Looking for 10-mile Sassafras Hike

Looking for 10-mile Sassafras Hike

June 6th, 2007, 2:21 pm #1

I'm getting ready to hike the South Carolina Highpoint, Sassafras Mountain, in a few weeks, and I'm looking for a 10-mile roundtrip hike. I had a map of such a hike at one time, but now can't find it. I think the hike starts at Rocky Bottom, but I can't quite remember. Your help and suggestions with this hike are appreciated...especially locating the trail head!

June 6th, 2007, 4:40 pm #2

Take a look at some of the trail descriptions at this website:
http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/alltrail ... hills.html
This trail goes real close to Sassafras, so you might be able to find a good route for your hike.

Good luck.

June 7th, 2007, 4:29 am #3

I'm getting ready to hike the South Carolina Highpoint, Sassafras Mountain, in a few weeks, and I'm looking for a 10-mile roundtrip hike. I had a map of such a hike at one time, but now can't find it. I think the hike starts at Rocky Bottom, but I can't quite remember. Your help and suggestions with this hike are appreciated...especially locating the trail head!
I can recommend the Foothills Trail from the east, starting at Table Rock state park, but that's 10 miles ONE way. It crosses over some viewful balds which are good for camping.

June 7th, 2007, 3:44 pm #4

Hiking from Rocky Bottom up to Sassafras and back down is what we did. Its only about a 5-6 mile round trip hike if I remember correctly. Its not all that scenic, but a nice walk on gradual grade. There are not many options to approach Sassafras, either from the Foothills from the West or from the East. The Foothills Trail is a wonderful trail though...and would recommend to anyone. We've actually thru-hiked it 3 times.

June 8th, 2007, 1:08 am #5

Thanks for everyone's help! I think I've remembered the route...the Foothills trail from the Laurel Valley parking lot outside Rocky Bottom to Chimneytop Gap, then to Sassafras, and back. This looks like about 10 miles with a 2,000 foot elevation gain. Wish me luck, and if anybody doesn't think this sounds right, let me know....