Hiker Survives 140 mph Winds in Killer Scottish Storm

Hiker Survives 140 mph Winds in Killer Scottish Storm

roger
roger

January 30th, 2002, 3:39 pm #1

In Scotland, rescue workers on Tuesday found a lone climber who survived a night of 140 mph winds on Lairig An Laoigh mountain. Peter Deacon, 38, said he heard about the approaching storm on his radio and managed to get to a stone hut before it hit.
"I knew I couldn't move any farther because I couldn't even stand up in the wind, so I just basically stayed up there all Monday night," Deacon told reporters after being tracked down Tuesday morning by dozens of searchers
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2002/01/30/gales.htm

A climber who was reported missing in the Cairngorms turned up safe and well after sheltering for two nights in a mountain top bothy.
Peter Deacon, 38, from Grantham, Lincolnshire, who was well equipped and had enough food to last several days, was rescued by members of Aberdeen mountain rescue team on the summit of Lairig An Laoigh.
Mr Deacon, a safety manager, said last night: “The time before I found the refuge was the worst. I knew if I did not find the refuge I would be in deep trouble.
“I knew the weather was very, very bad but I didn’t know how bad until I heard on the radio. By listening to the weather reports I realised that on Monday evening it was abating.”
He decided to try to walk out yesterday morning and after two hours was met by the rescue team.

And from Outdoors Magic this item:
We're not going to jump to conclusions, but possibly a poor choice of day to go walking in the Scottish mountains.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=1225

Paul Burkholder
Paul Burkholder

January 30th, 2002, 10:01 pm #2

"Peter Deacon, 38, from Grantham, Lincolnshire, who was well equipped and had enough food to last several days, was rescued by members of Aberdeen mountain rescue team on the summit of Lairig An Laoigh."

It would be interesting to hear if Mr. Deacon feels he was "rescued." The accounts I have read indicate that he was well equiped and in no distress when he met a group of searchers looking for him. He spent the night in a shelter when the weather deteriorated and his radio confirmed it was going to get worse (a very logical thing to do in my book). He was not "on the summit" when found, but had been walking for 2 hours (in the right direction) and was halfway to the pub.