anyone been to gannett peak,wy lately ?

anyone been to gannett peak,wy lately ?

June 28th, 2005, 4:00 am #1

our group is suppose to be at the trailhead on july 7th .
we have heard the trail is impassable due to deep snow..
anyone heard differnt ?

June 28th, 2005, 11:09 pm #2

There are 4 trailheads for Gannett Peak, which one are you starting from?

June 28th, 2005, 11:20 pm #3

...standard route from the south.

June 29th, 2005, 4:12 am #4

Contact the folks at The Great Outdoors Shop in Pinedale, they will definitely have information regarding Elkhart Park / Titcomb Basin etc.

July 1st, 2005, 6:03 pm #5

our group is suppose to be at the trailhead on july 7th .
we have heard the trail is impassable due to deep snow..
anyone heard differnt ?
I am planning a trip to Gannett July 9-13. I have called the Forest service to check the current conditions and they have informed me that there is still several feet of snow covering the trail. There are reports of snow drifts up to 25 ft. near Phillips lake. They also said that horses are only able to go a few miles on the trail. Has anyone been up there yet this year? From the information that I am getting, it will be several weeks before the trail is clear.

July 4th, 2005, 12:43 am #6

I am planning on a trip to Gannett Peak the 3rd week of August so I was interested in your post. We are planning to use the Green River / Tourist Creek alternate route. After reading your question about current conditions, I phoned The Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale a few minutes ago. I was told the same thing you heard--snow is still deep on Gannett. The snowline is around 9,600' (Phillips Lake is at 10,000' or better). I was also told that these are normal snow levels and that snow accumulations in recent years have been below normal. They are recommending show shoes for negotiating the deep snow.

July 19th, 2005, 5:57 pm #7

I am planning a trip to Gannett July 9-13. I have called the Forest service to check the current conditions and they have informed me that there is still several feet of snow covering the trail. There are reports of snow drifts up to 25 ft. near Phillips lake. They also said that horses are only able to go a few miles on the trail. Has anyone been up there yet this year? From the information that I am getting, it will be several weeks before the trail is clear.
Does anyone have more recent information regarding the current snow conditions (depth, consolidation, etc.) on the approch to Gannett Peak via Elkhart Park and Upper Titcomb Lake?

July 19th, 2005, 6:59 pm #8

Here's a trip report from about two weeks ago over on backpacker.com

http://forums.backpacker.com/thread.jsp ... &tstart=30

July 19th, 2005, 7:59 pm #9

Does anyone have more recent information regarding the current snow conditions (depth, consolidation, etc.) on the approch to Gannett Peak via Elkhart Park and Upper Titcomb Lake?
We were up there from July 7th-12th. I'll try to post a trip report in the next 24 hours, but the quick info i have immediately is fairly similar from the backpacker trip report below, but a little more benign. The snow on the approach was disappearing fast. Despite what the rangers said, we did not bring snowshoes, and would have never used them if we had. Most of the few remainining snow fields had steps or postholes to follow through them. The bit of the trail that is IN Little Seneca Lake had appeared close enough to the surface that we simply waded through, about thigh deep. With less snow to melt, the trail might be on dry land by now. Bonney Pass is a bear. More to follow....be safe!

markv

July 25th, 2005, 3:54 am #10

We just spent what might be the luckiest week in Wind River Mtn. history on our way to summit Gannett. No rain from July 16-22. At all. This allowed us to summit (via Titcomb Basin) on the 20th as most of the western cities were breaking hot weather records.

The snow conditions were still good, although getting slushy in the afternoon. The all important snowbridge at the bergschrund was still there on the 20th. There were well established packed down footprints to follow that eliminated any need for snowshoes. There was plenty of weight to carry anyway. We used rope and snow pickets starting on the steep part of Gooseneck Glacier which helped us arrest on the tired traveling going down.

If the warm weather continues, I'd expect the snowbridge to be melted out in the next week or so.