Anyone interested in attempting Kings Peak (UT) 8/31/12 for 3 days?

Anyone interested in attempting Kings Peak (UT) 8/31/12 for 3 days?

April 1st, 2012, 3:50 am #1

Hi,

I don't want to try this by myself since it could be 3 days of hiking (10 per day?) and I've never gone this far to a high point, requires knowing how to find the summit (I get lost easily pretty much anywhere) and ... bottom line, I just wouldn't do it alone.

I'm attempting Mt Hood on June 5th with Timberline Mountain Guides which would be #44 and this would be #45 for Kings Peak if I made them both.

Any takers? I'm 51, in fairly good shape, haven't backpacked in years but I did it up Mt Whitney and made it 5 years or so ago while my friend didn't get past 4 miles and his boots caused bloody sores on his heels so he turned around. And, I would appreciate the company.

I plan to go to the Konvention in June but don't want to wait that long to meet somewhere there that may be interested since I want to get a plane ticket further in advance if possible.

I thought Labor Day Weekend would be a good bet since it may be more crowded and we'd see more people who may know the trail and where the top is if we got lost. I'd be flying from Md. on August 30th, Thursday into Salt Lake City, drive to the trail head area or somewhere near it and start hiking early Friday morning. Saturday would be the Kings Peak attempt day and then walk back Sunday (unless we had the extreme energy to walk back after the hike to the top on Saturday which I doubt).

Fly home Monday am, Labor Day.

Are the mosquitos still pretty awful this time of year? Is there a better time to go when the bugs aren't super bad? I don't do winter hiking, have no technical rock climbing skills or crampons and am afraid of heights - but none of my hikes yet really played into my extreme fear of heights (such as Chicken Out Ridge in ID - haven't tried that one yet).

Anyone? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Regards,
Steve R
Gaithersburg, MD.

May 30th, 2012, 2:15 am #2

I am interested but cannot set a definite date as yet.

I would be going with my daughter an ER Doctor in LA and when we go wil depend on her schedule.

I have completed Granite peak in MT and Gannet in WY. I am not the greatedt route finder by have always ended up at the right place.

June 2nd, 2012, 1:18 pm #3

Hi,

I don't want to try this by myself since it could be 3 days of hiking (10 per day?) and I've never gone this far to a high point, requires knowing how to find the summit (I get lost easily pretty much anywhere) and ... bottom line, I just wouldn't do it alone.

I'm attempting Mt Hood on June 5th with Timberline Mountain Guides which would be #44 and this would be #45 for Kings Peak if I made them both.

Any takers? I'm 51, in fairly good shape, haven't backpacked in years but I did it up Mt Whitney and made it 5 years or so ago while my friend didn't get past 4 miles and his boots caused bloody sores on his heels so he turned around. And, I would appreciate the company.

I plan to go to the Konvention in June but don't want to wait that long to meet somewhere there that may be interested since I want to get a plane ticket further in advance if possible.

I thought Labor Day Weekend would be a good bet since it may be more crowded and we'd see more people who may know the trail and where the top is if we got lost. I'd be flying from Md. on August 30th, Thursday into Salt Lake City, drive to the trail head area or somewhere near it and start hiking early Friday morning. Saturday would be the Kings Peak attempt day and then walk back Sunday (unless we had the extreme energy to walk back after the hike to the top on Saturday which I doubt).

Are the mosquitos still pretty awful this time of year? Is there a better time to go when the bugs aren't super bad? I don't do winter hiking, have no technical rock climbing skills or crampons and am afraid of heights - but none of my hikes yet really played into my extreme fear of heights (such as Chicken Out Ridge in ID - haven't tried that one yet).

Regards,
Steve R
Gaithersburg, MD.
I've been there twice (Kings, Gilbert) but haven't walked the ridge to South Kings which is Utah's former state highpoint. I was planning on a return in September; I have that weekend free. Talk to you at Mt. Hood - - we climb on Wed June 6.

June 8th, 2012, 5:42 pm #4

Hi,

Regards,
Steve R
Gaithersburg, MD.
I was likewise planning a trip to do Kings but earlier in August. I will be in SLC at the end of the month on business and could pull off a trip then. Route fiding to the peak will be quite easy absent a blinding blizzard.

Are you all still interested?

June 11th, 2012, 4:34 am #5

I've been there twice (Kings, Gilbert) but haven't walked the ridge to South Kings which is Utah's former state highpoint. I was planning on a return in September; I have that weekend free. Talk to you at Mt. Hood - - we climb on Wed June 6.
Great to meet you at Mount Hood and would love to coordinate a joint/group climb of Kings Peak if it's in the cards for you and others. I have bought a plane ticket and plan to meet a gentleman and his son in SLC on Thursday, should be at the trailhead late in the day that day and will start hiking on Friday morning. May hike in a few miles Thursday while there's still light and set up camp there instead of at the trailhead. My 71 year old uncle is joining me on his first high point attempt in Utah.

Steve R

June 11th, 2012, 4:36 am #6

I was likewise planning a trip to do Kings but earlier in August. I will be in SLC at the end of the month on business and could pull off a trip then. Route fiding to the peak will be quite easy absent a blinding blizzard.

Are you all still interested?
If you happen to be free Labor Day weekend instead of earlier in the month please let me know (you can email me through this site).

Cheers,
Steve R

June 11th, 2012, 4:37 am #7

I am interested but cannot set a definite date as yet.

I would be going with my daughter an ER Doctor in LA and when we go wil depend on her schedule.

I have completed Granite peak in MT and Gannet in WY. I am not the greatedt route finder by have always ended up at the right place.
Would love to do this with a bunch of folk if it happens that way. It would be interesting to see how fast or slow everyone hikes! I usually do all these by myself...

August 16th, 2012, 11:49 pm #8

If you happen to be free Labor Day weekend instead of earlier in the month please let me know (you can email me through this site).

Cheers,
Steve R
We should see you hiking out, trimuphant.
Our start date will depend on weather.

September 22nd, 2012, 9:17 pm #9

Hi,

Regards,
Steve R
Gaithersburg, MD.
Hiked 50 ft into the trail and my 71 year old tells me, with his 45 lb backpack on his back and weighing in at 117 lbs - "Steve, I didn't think the trail would be this rocky. This pack isn't fit right, it's hitting my head [he borrowed mine and REI spent an hour supposedly fitting it correctly], I can't do this!"

He says he's turning around and will wait for me for the 3 days. Arghhhhh. I had a bad feeling this might happen but not at the very beginning of the trail.

I hiked up the first 10 miles alone. Didn't pass 1 person. It was spooky. 2 guys were coming down at one point but no one came up. Passed Dollar Lake. Missed it. Found some guys that showed me to go back to it. Set up camp. Was totally bored for 5 hours from noon to 5 till a tremendous storm blew in (as well as hundreds of sheep in our site). Went to bed at 630pm out of boredom. Got up at 6pm, but no one from the site or anywhere else was going to the top that day due to the weather. Darn, I can't do it alone. I walked to the boulderfield before Gunsight. It started up with 50 mph winds, hail, lightning and thunder. Cowered under a boulder and some small shrubs for an hour till it passed. I HAD To make it to the top!!!

I started up again, didn't know what the path really was, it seemed to end at the boulder field so starting walking up it. STUPID ME. It started getting dangerously wet and rainy and stormy again. I was all alone. This seems wrong. I looked up and saw guys WAY up on the ridge. I realized the boulder field couldn't be right. They seemed to be on a switch back path I'd miss.

I panicked and starting running towards them right up the hill. They were so far down now but I shouted to them asking "IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY TO KING'S PEAK!???"

They said "YES!" I asked them if they made it to the top. They shouted that the weather was horrible and that no one would most likely make it up that day. It was front after front coming in and they could only see it from much nearer the top.

I ran as fast as I could to catch up to them and we talked for a while. I went back to my camp site. Some people were saying in a few hours they were going to make a push for the top, but huge storm clouds draped over the mtn.

I decided to give it up, get back to my family member who was pretty old and have a free day to hang out with him in Salt Lake City. The somewhat selfish thing would have been to sleep one more night there, regroup my brain and motivation and try it again but I"m sure he was lonely and had never even camped on his own before.

I made the right decision when I saw him many hours later. He was surprised but so glad to see me. We spent the next day our free day, seeing the Mormon Tabernacle choir sing in SLC and saw 3 independent films back to back.

Sometimes, being with your family is more important than bagging that next peak. Will try again next Labor Day Weekend if anyone wants to join .

The weird thing is that I basically hiked up that mountain for 2 days and didn't pass one person going up... all going down. The day I left the mountain, I passed over 100 people coming up!!! It's like they just knew that great weather was coming.

Apparently it hadn't rained in like 2 months up there and the 2 days I was there it rained and stormed. Dumb lack of luck.

Steve R
Gaithersburg MD