Favorite HP Restaurant?

Favorite HP Restaurant?

roger
roger

January 15th, 2002, 6:28 am #1

I've seen a couple queries here for restuarants at highpoints (e.g., near Clingmans). Gatlinburg's cup runnith over. I will always remember the all you can eat buffet in the shadow of Dollywood.

I have to admit I haven't been good about chronicalling this. The only place that immediately came to mind was the Columbine Diner in Leadville (which seems to share a huge number of memorable restaurants). I can never look at Green Sauce without thinking of Colorado (I hope I have the time during the OK-2002 convention to make a repeat visit).

Other memorable restaurants at places I no longer remember the name including a family restaurant at Salisbury, PA (with its flags flying before they were popular) and Virginia Ham at some dinner at Marion (I would add Krispy Kremes which became highlights of VA/LA trips but they gave become big time nationally).

There's also the famed enomrous cinnamon rolls at L'Anse, Michigan.

I missed the legendary Whitney Portal pancakes (but am grateful for the unlimited cup of soda at the end of the trail). I swear any outdoor restuarant in Lone Pine is a spectacular finale.

While I would be interested in any state, I am particularly intested in my planned new state this year (OR); as well as the Sept. convention sites in OK/NM/KS and possibly CO.

John
John

January 15th, 2002, 2:34 pm #2

No restaurant can beat my traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwhich that I pack in my bag !! (oh don't forget the snickers !)

January 15th, 2002, 3:55 pm #3

I've seen a couple queries here for restuarants at highpoints (e.g., near Clingmans). Gatlinburg's cup runnith over. I will always remember the all you can eat buffet in the shadow of Dollywood.

I have to admit I haven't been good about chronicalling this. The only place that immediately came to mind was the Columbine Diner in Leadville (which seems to share a huge number of memorable restaurants). I can never look at Green Sauce without thinking of Colorado (I hope I have the time during the OK-2002 convention to make a repeat visit).

Other memorable restaurants at places I no longer remember the name including a family restaurant at Salisbury, PA (with its flags flying before they were popular) and Virginia Ham at some dinner at Marion (I would add Krispy Kremes which became highlights of VA/LA trips but they gave become big time nationally).

I missed the legendary Whitney Portal pancakes (but am grateful for the unlimited cup of soda at the end of the trail). I swear any outdoor restuarant in Lone Pine is a spectacular finale.

While I would be interested in any state, I am particularly intested in my planned new state this year (OR); as well as the Sept. convention sites in OK/NM/KS and possibly CO.
The restaurant in Mt. Mitchell state park, on the slopes of the NC highpoint, was very good.

My favorite is a bit of a drive from the highpoint, but I'll vote for Blondie's in Mammoth Lakes. It's about the closest decent-sized town to Boundary Peak (NV), and their waffles can't be beat!

Nathan would vote for the closest Waffle House (or Waffle & Steak) to any of the southern highpoints. Indeed, a Waffle House was about the only place open on Christmas day a few years ago after we did Magazine Mountain (AR) and drove down into Texas.

Alan Ritter
http://www.mtritter.org

Ken
Ken

January 15th, 2002, 5:26 pm #4

River Drivers Restaurant at NEOC's Rice Farm Site. Excellent food, good atmosphere. Just a hair on the fancy side, but I think most of the people there when I was had been rafting that day, so not too fancy.

riverdrivers@neoc.com
http://www.neoc.com/

Tonya
Tonya

January 15th, 2002, 6:05 pm #5

There is a lodge looking restaurant on the slope of Mount Mitchell that I highly recommend to anyone after your summit. It was quite a surprise for me to see a restaurant at all, and I was even more surprised to see a full albeit southern menu. I asked for the special, which was trout served with head and tail. The side dishes were huge and the service, though a bit rough, was more than adequate. But to top it all off - a full meal - dessert - iced tea - all for under 8 bucks.

Unbelieveable!

For all you collectors out there, near the register there are also countless collectibles of Mount Mitchell memorabilia. e.g. Shirts, magnets, coasters, keychains.

Jon McCorkell
Jon McCorkell

January 15th, 2002, 8:03 pm #6

Roger,
If you plan to do Wheeler from the Red River side, we spent last weekend cross country skiing there. I would recommend Highlander for a nice breakfast. If you are not a teetotaler, the package store in Red River sells a NM brew, "Cabezon Stout," which is much better than faux beers like Colorado Coorsade.
If you are doing Wheeler from the Taos side, I would recommend "Michael's Kitchen" as one of several good restaurants in Taos. Don't know if they stock Cabezon Stout.

Ken Akerman
Ken Akerman

January 15th, 2002, 8:57 pm #7

After ascending Humphreys Peak, consider stopping at Beaver Street Brewery in Flagstaff. I've been there several times after skiing, hiking, or mountain biking in the San Francisco Peaks. A good variety of food (i.e. pizza, burgers, etc.) and beer at reasonable prices.

Ken

Jared
Jared

January 15th, 2002, 11:32 pm #8

Allow me to second that for Beaver street Brewery!! Great food and even better beer, try the oatmeal stout! Also consider Alpine Pizzia, a local climbing hangout and Flag Brewery for more beer.
Jared

Jared
Jared

January 15th, 2002, 11:32 pm #9

After ascending Humphreys Peak, consider stopping at Beaver Street Brewery in Flagstaff. I've been there several times after skiing, hiking, or mountain biking in the San Francisco Peaks. A good variety of food (i.e. pizza, burgers, etc.) and beer at reasonable prices.

Ken
Allow me to second that for Beaver street Brewery!! Great food and even better beer, try the oatmeal stout! Also consider Alpine Pizzia, a local climbing hangout and Flag Brewery for more beer.
Jared

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2002, 1:16 am #10

The huge cinny rolls are served at the Hilltop Restaurant on the south of town.

Good trout is served at the restaurant on the summit of Alabama's highpoint.

Try the funky AT restaurant in downtown Millinocket - you'll likely see some through-hikers and the owners love to talk about Kathadin.