Katahdin vs Camp Muir on Rainier

Katahdin vs Camp Muir on Rainier

May 17th, 2006, 2:44 pm #1

I was wondering if folks that have done both could tell me if getting to Camp Muir is easier or tougher than getting from the trailhead to the summit of Katahdin.

I was planning to schedule a guided trip up Rainier, but I'm not sure I'm physically in shape enough to do the climb. Obviously Rainier is a 2 day trip were as Katahdin is a day hike. I'm trying to evaluate them one day at a time. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jack

May 17th, 2006, 3:12 pm #2

I'd say Camp Muir is easier to reach than Katahdin. It's a long haul on trail and then across a snowfield. Easy does it. Katahdin is underrated.

May 20th, 2006, 4:32 am #3

I was wondering if folks that have done both could tell me if getting to Camp Muir is easier or tougher than getting from the trailhead to the summit of Katahdin.

I was planning to schedule a guided trip up Rainier, but I'm not sure I'm physically in shape enough to do the climb. Obviously Rainier is a 2 day trip were as Katahdin is a day hike. I'm trying to evaluate them one day at a time. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jack
I agree with what John said. This assumes the weather is reasonable or all bets are off. Muir is simply taking one step after the other on the snow field, no rocks or bugs to worry about.

May 20th, 2006, 9:14 am #4

Thanks,

Jack
Twice as easy. That said, even without considering the techinical and safety aspects, the SUMMIT day on Ranier is at least twice as taxing as Katahdin, at least comparing Disappointment Cleaver to Roaring Brook.

Makes me want to do both again...