Doing Things in All 50 States

Doing Things in All 50 States

October 20th, 2008, 3:37 pm #1

Denver Post, 10-19-08, p. 11E & 14E

50 States, 10 Pins at a Time

Article about a guy who went bowling in all 50 states.

Recently, on a clibming trip to Glacier National Park in Montana, I visited a winery in that state and completed my quest to visit a winery in all 50 states. My "rules" were that I had to visit a facility, participate in a tasting, and then buy a bottle (or five). I have a row of 50 bottles on a shelf in my home. I've search high and low for anyone who has done that before.

Is there a place that compiles "Doing Things in 50 States?"

Has anyone done something similar in all 50 states?

- John Mitchler

October 23rd, 2008, 3:54 pm #2

Congrats on the wine collection! I'm surprised their ARE wineries in all 50 states. I'd think Oklahoma or Mississippi or somewhere wouldn't have one.

I've played the cello in 41 states so far, now that i look back and count. I guess i've blown some opportunities, since there are a couple i did the HP's for and didn't play. I even had the cello with me in the car when i went to North Dakota's HP, and didn't play on it. Rats.

October 23rd, 2008, 10:23 pm #3

Recently, on a clibming trip to Glacier National Park in Montana, I visited a winery in that state and completed my quest to visit a winery in all 50 states. My "rules" were that I had to visit a facility, participate in a tasting, and then buy a bottle (or five). I have a row of 50 bottles on a shelf in my home. I've search high and low for anyone who has done that before.

- John Mitchler
Hey John, I'm running the NYC marathon on November 2nd, my 3rd state marathon. Also have PA and MA. I guess I have a long way to go, but there is actually a group/club out there of people who've run 50 marathons in 50 states. They have 1500+ members. While I'm unlikely to join this group, I'm much closer on state capitol buildings. My rules: picture on the steps, and gotta visit the house and senate chambers (with the exception of Nebraska, which as we all know is unicameral). I've combined this pursuit with highpointing and so far have 46 state capitols. My brother has one additional rule: he inspects the restrooms. He wants to publish a guidebook to state capitol restrooms - a best seller for sure.

October 25th, 2008, 6:10 pm #4

Congrats on the wine collection! I'm surprised their ARE wineries in all 50 states. I'd think Oklahoma or Mississippi or somewhere wouldn't have one.

I've played the cello in 41 states so far, now that i look back and count. I guess i've blown some opportunities, since there are a couple i did the HP's for and didn't play. I even had the cello with me in the car when i went to North Dakota's HP, and didn't play on it. Rats.
Yep - OK has a couple wineries, including the Canadien River winery near Norman where our Club Merc is located (ie, Jean).

A few years ago, during an Open Access Date at RI (remember those!?), a group of Brown University students brought their instruments to the highpoint rock and created the impromtu "Jerimoth Hill String Quartet." We ran a photo in the newsletter. There's got to be other musical highpoint (or state) endeavors.

October 25th, 2008, 6:27 pm #5

Hey John, I'm running the NYC marathon on November 2nd, my 3rd state marathon. Also have PA and MA. I guess I have a long way to go, but there is actually a group/club out there of people who've run 50 marathons in 50 states. They have 1500+ members. While I'm unlikely to join this group, I'm much closer on state capitol buildings. My rules: picture on the steps, and gotta visit the house and senate chambers (with the exception of Nebraska, which as we all know is unicameral). I've combined this pursuit with highpointing and so far have 46 state capitols. My brother has one additional rule: he inspects the restrooms. He wants to publish a guidebook to state capitol restrooms - a best seller for sure.
I'd like to run a marathon someday (soon). I think one of the leaders of the 50 Marathon group is a highpointer, sort of like the EMC group which tries to visit every county in the USA - two of their members are trying to visit every courthouse in the USA, including some metal detecting at every courthouse or nearby park! The marathon group is also doing a marathon in every country and continent - you can Google the antarctica marathon.

Re bathrooms, I've seen a pamphlet for the University of Illinois that gives the reader a "walking tour of the geology of U of I restrooms" including an explanation the type of granites and marbles used in bathroom floors and stalls, and even identifies the features and fossils found therein. Nice Senior thesis project, eh?

HOJO from Texas finished the 50-capital tour which included a photo of their dogs on the lawn in front of each capitol. In the newsletter we've covered folks who are visiting the Presidential Libraries, and even the Presidential gavesites (complete with elevation research).

Jack wrote in the newsletter about a guy who tried to eat a Blizzard in a DQ in every state (until he found out they aren't in all 50 states), and about the guy who tried to eat in every MacDonalds (who wrote us to say he quit trying).

In the "Hero Category" is the guy who is visiting every Starbucks. Before you say "harumpf" you should know that he's been to something like 80% of them in the USA and 20% of them internationally (has visited 5,778 stores in North America and 355 international). The catch: drink a cup at every store.
www.starbuckseverywhere.net
www.radaronline.com/features/2006/09/st ... _jones.php

November 15th, 2008, 3:13 pm #6

- John Mitchler
I did a trip to all 50 States in 50 Days from May 16 to July 4 of 2007 and shot a documentary film about the adventure. We are still editing it together (about 90% done). We do have a teaser trailer at the website http://www.50states50days.us

December 4th, 2008, 2:33 am #7

Great accomplishment doing this, can't imagine it, what a goal. I was thinking of one when visiting the US but stay with tri's.

December 4th, 2008, 2:33 am #8

I'd like to run a marathon someday (soon). I think one of the leaders of the 50 Marathon group is a highpointer, sort of like the EMC group which tries to visit every county in the USA - two of their members are trying to visit every courthouse in the USA, including some metal detecting at every courthouse or nearby park! The marathon group is also doing a marathon in every country and continent - you can Google the antarctica marathon.

Re bathrooms, I've seen a pamphlet for the University of Illinois that gives the reader a "walking tour of the geology of U of I restrooms" including an explanation the type of granites and marbles used in bathroom floors and stalls, and even identifies the features and fossils found therein. Nice Senior thesis project, eh?

HOJO from Texas finished the 50-capital tour which included a photo of their dogs on the lawn in front of each capitol. In the newsletter we've covered folks who are visiting the Presidential Libraries, and even the Presidential gavesites (complete with elevation research).

Jack wrote in the newsletter about a guy who tried to eat a Blizzard in a DQ in every state (until he found out they aren't in all 50 states), and about the guy who tried to eat in every MacDonalds (who wrote us to say he quit trying).

In the "Hero Category" is the guy who is visiting every Starbucks. Before you say "harumpf" you should know that he's been to something like 80% of them in the USA and 20% of them internationally (has visited 5,778 stores in North America and 355 international). The catch: drink a cup at every store.

lol that's great.

Dan Howitt

January 25th, 2009, 1:21 am #9

- John Mitchler
Financial Times, 1-24-09, Life&Arts page 8

Arnie Wilson describes his effort to ski in all 40 states that have lift-assisted downhill skiing.

He recently visited the western Midwest, and only has 4 states left (AZ, RI, NJ, OH).

I suppose you could go water-skiing in the remaining 10 states...

- John M.

January 28th, 2009, 6:03 pm #10

I guess I'm surprised that there is downhill skiing in RI. Even though I have visited the HP there, I did not think RI had any downhill parts at all...