Camping near Humphrey's Peak trailhead?

Camping near Humphrey's Peak trailhead?

June 14th, 2006, 12:47 am #1

I'm going down to AZ with a buddy to climb Humphrey's Peak next weekend. We're going to drive down on late on Thursday, and we'd like to find a place to camp before climbing the mountain on Friday. I've tried finding campgrounds near the Humphrey's Peak trailhead, but to no avail. Does anybody here have any suggestions?

Thanks
-Hyrum

http://hiking.hyrumwright.org/

June 14th, 2006, 5:13 pm #2

Usually camping is kind of limited very near the trailhead, but good camping can be had off of the many forest roads off of US-180 that heads NW out of Flagstaff. We've camped in the forest near Kendrick Peak without any problems before. Very nice. We're talking about 10 miles up the road from the Snowbowl turnoff. Now... there may be restrictions against camping outside of established grounds due to the fire danger up there. Flagstaff has tons of decent old hotels with reasonable rates.

We were up in the Sedona area last weekend and the mountain looks awful pretty. No visible snow on the route. Have fun up there!

June 15th, 2006, 2:17 pm #3

The Woody Fire started up yesterday, burning in a mix of woodland and heavy grasses, west of Flagstaff. It's pretty far from Humphreys, for now. Main affected areas are Interstate-40 and Route-66. As usual, you may want to check in with the FS before setting out, in case of closures.

June 16th, 2006, 2:09 pm #4

It was put down - quickly and without any property damage. Barring anything unforeseen, Humphreys should be a fine hike this weekend and for awhile!

June 16th, 2006, 2:18 pm #5

Great! Thanks for the info, Scott.

One question, though. Are the camping areas you mentioned improved, or just a nice place to pull off the road? We're basically just looking for a place to sack out for a few hours; we're not planning on building a fire, so I don't think that should be much of a concern.

-Hyrum

http://hiking.hyrumwright.org/

June 16th, 2006, 5:26 pm #6

In the past my wife and I have camped in unimproved spots off of the forest roads. We usually don't build fires as well for the same reason. The forest up there is fairly open - the underbrush shouldn't be too heavy - so scatter camping is pretty easy to manage. The camping is usually very nice. Generally, the farther from Flagstaff, the easier time you'll have with finding out of the way spots. Hence you may find yourself camping farther away from the TH as you may have planned, but with less hassle.