1st Timer's Thoughts on HP Konvention

1st Timer's Thoughts on HP Konvention

July 31st, 2007, 2:59 pm #1

Congratulations to Jim Sutton and the Board on hosting a great Konvention in Wisconsin! It was the first time that our family attended a HP Konvention. We greatly enjoyed meeting and hiking with other Highpointers. The party at Stevens Point Brewery was nice. I heard good things about the dairy farm and Harley Davidson tours. The county highpointing trips were a great success despite meeting an ornery landowner in Jackson County. Timms Hill was HP #24 for me.

I would like to suggest some changes for the banquet. The meal was good and Don Holmes is a great MC. The door prizes from Chessler Books are wonderful. However, I felt sorry for Don having to read ticket numbers through the entire meal and not having a chance to eat his own meal. It was also hard to hear the number which he read at times. Would it be possible to draw the numbers before the banquet and then post them on a screen 5-at-a-time using Power Point until the door prizes are gone? That would allow Don to eat and the members would be sure that it was their number that was called.

Congratulations to Robert Hyman and Nikki Hemphill on winning the Vin Hoeman Award. I was confused that Robert gave an acceptance speech, but Nikki's honor was followed by handing out certificates of appreciation to about 50 other people in attendance. That seemed to stall the banquet and took away from Nikki's honor. An awards banquet should make a big deal about the big awards. Those other certificates could have been mailed out.

My biggest disappointment was that the new 48 and 50 Completers were not recognized enough. They were just called up as a group and then a group photo was taken. To complete 48 or 50 Highpoints is a BIG accomplishment if you are a Highpointer. This should be the main focus of the Awards Banquet. Honor these people. Call them up one at a time by name. Give them a plaque. Let them give a brief speech. If you know that they are coming to the Konvention you could even ask for 4 or 5 photos that could be put on a Powerpoint presentation. What was their 1st Highpoint? What was their last HP? How many did they have to attempt more than once? That would be interesting to me and others.

Once again...we had a great time and it was fun to meet the people we read about in the Apex to Zenith magazine or on the internet. I would welcome any comments on my suggestions.

July 31st, 2007, 5:00 pm #2

Doug, I agree wholeheartedly with your every word. Your suggestions for banquet changes are excellent. I hope Rick Hartman (AZ konvention host) is listening. Highpointers have their traditions, and like many, at times can be resistant to change, but your suggestions are clearly change for the better.

July 31st, 2007, 5:22 pm #3

Congratulations to Jim Sutton and the Board on hosting a great Konvention in Wisconsin! It was the first time that our family attended a HP Konvention. We greatly enjoyed meeting and hiking with other Highpointers. The party at Stevens Point Brewery was nice. I heard good things about the dairy farm and Harley Davidson tours. The county highpointing trips were a great success despite meeting an ornery landowner in Jackson County. Timms Hill was HP #24 for me.

I would like to suggest some changes for the banquet. The meal was good and Don Holmes is a great MC. The door prizes from Chessler Books are wonderful. However, I felt sorry for Don having to read ticket numbers through the entire meal and not having a chance to eat his own meal. It was also hard to hear the number which he read at times. Would it be possible to draw the numbers before the banquet and then post them on a screen 5-at-a-time using Power Point until the door prizes are gone? That would allow Don to eat and the members would be sure that it was their number that was called.

Congratulations to Robert Hyman and Nikki Hemphill on winning the Vin Hoeman Award. I was confused that Robert gave an acceptance speech, but Nikki's honor was followed by handing out certificates of appreciation to about 50 other people in attendance. That seemed to stall the banquet and took away from Nikki's honor. An awards banquet should make a big deal about the big awards. Those other certificates could have been mailed out.

My biggest disappointment was that the new 48 and 50 Completers were not recognized enough. They were just called up as a group and then a group photo was taken. To complete 48 or 50 Highpoints is a BIG accomplishment if you are a Highpointer. This should be the main focus of the Awards Banquet. Honor these people. Call them up one at a time by name. Give them a plaque. Let them give a brief speech. If you know that they are coming to the Konvention you could even ask for 4 or 5 photos that could be put on a Powerpoint presentation. What was their 1st Highpoint? What was their last HP? How many did they have to attempt more than once? That would be interesting to me and others.

Once again...we had a great time and it was fun to meet the people we read about in the Apex to Zenith magazine or on the internet. I would welcome any comments on my suggestions.
Thanks for your suggestions.

The 48/50 process was actually an improvement (at host Jim Sutton's suggestion) over earlier efforts in which to 48/50 completers just stood up en masse and didn't even come forward for a photo op. It will be refined over the next conventions.

Flagging the problem with the raffle is actually also a tribute to Jim's planning. Previously, we always struggled with food service (sometimes taking as much as two hours between the start and end of the lines). The solution had been to occupy the time with the raffle in which "everybody wins." But with the fast food service the raffle seemed a bit out of place.

That will definitely be reviewed in the next conventions. My knee jerk reaction is that the raffle should highlight a few great items (and the kiddie bags) and do away with the time consuming "everybody wins" process (which has been going on almost since the start of the conventions).

July 31st, 2007, 6:01 pm #4

Public broadcasting of comments is an excellent way to initiate important discussion, however, it is also important for suggestions and feedback be sent to the Chairman of the Covention Committee, which is currently Nikki Hemphill. She does an outstanding job helping with details for each convention. The hosts (Jim in WI, Rick in AZ, Steve/Roger in NJ) will get the word from Nikki, as she is the main point of contact for ideas.

Regarding the banquet, each year there are many "suggestions," and all are appreciated. The key problem with the banquet/membership meeting/awards ceremony is the time it takes. Nearly everything that's done has an eye on the clock to keep the event moving along.

Most of the finishers of the Lower 48 and the List Completers (50) have already been recognized via the newsletter and at previous conventions, so typically they just stand to be acknowledged. It was nice that Jim had a group photo taken of each group, and it didn't take much time. Having a word from each would be time consuming, although I totally understand your desire to hear from the completers and see more reconition of them as the ultimate success of the hobby. Also, there were many finishers of 49 highpoints that didn't come forward for the 48 photo. Maybe Rick can figure out a way to improve on what was already an improvement.

The door prizes have always been a odd thing to coordinate. Typically we don't have a screen running, but it's a good idea to post the ticket numbers. Yet another volunteer is needed.

The Frank Ashley awards are too important just to mail to people. This award recognizes the members that have stepped up to help during the past year, and they should be recognized for that. We are an all-volunteer organization. That being said, this year had tne times more FA awards because they were issued to all volunteers of the convention crewe. So that kind of made it longish.

Excellent feedback and suggestions. Keep it coming! And make sure Nikki hears directly!

August 2nd, 2007, 6:02 pm #5

I would like to echo congratulations on a great Konvention. The organization and overall program for Wisconson was excellent-one of the best I have ever attended!

The only negative, as others have mentioned, was the Banquet program. Future organizers need to find a way for the raffel to go quicker. It went on , and on, and on. I also agree that we need to recognize completers and MAJOR contributors, but need to find another way to thank other volunteers. I'm certain that all who volunteer do not do so for the purpose of getting recognized at the next convention. By the time all the volunteers had come forward and been recognized, many people had just left, and that is a shame.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative - It really was a terrific Konvention overall.

August 22nd, 2007, 7:46 pm #6

Thanks to everyone for coming and for the great ideas. It was our intention to shorten the program somewhat by having the food served family style this year, which seemed to work well. This was especially important because of the number of families with smaller children attending this year. I also felt it was VERY important to acknowledge the 48 and 50 completers better than we have in past years. And we added some new items with the first-completer certificates and the flag transfer ceremony, which I hope will be continued in future years.

Obviously, the passing out of the Frank Ashley awards was NOT in the schedule! However, I feel that it was the right way to go. As John said, this is an all-volunteer outfit, and recognizing those who keep these events going is very important.

The raffle ticket discussion comes up every year. One thing many may not recognize is that Don Holmes, in his role as MC, really enjoys calling out the numbers and seeing the prizes distributed. And it's also a lot of fun to win (or harass those who did!). However, we never thought about putting the numbers up on the screen, which would certainly facilitate the process (Duh!). All said, the banquet is always the trickiest part of the eight conventions I have been to. Each venue and circumstance is unique, and every host has dealt with the many items on the schedule as best he or she can. I admit to being guilty of adding to the program length a bit by wanting to acknowledge the great hotel staff and the caterers, as well as all the folks who really made this convention as successful as it was. They certainly deserve their thirty seconds of recognition and thanks.

Finally, thanks to all of you who attended and, I hope, had a good time. That was certainly my goal. It was a great experience to be able to host WI 2007. I think I'll take a break for awhile! Good luck to the AZ 2008 and NJ 2009 hosts. I am sure they will carefully evaluate all your recommendations. See ya one time over dere by Flagstaff, eh? JES

August 20th, 2008, 3:51 pm #7

I started this thread about a year ago after attending my first Highpointers Konvention in Wisconsin. Having just completed Granite Peak in Montana with Ben who bagged HP #48, Tim who reached HP #47, and Jeff #45 I would like to repeat my recommendation that Highpointers who complete 48 or 50 highpoints should receive a little more hoopla at the Konvention. It was Ben's third attempt on Granite. All 4 of us have had multiple attempts on other mountains. Highpointers spend a lot of time and money to reach 48 or 50 highpoints and it only seems fitting that they should be recognized for their accomplishment. Reaching the summits of Denali, Granite, Gannett, Rainier, Whitney, Boundary Peak, Kings Peak, Borah, and Mount Hood is a big deal. That's what this group is all about. Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the festivities in Arizona, but I hope that the board will consider making a big deal about the 48 and 50 completers who are attending the Konvention in Flagstaff. Have a great Konvention!