself. Was thinking I might be able to hook up with somone on the trail or even maybe before........Let me know if this might fit in with your plans....I've summitted Mt Rainier, Mt. Shasta, Mt. Whitney, and a few other smaller peaks so do have "some" experience. Anyway, let me know ......Thanks!!!

July 11th, 2004, 5:51 pm #5

Hello,

Check out my Rainier posting.

JP

August 20th, 2004, 10:04 pm #6

I am looking for another person to climb the high points of WY and MT. I live in Colorado and have reached over 200 summits above 13,800. Also have technical gear and experience. In July I am scheduled to climb Rainier and Hood with a pretty full group. I leave home on July 12th and will be back home by August 1st. My schedule is quite flexible.
Eric:

We're headed to Red Lodge on the night of 8/25 and plan to begin hiking up Granite on 8/26, using the Mystic/Phantom/Froze-to-Death route. We'll be a group of 3 or 4.

If successful, this will be our 49th state HP. Just did Gannett last month.

If you're interested in joining us, email or call me at 530-757-1514 or cell 530-220-3492.

Tim

August 23rd, 2004, 1:47 am #7

Hi ,

I was just curious to know which HP was left after #49,

I am at #47 and going for #48, 49 and 50.

Having done Granite last year, I still have WA, OR and WY to go,,,

Good luck again with Granite

August 23rd, 2004, 9:12 pm #8

Serge:

Over the past 8 years we have sort of tackled the HP's in increasingly difficult order -- certainly the last few have been among the tougher ones. If we do well on Granite, the "only" one left is the Big One, all 6194 meters of it. After reading our climbing friend Ed Darack's book, "6194: Denali Solo," my wife has zero interest in climbing Denali. Although it is a great read and has a lot of funny stuff (some of which I believe is unintentional), I now wonder if it was a mistake letting her read it! Hopefully you had a pretty straightforward experience on Denali.

Having done Denali and Granite, I believe you'll enjoy Rainier, Hood, and Gannett without being too apprehensive about the level of difficulty.

Hood took us three tries because of really foul conditions in '99 and again in '02. However, when we climbed it in June '03 under perfect conditions, I dare say it was a snap. Gannett, in retrospect, was a bit of a similar story. We got spooked by bad weather, rockfall, and inexperience last August, but when we went back this year in mid-July, there wasn't anything technically tricky. To be prepared, our team brought ropes/pickets/helmets/crampons/axes, etc.., but then ran into a solo guy at the top with NONE of the above equipment. So under the conditions we experienced, it was easier than anticipated.

Tim