decent motels near Mt. Marcy?

decent motels near Mt. Marcy?

April 10th, 2006, 3:02 pm #1

Hello. I will be visiting the Keene Valley area from 4/23-4/26. I was wondering if you knew of any decent motels within about 20-30 minutes of Mt. Marcy...? I am aware that there are several B&B's in the area, but because I will be traveling/hiking alone, I'm looking for fairly basic accommodations with very few amenities. (Something along the lines of a Motel 6.)

Thanks so much!!!

April 10th, 2006, 6:30 pm #2

There are a ton of possibilities in Lake Placid, which is only 10-12 minutes from the Van Hovenburg approach. Many are pricey, however. For what you're looking for, I'd suggest the Jackrabbit Inn right on Route 73. Here's a complete list of hotels in the area, including the number for the Jackrabbit:

http://www.adirondacks.com/essexlodges.html

April 10th, 2006, 6:50 pm #3

April 10th, 2006, 8:36 pm #4

Hello. I will be visiting the Keene Valley area from 4/23-4/26. I was wondering if you knew of any decent motels within about 20-30 minutes of Mt. Marcy...? I am aware that there are several B&B's in the area, but because I will be traveling/hiking alone, I'm looking for fairly basic accommodations with very few amenities. (Something along the lines of a Motel 6.)

Thanks so much!!!
The Adirondak Loj is right at the usual Marcy trailhead. It's a little pricey for a place with shared bathrooms, but you get a pretty good breakfast included and you don't have to pay the trailhead parking fee if you stay there. It's also got a great skier/hiker/mountain lodge motif that feels right for where you are. The living room is set up to play games, read, hang out or swap stories with others staying there.

All in all, I think it's hard to beat if you're looking for a place to stay when hiking Marcy.

April 12th, 2006, 4:54 am #5

There are a ton of possibilities in Lake Placid, which is only 10-12 minutes from the Van Hovenburg approach. Many are pricey, however. For what you're looking for, I'd suggest the Jackrabbit Inn right on Route 73. Here's a complete list of hotels in the area, including the number for the Jackrabbit:

The little motel I stayed at in Lake Placid was on a bay and had canoes available for use, which was kind of fun. Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but you may want to ask about this if you get a motel on the lake. Seemed like every other person in town was an Olympic athelete.

April 12th, 2006, 5:01 am #6

I stayed at the Jackrabbit, it is very conveniently located for Marcy. Just a little bit further outside town (to the east) than the turnoff to the VH trailhead, IIRC. I think I paid around $70 for a room. The Loj was all full, perhaps for a wedding??, when I went by, IIRC it seemed expensive. Lake Placid didn't seem all that low budget.

June 4th, 2007, 9:55 pm #7

Thanks so much!!!
Since I mentioned it here and it was subsequently printed in Apex to Zenith, I feel obligated to revive this thread. Last night, the Jackrabbit Inn burned down.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/homepage ... d=topstory

June 5th, 2007, 1:11 pm #8