Highpointing Blog

Highpointing Blog

April 12th, 2007, 3:44 pm #1

I came across this blog of a man and his dog Spanky who are just beginning their highpointing quest. The gentleman has an entertaining account of each of his highpoints and several pictures from each highpoint.

http://50summits.blogspot.com/index.html

April 12th, 2007, 5:44 pm #2

Is this even possible? I saw a guy bringing a dog up Hood when I was descending (and quietly thought he was nuts), but Granite? Rainier? Denali?!?!

April 13th, 2007, 11:14 am #3

Most of the HPs are accessible for dogs. I've seen pictures of dogs on top of Mt. Hood, Gannett Peak, and Borah. The hard part of this quest would be dealing with the bureaucratic restrictions for dogs in places like Baxter state park, Mt Rainier, and even Charles Mound where the owners request that people do not bring dogs on open access days. Nonetheless, I wish them the best of luck because it would be a first in human/canine hiking feats.

April 13th, 2007, 11:33 am #4

Baxter State Park in Maine prohibits dogs so it would not be legally possible for a pooch to complete all 50 states.

April 19th, 2007, 3:54 am #5

Susan Butcher took her dog sled to the summit of Denali. Looks like Maine and Montana might be the stoppers on this quest....

April 19th, 2007, 5:50 pm #6

carry one of those little chihuahua dogs the movie stars like to cart around in their purses. It's just be an extra 3-4 lbs.

April 19th, 2007, 6:21 pm #7

Is this even possible? I saw a guy bringing a dog up Hood when I was descending (and quietly thought he was nuts), but Granite? Rainier? Denali?!?!
I cringe when I am out hiking and see people dragging their dog behind them, the dog looking yearningly back toward the trailhead. I love taking my dog with me, and she likes going, but there are just certain peaks it wouldn't seem responsible to take her on, as far as her safety is concerned. I know Susan Butcher took her dogs up Denali, but I also thought I heard (and I could be wrong) that someone tried to duplicate her feat and lost some dogs in a crevasse.

April 19th, 2007, 7:40 pm #8

The guy I saw with a dog on Hood was at the base of the Hogsback, getting ready to head up as I was descending. Suddenly there was some rockfall across the big bowl to climber's right as you're descending - where the helicopter fell into back in '02 - and it was all this guy could do to restrain the dog from trying to tear across this huge/steep snowbowl with fumaroles at the bottom. Not my idea of fun, and I was happy we weren't trying to pass each other on the Hogsback yet.

April 19th, 2007, 7:57 pm #9

carry one of those little chihuahua dogs the movie stars like to cart around in their purses. It's just be an extra 3-4 lbs.
is that a dog that size is easily cooked over a relatively small fire, so it can double as one of your 10 essentails...emergency food. I have always been told that it is good to have equipment that serves more than one purpose

April 22nd, 2007, 3:38 pm #10

I cringe when I am out hiking and see people dragging their dog behind them, the dog looking yearningly back toward the trailhead. I love taking my dog with me, and she likes going, but there are just certain peaks it wouldn't seem responsible to take her on, as far as her safety is concerned. I know Susan Butcher took her dogs up Denali, but I also thought I heard (and I could be wrong) that someone tried to duplicate her feat and lost some dogs in a crevasse.
I you read our blog/website, you will see that neither me or dog Spanky have done anything that a reasonable person and dog lover would consider to be irresponsible. Spanky loves to hike, he never turns around longing to go back to the trailhead. I can assure all that I love my dog more than anything on the face of this planet. At the first sign that he is in any danger or he is overtired, too cold, whatever, we will turn back.

The whole point of this exercise is to do something fun and exciting with my dog and to share the experience with my friends and the general puplic - anyone who is interested. We are careful not to disturb other hikers, leave the environment unharmed, and generally speaking just plain old do the right thing.

Thanks to all for your interest in our travels.

Spanky and Rein