Hawaii high points

Hawaii high points

September 4th, 2006, 2:09 am #1

Considering a trip to HI for the state HP. Thinking about doing some of the other Hawaian islands also.

I have read a few tr's on COHP.org and they have peaked my interest.

Any suggestions on time of year, lodging, travel on the islands, guidebooks, etc? Also any touristy things that "must be" done.

Any help appreciated greatly.

Jim

September 4th, 2006, 11:32 pm #2

Feel free to email me for more details and specifics. I've lived and hiked in Hawaii for 2 years now, and this year i'll be living there half-time.

For now...

Time of year: anytime. September and October can be hot. December-March can be cooler and much rainier, but there are no guarantees. It's the tropics...rain happens. Occasionally Mauna Kea can be closed by a snowstorm for a few days in January or February, but generally any time of year is a good time of year to be in Hawaii. If it rains, you get in the car and drive around the island to the side where it is NOT raining.

Lodging: it may be one place where you'll still do well by a travel agent. Package deals can be cheaper through them. If you're interested in a basic condo on Oahu far away from Waikiki, i might have a reference. If you want someplace very nice, expect it to be pricey.

Rental cars: try Thrifty, or packages through an agent. Don't sweat the waivers saying you can't take rental cars up Mauna Kea. Everyone does it. The road is perfectly fine. Just don't run out of gas or anything, or you'll eat the towing cost.

Inter-island flights: Some new airlines are causing some great cheap competitive rates. Try Island Air, or google "hawaii new airlines."

Guidebooks: Wizard publications has a series of bright blue guidebooks called things like "Big Island Revealed" and "Hidden Oahu," etc. They are the best. I don't always agree with their restaurant reviews, but they are excellent on directions and ideas for fantastic places off the beaten path, including hikes. On Oahu, the hiking book by Stuart Ball is sort of the bible for the topic.

On the Big Island, plan at least a full day and night for Kilauea. (the active volcano.)

On Maui, the climb up to Haleakala via Kaupo Gap is strenuous, logistically difficult (in terms of spotting cars), but fantastic. The road to Hana is touristy but wonderful. Plan TWO days for that, and camp at Waianapanapa. Check the guidebook above for the "Blue Pool."

On Oahu, the hike options are endless and not easy. The experience of wading out to an island at Maleakahana is memorable. The drive or hike up Tantalus is must-do. The snorkeling at Hanauma Bay is worth dealing with the crowds. One needn't be much of a swimmer there to see a gazillion fish.

On Kauai, the Kalalau trail needs at least 3 days to be worth it, but right now ranks as one of my top 3 hiking experiences ever.

Let me know when you'll be there. Aloha.

September 12th, 2006, 9:57 pm #3

Mark,

I have come across references to hikes (and 4wd drives) up to and near Lanaihale, HP of Lanai Island, but nothing concrete and nothing written by hikers. Mostly material from the tourism bureau. Have you heard of people hiking this peak? I know Lanai has logistics issues unique to itself. My wife and I are looking into a Maui trip next year and might fit in Lanai if possible (big maybe).

Scott

September 14th, 2006, 8:48 pm #4

Greg, the forum-keeper for BackyardOahu.com says that there is a dirt road to the top, but he didn't go up it. That's all i know, but you might try posting a question there, in the General section. (nobody ever reads the Lanai section it seems...like 3 posts in 4 years.) I'll be back on the islands in a couple of weeks and i'll let you know if i can find out more. p.s. are you one of the southern AZ-ers? i'm new to Tucson this year sort of.

September 14th, 2006, 9:56 pm #5

I will follow up with the link you provided.

What brings you to Tucson? Not much hiking down there, I'm afraid . I'm just outside of Phoenix, myself... nice and centrally located.

September 15th, 2006, 3:41 pm #6

Teaching this year at U of A. Not much hiking? Sarcasm, right? I did the highpoint of the Tucson Mountains last weekend. Only something like 6 mountain ranges left, visible to the naked eye from here.

September 18th, 2006, 8:19 pm #7

U of A? I teach here at ASU. Remember, we beat you in football almost half the time, so watch out.

Yes, there are many many great ranges to hike down there. And the weather is cooling off nicely everywhere. Hey everyone - now's the time to bag Humphreys; might even see some fall foliage up there.

Got the county bug yet? Check out SAHC if you get a chance. Drop me an email at surgent@asu.edu if you wish, too.

September 25th, 2006, 6:33 pm #8

"Hey everyone - now's the time to bag Humphreys; might even see some fall foliage up there."

because the way winters have been you'll probably not see any snow.