Boundary Peak hints?

Boundary Peak hints?

June 15th, 2007, 8:22 am #1

My daughter and I are attempting HP # 45 at the end of June--Boundary Peak in Nevada.

Any suggestions on which route to take, and the driving directions to get there? I've seen several suggestions saying the Queen Canyon Road/route is the best way to go. We'll camp out near the trail head the night before and try a one-day trip.

Thanks.

Pat

June 15th, 2007, 11:17 am #2

Read Rick Hartman's Summit Trip report on this website. There are other trip reports as well.

June 15th, 2007, 12:47 pm #3

My daughter and I are attempting HP # 45 at the end of June--Boundary Peak in Nevada.

Any suggestions on which route to take, and the driving directions to get there? I've seen several suggestions saying the Queen Canyon Road/route is the best way to go. We'll camp out near the trail head the night before and try a one-day trip.

Thanks.

Pat
I provided the following in an email conversation earlier this year, so I'll reproduce it here since it is of frequent interest.

As far as Boundary Peak, I definitely recommend the Queen Canyon approach. Avoids a lot of talus slog up the east side plus affords the opportunity for a 2-day itinerary and quicker summit day if you have the time and don’t mind hauling a lot of water.

To get to the trailhead, start at Benton, CA, at the intersection of Hwy 120 and Hwy 6. Go north/east on Hwy 6 from Benton. In about 4 miles, you’ll cross the CA/NV state line. About 2 miles past that, there is a good gravel road on the right. This is the Queen Canyon road. On the opposite side of Hwy 6 are the ruins of “Jaime’s Ranch,” a former NV brothel. It’s not well marked but it’s what there is for a landmark. The map for the intersection can be found at Topozone.

As you head southeast on the QC road, you will reach a point about 2-3 miles in where the road drops from good graded gravel to a single-track Jeep trail. As I recall, the break between “any car” passable and “4wd passable” sections occurs at the bend in the center of this Topozone view.

You can continue from there to the Queen Canyon mine without too much trouble, but the road deteriorates significantly above the mine, at the center of this Topozone view.

Above that point, you’d want a pretty serious 4WD vehicle but the jeep trail does go all the way to the Kennedy Point saddle, at the center of this Topozone view.

That is where I had planned to camp. Obviously, it’d be a dry camp but since it’s only 2 or 2.5 miles from the QC mine to the Kennedy Point saddle, and you’re only going to be there one night, hauling a couple of gallons of water per person is still doable.

From the saddle, you head west-southwest and stay on the ridge or the southeast side of the ridge to the Trail Canyon Saddle at the lower left corner of this Topozone view.

You then follow the ridge generally south from the Trail Canyon Saddle to the summit of Boundary Peak at the lower left center in this view.

Of course, it you’re energetic, you’ll continue to the true summit of the complex, Montgomery Peak, on the CA side of the state line another mile or so SSW of Boundary Peak.

As luck would have it, you’ll need four different quads to cover this approach. The Kennedy Point saddle is right at the corner of a quad and it takes all four around that corner just to see a quarter-mile of the approach. Figures...

I have a map of the whole approach from the highway to the summit on my WWW site if you have the patience to download a half-meg file. This is pieced together from Topozone data. The yellow highlight marks reasonable gravel roads. The red is the upper jeep trail and the blue is the final hike.

...hope this helps...

June 15th, 2007, 1:09 pm #4

Re-reading my comments above, I realized there is a discrepancy between my description and some notations on the map of the approach.

The area at the Kennedy Point Saddle where I would suggest camping is at the break between the red jeep trail indication and the start of the blue hiking stretch. Back in 2001 when we originally planned this trip, we were going to hike a bit further along the ridgeline and camp where indicated in blue on the map. This probably isn't necessary and adds to the fully-loaded backpacking stretch if you're starting at the Queen Canyon Mine, which is the end of the "reasonable" jeep trail.

Sorry if that caused any confusion...

August 8th, 2007, 6:55 pm #5

Thanks.

Pat
It's a question on & off, but was hoping to hear from folks who've done in recent months how the road to the canyon trail trailhead is these days.

Shopping for a car rental, I find the rate nearly quadruples when you want an suv or high clearance vehicle. If the road is drivable for a car, I'll pass on getting a bigger vehicle.

August 10th, 2007, 5:38 pm #6

I did Boundary on July 17, 2007, via the Queen Canyon Route. We had a Ford Expedition (rental) and made it up as to the trail head which I think is at 9700'. You definately need 4-WD to get that far. But there is a lower flat area (about 9200') that you should be able to make with a 2-WD vehicle. E-mail me if you need more info.

August 13th, 2007, 1:30 pm #7

It's a question on & off, but was hoping to hear from folks who've done in recent months how the road to the canyon trail trailhead is these days.

Shopping for a car rental, I find the rate nearly quadruples when you want an suv or high clearance vehicle. If the road is drivable for a car, I'll pass on getting a bigger vehicle.
I did it about this time last year in a 2 WD low clearance vehicle (Buick). It was rough but made it to Queens Mine and camped. I hiked the last half mile to the official trailhead. If it rained while there I don't think I could have come down until it dried out. If I were to do it now I'd opt for a 4 WD and go all the way to the saddle to start the hike.

Good luck!

Bill S

August 14th, 2007, 4:05 am #8

Thanks.

Pat
http://americasroof.com/wp/archives/200 ... /boundary/

September 11th, 2007, 12:20 am #9

Thanks.

Pat
We camped out at the Kennedy Saddle near the trailhead and recommend getting started on the trail from here rather than from the mines. It's worth the time & energy saved - especially coming back

September 11th, 2007, 4:01 am #10

I did it about this time last year in a 2 WD low clearance vehicle (Buick). It was rough but made it to Queens Mine and camped. I hiked the last half mile to the official trailhead. If it rained while there I don't think I could have come down until it dried out. If I were to do it now I'd opt for a 4 WD and go all the way to the saddle to start the hike.

Good luck!

Bill S
You are weak! (Going to SW NC end of month. Got any time off? e-mail me)