Geographical Centers

Geographical Centers

December 10th, 2006, 4:33 pm #1

As the state highpoints I have yet to climb get further from home in Michigan, I'm trying to come up with a new "challenge" that I can do on weekends and evenings. My thought was to go to the geographical center of each county in Michigan. Does anyone know if this has ever been accomplished or attempted? Also, any resources on the Internet that might identify the geographical centers?

December 10th, 2006, 9:53 pm #2

...since the state is shaped like a hand, you could also try to reach all the geographically-correct acupressure points.

December 11th, 2006, 1:55 pm #3

As the state highpoints I have yet to climb get further from home in Michigan, I'm trying to come up with a new "challenge" that I can do on weekends and evenings. My thought was to go to the geographical center of each county in Michigan. Does anyone know if this has ever been accomplished or attempted? Also, any resources on the Internet that might identify the geographical centers?
USGS at one point put out a small (15 page) pamphlet called "Elevations and Distances in the United States". Among other lists is a listing of the Geographic Centers of the various states.

No date or other information on the pamphlet. I seem to recall I got it in the 1985 timeframe.

PS - MI is indicated as "5 miles north-northwest of Cadillac".

-hojo

December 11th, 2006, 10:07 pm #4

Some counties would require very little effort, given they're shaped like squares or rectangles. Others would be, um, interesting...do you have a boat handy to get the geographic "center" of Keweenaw County? Roughly half's on Isle Royale in the middle of Lake Superior, and I'm sure you'll end up with a few counties requiring lake travel (Leelanau and Roscommon, perhaps?)

I'd say you'd pretty safely be the first one to accomplish this, in any case.

December 12th, 2006, 10:04 pm #5

As I found out when I began to research this more, all the counties bordering the Great Lakes technically extend out into the lake as far as the border of Michigan and Ontario, Wisconsin, etc. So that makes a boat a real necessity. I may need to revise my parameters to be the "land-based geographical center" of each county.