Driskill Mountain, Louisiana (535 Feet)

Driskill Mountain, Louisiana (535 Feet)

May 14th, 2002, 9:30 pm #1

Post your Driskill Mountain stories here.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 14th, 2002, 3:21 am #2

Last edited by dipper on March 16th, 2004, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2003, 10:46 pm #3

I summited Driskill Mountain in Louisiana on Monday afternoon, 30 December 2002.

On my way home to Missouri I drove up from Pensacola, Fla., in an intermittent rain. State Road 507 and the red brick Presbyterian Church were easy to find, and the unimproved road back toward the high point from the parking lot was also plainly visible. When I arrived there in mid-afternoon one other vehicle, an SUV from Georgia, was already in the parking lot. Fortunately the rain ceased briefly during my visit.

There is a "historic marker" in the front lawn of the church identifying the site as Driskill Mountain, but providing no directions to the actual high point.

There are "No Trespassing" signs on the gate across the red-clay road, but previous accounts have made it clear that the owner has no problem with high-pointers. The signs appear to be aimed more at hunters. Probably it is easier than it used to be now to identify the route to the true high point, as fences and barbed wire that appear to be fairly new, and hand-painted "NO NO" signs on false routes make the proper route pretty intuitive.

On my way up I met the Schuylers from Atlanta, Ga., who were returning from a successful assault on the summit. Their little girl was celebrating her third birthday and 13th high point. It was also my 13th high point, but I'm a little (well, a lot) older than she is.

The high point is marked by a sign, a rock cairn, and a metal box containing a registration notebook. There's not much of a view, even during leaf-off, but a few yards shy of the summit there was a surprisingly good view through a gap in the forestation.

It started to get very dark and windy again, so I made a hasty retreat (about a ten-minute walk) to the parking lot. The only hazard encountered was the muddy, slippery road, softened up by the day's rainfall.

mark
mark

January 7th, 2003, 4:33 am #4

...on 12/19 i drove south on U.S. 167, west on I-20, and south on state route 507...just following highway signs and a good map of Louisiana. As this website reads, the Mt. Zion church and Driskill Cemetery were on the northish side of the street, route 507. The only possible trail/dirt road leads up from the outhouses by the church. The trail had a few signs at various points where one could veer off course onto other 4wd roads. These signs said things like "NO NO NO" and "Driskill Mtn. thatta way." So after a nice sunshiney little walk, i found the summit, trail register, sign, and USGS marker. HP #6! I was feeling so guilty about the ease of this, that on the way back, i turned left and went up the wrong mountain ("NO NO NO") just so i could have the same experience that our highpointing trailblazers had. (This hill was as notably lovely as the Driskill summit.) Actually the LA highpoint got me thinking about the lack of orienteering challenge in state highpointing now, and about the arbitrary (but not necessarily negative) concept of what i was doing. How could i make this more unique? (besides not buying the guide books...hehe) I'm not too into the idea of doing something odd at each highpoint (the first person on each highpoint to sing Louie Louie while doing pushups). Has anyone ever tried reaching the exact geographic and/or elevation MID-point of each state? This could be a real neat orienteering challenge...and would require diving experience for Hawaii! How about being the first person to circumnavigate each state?...

March 16th, 2004, 5:23 am #5

Last edited by dipper on March 16th, 2004, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2004, 5:05 pm #6

http://www.dennypayne.com/highpoints/la.html

August 24th, 2004, 4:44 am #7

17th Highpoint! Check out my trip report and pictures at:
http://shelleypotts.com/AboutMe/HighPoints/LA.html

--
Shelley Potts
spotty4@hotmail.com
http://shelleypotts.com

January 20th, 2005, 9:02 pm #8

My GF & I visited Driskill Mountain on Dec 27th of 2005. The directions were easy to find using the Winger directions and the AAA map for Louisiana.

It was a pleasant day, not too cold and not too soggy. It was a nice little walk, not quite a hike. The HP seemed fairly free of trash. We signed the log book and took some photos and headed back to the car. The outhouses next to the church looked too scary to use. Off in the distance we heard dogs barking. I had been told that they hunt deer using dogs to flush them out in La.

Later in the trip we visited the FL HP, which was much more of a challange.....to find while driving.

May 2nd, 2005, 11:31 pm #9

January 2nd, 2006, 5:26 am #10

Ii climbed Driskill Mountain on Dec. 30, 2005. Here's the link for the trip report: Driskill Mountain Trip Report.