Denali Wannabes

Denali Wannabes

December 3rd, 2007, 1:22 am #1

I'm looking for 1, 2 or 3 climbers interested in a trip to Denali Spring 2008.
I've been climbing since the 60's with ascents in South America, Asia, Africa as well as all over North America including Alaska.
I'm looking to do a moderate route like the West Rib but would also consider the Muldrow Glacier if someone is interested in walking in from the north. (Cheaper)
I'd like to climb sometime around mid-May.
If interested please contact me with a way to phone you and we can discuss details further.
I'm very laid back with a sense of humor, don't care about your age, sex, religion, sexual preferences, political views or any other drama in your life. Just no whiners, no quitters and no one who wants to tell me how I can make the world a better place.
I just want to go have maximum fun and share it with you!

December 5th, 2007, 5:12 am #2

Hi Tom,

I would be interested in a west rib attempt. I made a west rib attempt in 2005 and conditions were not good, ice was melting out (lots of running water)down low and deep snow at higher altitiudes. We went with the acclimate at the 14,300 camp plan and even made a fuel food drop at the west rib cutoff at 16,500. All the WR guided groups were bailing out at the cutoff. We ended up climbing the regular buttress route and we summited on June 1st. Would like to climb with any potential partner at last a couple times before commiting to this trip.

Call me when you have a chance.

714-235-7780

December 5th, 2007, 8:56 pm #3

Hi, I'm definitely interested. Where do you live. I'm a photographer and travel a lot so we could get together for some climbing

December 10th, 2007, 6:12 am #4

I live in southern california,I have randonee skis and snowshoes but definately prefer skis as an approach mode. In order to prepare for Denali we did several Sierra Winter ascents of Whitney etc. which usually included a ski approach and then a climb. Also several ice climbing trips are benificial since the majority of the climb is ice. We find that Lee Vining on the east side of the sierra to be a great resource for practice.

December 15th, 2007, 11:22 pm #5

I'm looking for 1, 2 or 3 climbers interested in a trip to Denali Spring 2008.
I've been climbing since the 60's with ascents in South America, Asia, Africa as well as all over North America including Alaska.
I'm looking to do a moderate route like the West Rib but would also consider the Muldrow Glacier if someone is interested in walking in from the north. (Cheaper)
I'd like to climb sometime around mid-May.
If interested please contact me with a way to phone you and we can discuss details further.
I'm very laid back with a sense of humor, don't care about your age, sex, religion, sexual preferences, political views or any other drama in your life. Just no whiners, no quitters and no one who wants to tell me how I can make the world a better place.
I just want to go have maximum fun and share it with you!
Hi there,

I saw your post that you're looking for partners for Denali in 2008. Did you manage to find your team? I would be interested in attending if you still need more members. I've climbed Aconcagua, Rainer twice, winter ascents of Whitney, Shasta and Damavand (18,000+).

You can email me if interested at bezz17@yahoo.com

I live in Southern California.

Blue Skies!

Bezz

December 17th, 2007, 7:43 pm #6

Hi Bezz, I'm still looking for people. One person contacted me who lives in So. Cal also. I'm currently living in N.H. and will probably be here through the spring.
I guess my questions are:
1) are you totally motivated to see this through- a lot of people WANT to do this but then back out at an inopportune time for everyone else
2) do you have the equipment, money and expertise to do the climb
3) can we meet up as a team having never climbed together and pull this off?

I hate to be so forward but this is kind of like a long distance love affair.
I'm a photographer and due to my schedule I don't think there is any way I can get out to Ca. for us to climb together beforehand.

I have a few trips planned over the winter in Europe as I'll be working there and plan to climb Elbrus and in the Caucasus just before I fly to Alaska.

If you/we decide we want to go forward with this we need to talk together and start getting permits etc. lined up. Let me know what you think. Tom

December 17th, 2007, 11:24 pm #7

I live in southern california,I have randonee skis and snowshoes but definately prefer skis as an approach mode. In order to prepare for Denali we did several Sierra Winter ascents of Whitney etc. which usually included a ski approach and then a climb. Also several ice climbing trips are benificial since the majority of the climb is ice. We find that Lee Vining on the east side of the sierra to be a great resource for practice.
Sorry I've been remiss in answering you. This is a very busy time of the year fro me.
I'm definitely interested in going to Alaska with you. My only problem is that it's going to be extremely difficult for me to get out to Ca. for a meeting/climbing before the trip.
I'm not averse to going with someone I don't know as long as we can get everything in the open and have some discussions on all the things that may come up on a climb like this.
I have so much travel booked in the spring that i just can't get away.
I'm planning on climbing in Europe and the Caucasus the month before I go to Alaska so that will be my training/warmup.
Let me know how you'd like to proceed from here.
I'd like to be in Alaska no later than May10th if that's possible.