2010 Highpointing Accomplishments

2010 Highpointing Accomplishments

December 11th, 2010, 6:21 am #1

I wish spellcheck would recognize highpointing as a real word.

Anyway, it's that time of year. As we celebrate the holidays, the days get shorter, and the year comes to a close, take a moment to tell the forum what your highpointing achievements were in 2010, and what your plans are for 2011.

As for mine, it was a zero-highpoint year. Life's been busy, but i did get in a new California 14er, Mt. Tyndall. Not an easy climb at all. Class 3 supposedly, but a tough class 3 with a long approach. For 2011, nothing is sure. I'd like again to set up a trip to Granite via the SW Couloir, assumedly in late August or early September. Any takers?

Happy Holidays and Happy Highpointing...

markv

December 11th, 2010, 4:36 pm #2

Although I think I got in more year-round local peakbagging (repeat mountains) in the Catskills and Adirondacks than I have in several years, this was the first year since I started state highpointing that I postd a zero. Stuck on 45 for the time being.

Now I should say that it wasn't for lack of trying. After 9 MONTHS of planning and training for a climb of Gannett via the Glacier Trail with Holsti97 and some others, my trip blew up on me between the time my plane landed in Salt Lake City and I arrived in Dubois, Wyoming. As it turned out, I never ever set foot on the trail. The rest of the team had a successful trip with most of the guys summitting. Long story short, my littlest girl had a serious medical problem that I had to return home immediately to help tend to. It all turned out well in the end, but it ended my trip.

For 2011, I will be attempting Mount Hood via Leuthold's Couloir with Timberline Mountain Guides in early March. Really looking forward to it. Should be finalizing plans for this trip in the next week.

Happy Holidays to all ... hope you had a great 2010!

December 11th, 2010, 11:03 pm #3

Anyway, it's that time of year. As we celebrate the holidays, the days get shorter, and the year comes to a close, take a moment to tell the forum what your highpointing achievements were in 2010, and what your plans are for 2011.

As for mine, it was a zero-highpoint year. Life's been busy, but i did get in a new California 14er, Mt. Tyndall. Not an easy climb at all. Class 3 supposedly, but a tough class 3 with a long approach. For 2011, nothing is sure. I'd like again to set up a trip to Granite via the SW Couloir, assumedly in late August or early September. Any takers?

markv
I burned too much vacation time on Scout stuff and never made it up into the mountains this summer, so I'm still stuck at 42. On the bright side, I'm up to 117 countries visited. Where I collect peaks, my wife collects countries. She has 130 so far. (Look up the Travelers Century Club for more info on that goal...)

On the bright side, a buddy and I have our climb of Rainier booked for the last week of July, 2011, with International Mountain Guides. I only have "big ones" left, so WA will be one of the toughest. My other seven are AK, OR, UT, ID, WY, MT and NV. Skunked twice on UT and ID, weather once each, other issues once each and car problems that prevented us from even getting to the trailhead on NV.

I gotta retire one of these days so I can spend a whole summer out west and knock off those remaining peaks in the lower 48. Will decide after Rainier next summer whether to even try Denali...

December 12th, 2010, 5:55 pm #4

Although I think I got in more year-round local peakbagging (repeat mountains) in the Catskills and Adirondacks than I have in several years, this was the first year since I started state highpointing that I postd a zero. Stuck on 45 for the time being.

Now I should say that it wasn't for lack of trying. After 9 MONTHS of planning and training for a climb of Gannett via the Glacier Trail with Holsti97 and some others, my trip blew up on me between the time my plane landed in Salt Lake City and I arrived in Dubois, Wyoming. As it turned out, I never ever set foot on the trail. The rest of the team had a successful trip with most of the guys summitting. Long story short, my littlest girl had a serious medical problem that I had to return home immediately to help tend to. It all turned out well in the end, but it ended my trip.

For 2011, I will be attempting Mount Hood via Leuthold's Couloir with Timberline Mountain Guides in early March. Really looking forward to it. Should be finalizing plans for this trip in the next week.

Wow, Leuthold's Couloir in March. What kind of weather window are you planning?

You'll love Rainier, Alan. I still haven't decided about Denali myself...

December 12th, 2010, 8:59 pm #5

It's a one-day climb with TMG and includes a snowcat ride to the top of the ski-area. I'm planning on being in Oregon for three full days with a travel day on each end so if the day I reserve turns to crap, I'll still be able to salvage the climb (hopefully).

I figure if I'm going to go with a guide service, I'm going to use it to stay far away from the South Side circus in May and June. Fitness will be the key thing.

December 13th, 2010, 4:02 am #6

markv
18 if you count DC (Which I don't really count) After my wife decided she didn't want to be married anymore on May 28th, I was able to finally take off and do some high points. For a long time she was saying "We can't afford it. It's not fair that you take off and leave me alone for a week" Well, that's no longer an issue. She left me!

Yeah for me, though . It was a sad time but planning and doing the high points brought much joy to a painful emotional state. Something about the planning, the research, the thinking about the goals, the driving, the hiking, and the driving back after successful high points took the sting of this situation away a bit.

In August 2011, as I've said, I plan to fly to Denver and spend 9 days and do 6 more HP's. ND, SD, NE, KS, OK and NM, god willing. Then I should be at 41.

Cheers,
Steve R

December 13th, 2010, 3:51 pm #7

It's a one-day climb with TMG and includes a snowcat ride to the top of the ski-area. I'm planning on being in Oregon for three full days with a travel day on each end so if the day I reserve turns to crap, I'll still be able to salvage the climb (hopefully).

I figure if I'm going to go with a guide service, I'm going to use it to stay far away from the South Side circus in May and June. Fitness will be the key thing.
I take it you know the weather pattern up there. I remember non-stop rain/snow in March, so i looked up the last 4 years' data. In March of 2010, there were 7 days without precip. In 2009, 5 days. In 2008 1 day. In 2007 1 day. I'm surprised there are guide companies even up and running summit climbs that time of year.

December 13th, 2010, 4:55 pm #8

Perhaps we should count it as a summit like standing by the sign on Jerimoth Hill, RI. You flew 2100 miles to Salt Lake City and had dinner with your climbing team in Dubois, WY. Close enough.

December 13th, 2010, 5:13 pm #9

markv
On July 19 four of us reached the summit of Gannett Peak via the Glacier Trail from the Dubois side. We did it with no guides and no horse support. May be the toughest thing I ever did, but also the most rewarding. It was my second attempt on Gannett and it was great to reach the summit with my friend Dale Carley(47) from Georgia. I was disappointed that Mark S. had to return to New York due to a medical emergency with his daughter and that my climbing partner Ed stayed at Wilson Meadows with altitude sickness.

In October my wife Mary and I visited my friend Dale Carley in Georgia and went to a Braves baseball game.

We visited the Georgia Aquarium and then went to the Alabama highpoint at
Cheaha State Park. We had dinner at the restaurant and enjoyed the view.
We were surprised by the beauty of Alabama with it's hills and trees.

On Tuesday we visited the Florida highpoint and then spent several hours at the
Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. The museum was impressive and very well
done. We were glad that we stopped.

On Wednesday we viisted Driskill Mountain in Louisiana early in the morning
and then decided to drive to Magazine Mountain in Arkansas since Mary had
not done that one. It was a very long drive, but we made it by evening and
visited the visitor center at the top. We met some Highpointers in the gift
shop. They were all headed to the Konvention.

On Thursday morning at 7 AM we did Woodall Mountain in Mississippi and were
surprised to find a truck with WISCONSIN license plates on the top. It was
Kenny Pokora from Waukesha, Wisconsin and his wife. I knew that Kenny had
done 50 state highpoints from the Highpointers Directory, but had never met
him. I learned that Kenny has done the 50 state highpoints twice and is
close to doing all 50 for a 3rd time. He also has climbed all of the 7
Summits except Everest.

Our trip was a typical multi-state grind. 1942 miles of driving, looking
for hotels late at night, and eating on the run. I am at 46 highpoints and
Mary is at 29. I will be applying for a Whitney permit for next year and
may also do Katahdin. Hope to have 48 state highpoints completed in 2011.

December 13th, 2010, 7:01 pm #10

markv
2010 was another year with zero HPs for me.

I continue to sit at 49 and the 50th continues to taunt me every clear day.