Climbing Partners for Denali, 06

Climbing Partners for Denali, 06

August 21st, 2005, 9:15 am #1

I am looking for 1 or 2 experienced climbing partners for Denali, West Buttress, for mid July to mid Aug 06 time frame. I‘ve been climbing for over 25 years and have done Whitney, Rainier, 7 Colorado Fourteeners including Elbert, Mt. Borah, Kings, Wheeler traversed few Glaciers and done Rock and Ice climbing. Also planning Nepal trip for 06 after McKinley. If you are interested let's talk...

-Zak

September 3rd, 2005, 1:54 pm #2

Zak, I am going to Denali in the spring of '06. Haven't got a group yet, I am a fast climber and would be interested in getting up and down quickly as possible. While I realize weather can pin me down, I want to minimize my stay on the mountain. I have not set my system but am considering hauling stuff to a high camp (don't know if the 14,200 will be close enough, but perhaps) and then going alpine from there. I too will be going to the Himalaya after. If you like to move faster (not superfast, but just pretty quick) get a hold of me. -Chris

September 12th, 2005, 5:07 am #3

Hi Chris,
I just got in town. Thank you for responding. What dates are you planning on for spring of 06? According to my information, the best chances for success starts from May through July. I have not yet set my dates but, I am thinking of mid-June to July of 06. I will know for sure by Jan 06.

Here is what my system is set on- On my last climb to Rainier (Aug 05) on day one I averaged 6K feet elevation gain (80%) over Glacier with 50 LB pack in 6 hours. I am very comfortable with this speed. My goals are for the team to summit Denali and descent back to base safely.

Denali climbing system is set as follows: We fly in by air taxi on the Kahiltna Glacier (7,200’) from there we begin the climb via the West Buttress route (base camp can be setup there) I plan on 17-18 days round trip from base camp, but four days are planned for inclement weather. My plans are to establish 3-4 camps 11,K 14,K and 17,K and possibly 19K plan to make double carry between camps except high camp, to insure proper acclimatization and reduce loads to a manageable weight.
If you are still interested we can talk some more. Thanks.

-Zak

January 5th, 2006, 8:42 pm #4

Zak, I am going to Denali in the spring of '06. Haven't got a group yet, I am a fast climber and would be interested in getting up and down quickly as possible. While I realize weather can pin me down, I want to minimize my stay on the mountain. I have not set my system but am considering hauling stuff to a high camp (don't know if the 14,200 will be close enough, but perhaps) and then going alpine from there. I too will be going to the Himalaya after. If you like to move faster (not superfast, but just pretty quick) get a hold of me. -Chris
Zak,

Was wondering if you have found some climbing partners for Denali yet? I am still looking. If you are interested, email me at mtmanchris@yahoo.com

Chris