Climbing Mauna Kea

Climbing Mauna Kea

October 15th, 2010, 11:38 pm #1

I am heading to Hawaii in December to highpoint Mauna Kea, but I want to do it from sea level to summit in one day ... has anyone ever attempted to do the whole 13,700 feet from sea level? If so, I'd like to know the starting point and route you took and what you had for a support crew. Please feel free to email me directly at gharrington3165@hotmail.com as I don't always get back to this site often. Thank you.

Garry Harrington
Colorado Springs

PS: Anyone interested in my trip reports from a recent trip to get the high points of Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia should go to my blog athttp://garrysadventures.blogspot.com.

October 18th, 2010, 7:33 am #2

Google "Mauna Kea Sea to Summit". It's been done, though more often as a bike trip. It would a very long hike to do in a day...something like 40 miles. I did from the saddle road to the summit, which was less than half that distance, and an obvious hike up the road to the ranger station and then on the Mauna Kea Trail. It was pretty, but i can't imagine the slog from sea level would be terribly fun. The ancient trail is not viable...you'd spend the first 25 miles or so on road with no shade.

October 18th, 2010, 3:03 pm #3

When we went to Hawaii years ago, we were thinking on doing the sea to summit route. I started looking into ways to cross the Mauna Kea ranch and some other logistical things. Then my wife said to me -- we're going to be in Hawaii for 10 days, don't you want to spend most of that time in the water? We ended up just doing the roundtrip on the Mauna Kea Trail, which was a great day hike. That hike gives the mountain due respect, but doesn't use up all of your hawaiian vacation.

October 21st, 2010, 3:13 am #4

I am heading to Hawaii in December to highpoint Mauna Kea, but I want to do it from sea level to summit in one day ... has anyone ever attempted to do the whole 13,700 feet from sea level? If so, I'd like to know the starting point and route you took and what you had for a support crew. Please feel free to email me directly at gharrington3165@hotmail.com as I don't always get back to this site often. Thank you.

Garry Harrington
Colorado Springs

PS: Anyone interested in my trip reports from a recent trip to get the high points of Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia should go to my blog athttp://garrysadventures.blogspot.com.
During the Hawaii convention of the HP Club, Jack Longacre led a group from sea to summit. Some of them started the hike by wading out the water onto the beach. They stayed overnight on the ascent.

October 26th, 2010, 5:38 pm #5

Garry Harrington
Colorado Springs

John, can you tell me how to reach this Jack Longacre? He might have some good ideas for me ... I am flying into Hawaii two days ahead of my party so I can do a Sea to Summit ascent, then will meet them on Kauai ... thanks.

October 27th, 2010, 2:36 pm #6

Jack Longacre founded the Highpointers Club and passed away in 2003. His ashes were taken to the 50 state highpoints by Club members.

An account of the C2S trek was in the Club newsletter and I'll see if I can copy it for you.