Highpoint Info Needed

Highpoint Info Needed

October 29th, 2010, 12:21 am #1

Hello Everyone,

I am headed east in mid-January and hope to visit a few more state high
points. Can anyone advise me if I will have any access issues to Brasstown Bald, Georgia, Clingman's Dome, Tennessee, or Black Mountain, Kentucky? I would appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks.

October 29th, 2010, 2:25 pm #2

You need to go to Highpointers.org. to download a waiver for access to Black Mountain in Kentucky which is private property. Clingmans Dome, although open year round, the last 7 mile stretch of road leading to the trailhead is closed for Winter; typically Dec. thru March. Brasstown Bald in Georgia should not be a problem. My advice is to check road conditions before going for these highpoints, especially in the Winter.

October 29th, 2010, 2:34 pm #3

Hello Everyone,

I am headed east in mid-January and hope to visit a few more state high
points. Can anyone advise me if I will have any access issues to Brasstown Bald, Georgia, Clingman's Dome, Tennessee, or Black Mountain, Kentucky? I would appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks.
Winter Highpointing in the East is fun and can be challenging. Depending on current conditions road closures are always a possibility. Clingman's Dome road is closed during winter months, however I have parked at Newfound Gap and hiked up the road during winter. You could also follow the AT up from the same parking area. You might need snowshoes. About a week before you head East, check individual area websites and search for local conditions. Mount Rogers for example will close access if temperatures and wind chill factors meet certain criteria. Black Mtn. road will probably be plowed but could be icy. Brasstown Bald might provide a nice winter hike from the visitor center if the road is closed. Again it all depends on conditions at the time. Send me an email and I can give you updated info before you leave.

Happy Trails and Safe Climbs