Granite Peak, MT Southwest Couloir?

Granite Peak, MT Southwest Couloir?

January 28th, 2009, 9:52 pm #1

Trying to get psyched up for these last 12 states, and not ready to commit to Denali yet, i've started looking seriously into climbing Granite this summer. (It's my only other "big" one left to do.)

It seems there is an alternate Class 3 route, the Southwest Couloir, and it was suggested to me by someone on Summitpost when i said that i don't have the technical rock experience for the standard route but didn't really want to do the trip with a hired guide. The summitpost page makes it sound like a really fun alternate, but i already know that "Class 3" can mean anything from a stroll with one pull-up -- to an 80-degree one-crack handhold with 2000' of vertical exposure.

So, has anyone done this route? I'd appreciate any info or experiences with it. It sounds like the route i'm going to try, but i'm still not sure.

thanks!

January 28th, 2009, 10:13 pm #2

This Trip Report (with good photos)?

http://www.splattski.com/2007/granite/index.html

Seems like the way to go to me.

January 29th, 2009, 6:20 pm #3

Good report, thanks. We'll see, but it looks like my next project.

March 6th, 2009, 3:40 pm #4

Trying to get psyched up for these last 12 states, and not ready to commit to Denali yet, i've started looking seriously into climbing Granite this summer. (It's my only other "big" one left to do.)

It seems there is an alternate Class 3 route, the Southwest Couloir, and it was suggested to me by someone on Summitpost when i said that i don't have the technical rock experience for the standard route but didn't really want to do the trip with a hired guide. The summitpost page makes it sound like a really fun alternate, but i already know that "Class 3" can mean anything from a stroll with one pull-up -- to an 80-degree one-crack handhold with 2000' of vertical exposure.

So, has anyone done this route? I'd appreciate any info or experiences with it. It sounds like the route i'm going to try, but i'm still not sure.

thanks!
Mark,

We did this last Labor Day. I will happily provide you more info - and there is some info on Summitpost.org both on the Granite Peak Page and then under routes - under southwest coulouir. I also put a note on the summit log on that page. Let me know if you have any questions etc., and I will be glad to help.

Vance

March 8th, 2009, 5:55 pm #5

Good report, thanks. We'll see, but it looks like my next project.
... myself and one other person might be doing that route later this year (i.e. probably late summer).

March 9th, 2009, 3:58 am #6

thanks!
I am planning an Granite attempt for the last two weeks in July over the plateau coming up from the lake. We can generally reach base camp in 1.5 days.

Two years ago I and my daughter made it to the Snow bridge area (no snow) at 9:00 am but turned back because of weather.

The rock climbing is is not difficult 5.4 to 5.5 at best if you take the correct route. The exposure is something to appreciate.

Contact me if you are interested

March 18th, 2009, 1:16 pm #7

Mark,

We did this last Labor Day. I will happily provide you more info - and there is some info on Summitpost.org both on the Granite Peak Page and then under routes - under southwest coulouir. I also put a note on the summit log on that page. Let me know if you have any questions etc., and I will be glad to help.

Vance
We are planning to do this route during the first week of Sept 09. I have done two other variations so I figured I would try this one. I poked around trying to find your references but couldn't. Could I possibly e-mail to get information as to starting point and any tips.

Thanks
Chuck

April 20th, 2009, 5:03 pm #8

Mark,

Vance
Mark,

you are welcome to email me with any questions - etc., and I will forward any info...I am away on a trip for the next few weeks - but will gather photos and the like to forward your way at first chance.

email is spathv@yahoo.com
or spathv@gimail.af.mil

Talk soon, v