Konvention 2006 NC is History

Konvention 2006 NC is History

August 7th, 2006, 11:16 am #1

We had a ball at the Konvention after dealing with some heat and a few SNAFU"s that generally go along with these things.

Folks started coming in on Thursday afternoon, taking advantage of things to do in the area. Many with young ones of their own, Grand kids, etc... The swimming pool definitely served it's purpose both during the break times and at the "Friday Night Burger's and Dog's" event. We had to switch to a more shaded spot in the pool area / court yard which provided a nice breeze as well.

Saturday found many Highpointer's using different options to enjoy the day while preparing for the evening festivities. The Folk Art Center presentations, Mount Mitchell visit, Biltmore Estate & NC Arboretum tours, Chimney Rock Park, Grandfather Mountain and many more.

Taylor Ranch provided a beautiful atmosphere, although the heat was a bit of a problem but subsided as the Sun went down and we settled in to eat some fine North Carolina BBQ and a few beverages. Before, and after dinner, the young ones could fish at the pond and roast marshmallows at the fire ring while the older folks got the run down on the upcoming Wisconsin Konvention presented by the great legend in his own mind Jim Sutton and a wonderful presentation by Stuart Smith.

After Don Holmes' annual "Lame Joke", door prizes were dished out. We had a special raffle to offset Konvention cost's and gave away several smoker's, grills and a wooden highpoint map provided by Bob Ferris. Thanks Bob.

This was the prime time to bag the "Southern Six-Pack." Many were taken before, during and on the way out of the show. Congratulations to all that bagged any or all.

One thing for sure... THERE IS CERTAINLY A PATRICK CRAFT PERSON!!! Many actually met him and it's not really a Zorro kinda thing.

May thanks go out to all that helped. With my recent illness, it wouldn't have gone off as well with out the help, and support of Jean T, my better half Mary Jane, Tim Webb, The MacKay's, Patrick Craft, the Stambaugh's,Gary White, Nik and the Crew and a special thanks to Ashley at Taylor Ranch for having everything under control and providing wonderful service with a wonderful staff, the personnel at the Blue Ridge Conference Center and the Asheville Visitor Bureau. Hope I've not left out anyone... if so... thank you very much!

2008 was voted on and will be happening in ARIZONA!!! Get ready Rick Hartman... you better watch out what you wish for...

See ya'll there.

Craig
The Membership Guy

August 7th, 2006, 12:24 pm #2

The convention was spectacular and the venue at the Taylor Ranch was the prettiest of any convention what with the lake, mountain vistas, pasture, longhorn cattle, horses, etc.

Craig and Mary Jane are the unheralded heroes of the convention having done the heavy lifting even as Craig faced some pretty hard core hospitalizations -- and all done without any complaints!

August 7th, 2006, 12:26 pm #3

We had a ball at the Konvention after dealing with some heat and a few SNAFU"s that generally go along with these things.

Folks started coming in on Thursday afternoon, taking advantage of things to do in the area. Many with young ones of their own, Grand kids, etc... The swimming pool definitely served it's purpose both during the break times and at the "Friday Night Burger's and Dog's" event. We had to switch to a more shaded spot in the pool area / court yard which provided a nice breeze as well.

Saturday found many Highpointer's using different options to enjoy the day while preparing for the evening festivities. The Folk Art Center presentations, Mount Mitchell visit, Biltmore Estate & NC Arboretum tours, Chimney Rock Park, Grandfather Mountain and many more.

Taylor Ranch provided a beautiful atmosphere, although the heat was a bit of a problem but subsided as the Sun went down and we settled in to eat some fine North Carolina BBQ and a few beverages. Before, and after dinner, the young ones could fish at the pond and roast marshmallows at the fire ring while the older folks got the run down on the upcoming Wisconsin Konvention presented by the great legend in his own mind Jim Sutton and a wonderful presentation by Stuart Smith.

After Don Holmes' annual "Lame Joke", door prizes were dished out. We had a special raffle to offset Konvention cost's and gave away several smoker's, grills and a wooden highpoint map provided by Bob Ferris. Thanks Bob.

This was the prime time to bag the "Southern Six-Pack." Many were taken before, during and on the way out of the show. Congratulations to all that bagged any or all.

One thing for sure... THERE IS CERTAINLY A PATRICK CRAFT PERSON!!! Many actually met him and it's not really a Zorro kinda thing.

May thanks go out to all that helped. With my recent illness, it wouldn't have gone off as well with out the help, and support of Jean T, my better half Mary Jane, Tim Webb, The MacKay's, Patrick Craft, the Stambaugh's,Gary White, Nik and the Crew and a special thanks to Ashley at Taylor Ranch for having everything under control and providing wonderful service with a wonderful staff, the personnel at the Blue Ridge Conference Center and the Asheville Visitor Bureau. Hope I've not left out anyone... if so... thank you very much!

2008 was voted on and will be happening in ARIZONA!!! Get ready Rick Hartman... you better watch out what you wish for...

See ya'll there.

Craig
The Membership Guy
I've posted my first photo album.

http://flickr.com/photos/americasroof/s ... 227476090/

I did it quick. You can help by identifying the folks in the photos (I posted it fast and didn't check names). If you have individual photos email them to me at roger.rowlett@americasroof.com (try to be selective). If you have your own gallery send me a link!

August 7th, 2006, 12:27 pm #4

See ya'll there.

Craig
The Membership Guy
Stony Burk was awarded the 2006 Vin Hoeman award for a whole host of work including creating our signs and of course giving up his holiday weekends for the open access weekends. Way to go Stony!

August 7th, 2006, 12:29 pm #5

I did it quick. You can help by identifying the folks in the photos (I posted it fast and didn't check names). If you have individual photos email them to me at roger.rowlett@americasroof.com (try to be selective). If you have your own gallery send me a link!

While I've posted some info on
http://highpointers.org

and the gallery. There's a sighting of a flesh and blood Patrick Craft

August 7th, 2006, 2:10 pm #6

The convention was spectacular and the venue at the Taylor Ranch was the prettiest of any convention what with the lake, mountain vistas, pasture, longhorn cattle, horses, etc.

Craig and Mary Jane are the unheralded heroes of the convention having done the heavy lifting even as Craig faced some pretty hard core hospitalizations -- and all done without any complaints!
Thank you both for the time and effort you spent on making the 2006 Konvention a sucess. The Taylor Ranch was a great choice for the banquet and their personnel are to be commended. I think the serving of the food was the quickest of any konvention yet. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Wisconsin!

August 7th, 2006, 2:13 pm #7

While I've posted some info on
http://highpointers.org

and the gallery. There's a sighting of a flesh and blood Patrick Craft
There really is a Patrick behind all of those forum post's!
See you on a southern 6-er soon & thanks for leading the Mitchell hike.

August 7th, 2006, 4:22 pm #8

I hate to disappoint but that sighting was my body double, stand in, evil twin Skippy. I had a great time, nice to put faces with names. I was surprised to see so many people at the Ranch, which is a good thing. Ron Tagliapietra hauled me into the wilds west of Asheville most of the day Sunday. (I curse the day for not bringing long pants.) But what a hoot, magically appearing food and beer, great speaker, great trails, great people, just not enough time. My son asked me last night if we could go to the Cheese state next year!

BTW 1. Craig, do the brothers still have any recipe after the car accident?
2.Don is that invite to the Sierras still open? I'm not sure you remember, let me refresh you....................

August 12th, 2006, 2:49 am #9

... having a good time.

Thanks ya'll for being there.