Backpacker magazine

Backpacker magazine

April 15th, 2004, 7:59 pm #1

Just as John M. posted (tired to search for the thread, under Backpacker Magazine and 4 part series - no luck), The eastern highpoints (and Alaska???) were featured in Backpaker magazine this month. Got my issue in the mail yesterday. No mention of the club - but good incentive for others to check out the highpoints.

Tonya

April 15th, 2004, 10:54 pm #2

Websites were listed in the centerfold section which you may have been too modest to unfold

Next issue features a mini-bio of someone famous.

- John M.

April 16th, 2004, 6:42 pm #3

Just as John M. posted (tired to search for the thread, under Backpacker Magazine and 4 part series - no luck), The eastern highpoints (and Alaska???) were featured in Backpaker magazine this month. Got my issue in the mail yesterday. No mention of the club - but good incentive for others to check out the highpoints.

Tonya
Next Issue: more about the Club and Heartland Highpoints described

April 19th, 2004, 3:55 am #4

Websites were listed in the centerfold section which you may have been too modest to unfold

Next issue features a mini-bio of someone famous.

- John M.
Yes - I was shy and blushing thinking Backpacker might have turned a little raunchy this month. Okay, okay, I will check out the centerfold. But tell me - who is the someone famous? You maybe? The world must know! I am using all my patience waiting on the lovely newletter - er - magazine.

April 22nd, 2004, 4:19 am #5

Tonya
I liked the article and the centerfold that illustrates each of the states that are included in the HP article. They have featured states ranging from Maine to Virginia in the first run. I really liked the lighthouse photo of Mt Greylock. It makes me want to visit some of those states soon.

Also featured on the cover is Mt. Rainier. There is a contest you can enter to actually climb the mountain. Some of you may want to look into that. it is an essay contest, I believe.

April 22nd, 2004, 6:43 pm #6

Club member Charlie Zerphey won the Outside contest (Denali expedition is his prize) so I assume the Backpacker contest is within reach of someone else.

April 23rd, 2004, 5:18 pm #7

Tonya
This was also in backpacker and featured in the huge traildog group at yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Traildog/message/20455

Unfortunately no golden retrievers are mentioned.
---------

Let others argue whether dogs belong in the wilds. We submit that their
relentless esprit de corps and flawless camaraderie make them superlative
trail buddies-as long as the hound is suited to the hike. We asked Linda B
Mullally author of "HIking with Dogs" to pick the best companions for every
hiking style and climate.

Newfoundland- Headed for the rivers??........( more on that)
Australian Sheepdog- These tireless mates match big-mile hikers stride for
stride....( more on that)
Siberian Husky- For snow and high country outings, your choice is a
straight forward as a Jack London novel....( more)
Jack Russell terrier- It's an unexpected selection, but if you're looking
to burn through big miles....(more)
Pharoah hound- Desert rats can rily on this exotic Egyptian breed to keep
cool anywhere..( more)