Help the List-Obsessed :)

Help the List-Obsessed :)

August 22nd, 2006, 5:56 pm #1

Hello, my name is Rich Allen, and I am a Listaholic. Maybe that should be "Listic," since I am not addicted to Listahol.

Anyway, it started off innocently enough. You know, the usual "I am going to bag the 50 state highpoints." Then I moved to Colorado, and a friend introduced me to 14'ers. Still, I felt in control, even when I started playing with the High 100 Peaks of Colorado. Then I started my downhill plunge...I began county highpointing. At first I didn't tell anyone, but then my wife caught me (she happened to be with me on one when I pointed it out), and it has really put a strain on our vacation planning.

I need help...recently I climbed some of the Highest 200 in Colorado, I have been seeing county highpoints outside my own state, and was trying to score some of the Southern Sixers at the last Konvention. I am going to Oregon next month, and am afraid I won't be able to control myself around some of those counties.

What I relly need are a few more lists...just a few more, then I know I can stop this. I hear rumors about other lists in other parts of the country, but don't know their specifics or their reliability.

If anyone can end me links or lists (like the southern peaks, New england, etc), I would appreciate it

Tongue firmly in cheek,

Rich

August 22nd, 2006, 6:47 pm #2

There are certainly more lists of peaks out in California, for instance...CA 14ers (not nearly as many as CO but some interesting ones nonetheless) plus lists put together by several different climbing organizations of various peaks in the Sierra Nevada. Check out climber.org for some information on those.

Short but sweet, there are always the Seven Summits. Read about the attempts to become the first climber to do all seven in Seven Summits by Dick Bass.

Plenty of lists...I'm sure others will help you feed your addiction!!

August 22nd, 2006, 8:30 pm #3

Hello, my name is Rich Allen, and I am a Listaholic. Maybe that should be "Listic," since I am not addicted to Listahol.

Anyway, it started off innocently enough. You know, the usual "I am going to bag the 50 state highpoints." Then I moved to Colorado, and a friend introduced me to 14'ers. Still, I felt in control, even when I started playing with the High 100 Peaks of Colorado. Then I started my downhill plunge...I began county highpointing. At first I didn't tell anyone, but then my wife caught me (she happened to be with me on one when I pointed it out), and it has really put a strain on our vacation planning.

I need help...recently I climbed some of the Highest 200 in Colorado, I have been seeing county highpoints outside my own state, and was trying to score some of the Southern Sixers at the last Konvention. I am going to Oregon next month, and am afraid I won't be able to control myself around some of those counties.

What I relly need are a few more lists...just a few more, then I know I can stop this. I hear rumors about other lists in other parts of the country, but don't know their specifics or their reliability.

If anyone can end me links or lists (like the southern peaks, New england, etc), I would appreciate it

Tongue firmly in cheek,

Rich
Peakbagging in New England has all the New England lists plus pointers to the two main NY ones (Adirondacks and Catskills), plus a section of links to a variety of miscellaneous lists (do you know about Prominence yet??). Happy peakbagging!

August 22nd, 2006, 8:56 pm #4

Tongue firmly in cheek,

Rich
There is also a list of the 21 named peaks over 7,000 feet in the Western Chugach Mountains (AK). Nine people have completed this list. I've only done 10 of the 21.

Two people have completed the list of 120 peaks in Chugach State Park (AK) with a prominence of at least 500 feet. I've only done 97 of the 120.

I know that some people have been working the list of the highest 20 peaks in North America and that, depending upon how one defines a peak, this list has been completed.

Lists available upon request.

August 22nd, 2006, 11:13 pm #5

Peakbagging in New England has all the New England lists plus pointers to the two main NY ones (Adirondacks and Catskills), plus a section of links to a variety of miscellaneous lists (do you know about Prominence yet??). Happy peakbagging!
I see prominence discussed a lot, but don't really know what it is. That's part of the trouble...some people claim there are actually 76 peaks above 14K in Colorado, some say 54..and bing the generous guy I am, I don't want to leave any peaks out

August 23rd, 2006, 12:15 am #6

In general, prominence is a non-arbitrary measure of a mountain with respect to the surrounding terrain. Prominence is the measure of Peak A's elevation minus the elevation of the lowest saddle connecting Peak A to a higher peak (Peak B).

This concept is discussed in detail on links associated with the county highpointers website at http://www.cohp.org/prominence/index.htm

August 23rd, 2006, 12:50 am #7

I see prominence discussed a lot, but don't really know what it is. That's part of the trouble...some people claim there are actually 76 peaks above 14K in Colorado, some say 54..and bing the generous guy I am, I don't want to leave any peaks out
For a full discussion of the issue of prominence see the Prominence website by Aaron Maizlish.

August 23rd, 2006, 2:35 pm #8

Tongue firmly in cheek,

Rich
Check the below for a bunch of list:

http://www.peakbagger.com/listindx.aspx

August 23rd, 2006, 5:55 pm #9

Tongue firmly in cheek,

Rich
How about a list of highpoints percieved by by people who consume alot of marijuana?

August 23rd, 2006, 8:26 pm #10

... Burger King's, McDonald's, Krispy Kreme's, Jack-in-the-Box's, Pizza Hut's, Dairy Queen's... for example?