Illinois access dates?

Illinois access dates?

January 24th, 2007, 2:10 pm #1

Does anyone know if the open access dates for the Illinois highpoint will continue to be the first weekends of the summer months in 2007? I am planning a trip in June and hoping to visit Charles Mound at that time.

Do I need to contact the owners in advance on open access weekends?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

January 24th, 2007, 3:42 pm #2

According to my Highpointers calendar:
June 2-3
July 7-8
August 4-5
September 1-2

Access may also be granted to those attending the Highpointers Convention in Wisconsin July 27-28, but I'm not sure about the dates.

I think they like to be contacted: wwuebbels@mwci.net or phone 815-845-2625 (work), 815-845-2552 (home)

I sent them a Thank You note as well last year.

Check out:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... mound.html

http://americasroof.com/il.shtml

January 25th, 2007, 2:20 pm #3

My understanding is that the owners do NOT need to be called when you come on an open weekend, and that they have specifically asked that people do NOT call them at home (which folks were doing at all hours).  Perhaps John can verify or correct this information.

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com

January 25th, 2007, 10:08 pm #4

You are right Diane. No phone calls. I was just passing on some out-of-date information that I found in some book called Highpoint Adventures by Charlie and Diane Winger. Wink...Wink.

January 26th, 2007, 12:28 pm #5

Thanks for the info!

January 26th, 2007, 7:48 pm #6

Calling the Illinois owners is totally undeeded, but you can if you like; they don't mind.

Just don't phone them "after hours." They've received calls late in the evening and early morning (6am) which is disruptful and rude.

When I was there last June 3, most of the folks simply showed up on the open access date. I called ahead of course, because I specifically needed to discuss access during the Wisconsin convention in July 2007.

Just remember: access is open during daylight hours during the first full weekends in the summer months (June, July, August, September). The HP newsletter and annual directory provide more recent information, as may this website.

The exact access situation during the WI07 convention will be announced. Jean W. was recovering from an illness when I was there so we couldn't spend time nailing down the dates. Wayne W. simply said we'd have access around the convention.

Feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

- John M.

February 7th, 2007, 6:04 pm #7

My understanding is that the owners do NOT need to be called when you come on an open weekend, and that they have specifically asked that people do NOT call them at home (which folks were doing at all hours).  Perhaps John can verify or correct this information.

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com
WE DON'T MINF BEING CALLED AT HOME ....AS LONG AS IT IS NOT AT 6 AM ON A WEEKEND(WHICH HAS HAPPENED).

WHILE WE DON'T HAVE TO BE CALLED IF YOU ARE COMING ON AN OPEN ACCESS DATE, WE LIKE TO HAVE AN IDEA WHO IS COMING.

WE REALLY PREFER AN EMAIL- AND WE WILL EMAIL YOU BACK SOME SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS.
EMAIL ADDRESS: charlesmound@gmail.com

ER ARE REALLY TRYING TO BE ACCOMODATING TO EVERYONE, AND ARE SO VERY SORRY THAT SOME POEPLE ARE ANGERED BY US.

JEAN WUEBBELS

February 7th, 2007, 8:19 pm #8

Thank you to the Wuebbels for being so gracious to all the visitors! And being so patient when someone tests your goodwill. I visited back in 1998 when we were allowed to walk-up the road w/o an advanced call, but my wife and I will eventually get back that way so she can claim Illinois for herself.

February 21st, 2007, 7:40 pm #9

WE DON'T MINF BEING CALLED AT HOME ....AS LONG AS IT IS NOT AT 6 AM ON A WEEKEND(WHICH HAS HAPPENED).

WHILE WE DON'T HAVE TO BE CALLED IF YOU ARE COMING ON AN OPEN ACCESS DATE, WE LIKE TO HAVE AN IDEA WHO IS COMING.

WE REALLY PREFER AN EMAIL- AND WE WILL EMAIL YOU BACK SOME SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS.
EMAIL ADDRESS: charlesmound@gmail.com

ER ARE REALLY TRYING TO BE ACCOMODATING TO EVERYONE, AND ARE SO VERY SORRY THAT SOME POEPLE ARE ANGERED BY US.

JEAN WUEBBELS
I have never seen the point of people being angered by the limits or rules concerning access issues on private property. I consider the club fortunate that you allow us to come at all. Thank you for your efforts and accessibility.