Climbing Canada's Highpoints

Climbing Canada's Highpoints

January 11th, 2009, 1:51 pm #1

I just finished reading Jack Bennett's book "Not Won In A Day:Climbing Canada's Highpoints" and enjoyed it. Has anybody completed all of Canada's 13 Provincial Highpoints besides Jack? I seem to recall that a team was going to attempt them all in one year. It took Jack 5 years and 361 days.

January 22nd, 2009, 12:01 pm #2

I contacted Greg Slayden who sent me this response:

I am pretty sure that Jack Bennett is still the only completer of the 13 Canada province/territory high points. However, his son Tom Bennett has done 12, only missing the Nunavut HP, Barbeau Peak on Ellesmere Island. To complete the list, Tom is planning a trip up there for this coming June, and if successful, he would become the second person. He is looking for those with the time and the money to join him. I accompanied Jack to Barbeau in 1998 and it was a fantastic trip--a real Arctic wilderness adventure. I recommend it heartily if you are considering it.

There is a group of Canadians planning to do the all 13 highpoints, and they have done Logan, but I don't think they are near completion:

http://www.summitsofcanada.ca/canatrek/ ... three.html

Even though there are only 12 peaks on the Canadian province/territory high point list (QC-NL are a virtual two-fer),
half of those require serious expeditions and/or mountaineering skill. Mount Logan is not even the hardest.

January 22nd, 2009, 4:16 pm #3

Sounds like someone is starting to plot and plan for his next series of adventures! There have been a couple of good Trip Reports put up on this forum for Canadian Highpoint swings.