Space Marine Flyers

Please post your Space Marine Conversions in here.

Space Marine Flyers

12 Nov 2013, 21:40 #1

Hi all, this is my first posting of a series of projects that I have been planning for a long while but now have actually started to make - A THUNDERHAWK and various transports for Imperial Space Marines. They are a series of transport ships based on the ‘Storm Raven’ and ‘Dark Talon’ gunship models that have been produced by games workshop.

Of course when they don’t conform to the rules or basic ideas of games workshop I would only use them for ‘in-house’.

I really liked the style of these ships and so thought about various ways of working and converting them so that they can be used in different ways. The main ways being troop and armour transportation. I have a basic outline of the different hull types with point capacities and my temporary name designations for game play.

Dark Talon (Scout 5 Man) ‘Kestrel’
Storm Raven (10 Man) ‘Falcon’
Storm Eagle (20 Man) ‘Harrier’
Thunderhawk (30 Man) ‘Eagle’
Storm Bird (50 Man) ‘Condor’
Drop Ship (100 Man) ‘Roc’

Unfortunately I have encountered a problem when it comes to size, This is because I have not had the chance or the money to purchase an actual Thunderhawk to have the ability to compare size with. I have purchased many of the fliers so that I can compare and utilise for ideas but the Thunderhawk has eluded me. The basic dimensions that I am using for my Thunderhawk model is from the forge world site.

I welcome any and all comments to help with the design of the vehicles. Thank you for your time.

13 Nov 2013, 08:38 #2

looked at the first pic but my browser keeps shutting down on photobucket at the moment, can you post the images instead of links please?
when looking at the pic there should be a cog in the top right corner, click on this and then get links, the IMG code at the bottom is the link you need for forum usage, hope that helps and i get to see more of what look like nice builds :)

22 Nov 2013, 20:55 #3

Are you planning on the thunderhawk being a transport or the normal model? If i recall when I was doing research on mine that the transport variant is a slightly larger model as a whole.

You can likely use the storm ravens to your advantage for building the other models. If you take some casts of the engines and other parts that would shave off quite a bit of detailing time

04 Dec 2013, 16:27 #4

Here is an update on the work that has been done. Thank you Firebird71 for the advice. Actually I am going to set it up so that the mid to aft cargo sections can be removed and insert vehicles there. I have thought along time and worked on various hook-ups and inserts that would work to transport the various cargo shipments. (Not sure how it will work in the final or even in play, but it looks good in my head and on paper!!!) This is a mock up. My third attempt at building vehicles. But this is the first that I actually have the hope to reach completion.... ;)

The wings being worked on a little.

The tail being worked on.

The rear ... with the emplacement for a little surprise laugh!

The vertical take off or landing thrusters housing.

The cockpit windshield.

What it looks like as of now.

05 Dec 2013, 09:41 #5

I have to say that i like your re-design of the Thunderhawk. If GW was to release a plastic kit of the Thunderhawk these days ( :lol: ), i guess it would look pretty much like where you are heading. It's fitting nicely with the current range of Space Marine aircraft and has a bit more aesthetics than the old flying brick from [I Swear Too Much].

Keep going, it's looking good so far!
look at my horse, my horse is amazing...

08 Dec 2013, 19:30 #6

Looks very nice! Did you by any chance keep your notes and make some templates to possibly share with others? :D

15 Dec 2013, 04:44 #7

*smile* When I am done with the mock-ups and have a final that I am happy with I will share. I want to have the plans, list of parts and materials, as well as where I got the parts and materials available for all so that they can build what I have built or improve on it and to share it with me.

This main one that I have been working on is a mock up to work out some of the kinks and ways that it looks. I was hoping to have the hull a certain size (between the width of a land raider and a rhino) but after seeing and working on the mock-up it seems way to wide. I will be making it a little thinner. You know a variation on the Atkins diet. The new sketches on the new dimensions overall look even better. I had worked on the sketches and worked the mock-up from there. This time I will do it again. So there will be a new mock-up that I am hoping to have ready t show others by the end of this week.

23 Dec 2013, 07:02 #8

Hi all. Here is my latest post and most likely the last post i may be able to put up for this year due to family and the holidays.

The bad news... As i had been working out the dimensions and plans i was definitively not happy how the mock up looked. It was a mock up to test and to see how things would look before spending lots of money on plastic boards and building it.
:) :)

The good news the new mock up has the dimensions that i am more happy with and it looks tighter.

The plans..... And now as it takes shape as storm hawk mock-up version 2...

Thank youfor your time and i hope to see comments, reactions, and even advice on how to improve this project.

Oh before i forget I am torn between putting the [I Swear Too Much] VTOL thrusters in between the 2 hatches or in front of them like the raven has the thrusters close to the [I Swear Too Much] entrance ramp. Aesthetically the second actually looks better to me. What do you think?

24 Dec 2013, 17:09 #9

Go with your second option if your going to forgo the canards. In between the doors if your adding the [I Swear Too Much] canards. I'm loving this redesigned t-hawk. I may actually attempt this if you share out plans.

26 Dec 2013, 06:41 #10

looking good.
I like it. keep us posted.

:)

30 Dec 2013, 02:11 #11

Thank you I am looking [I Swear Too Much] to the new year as well as time to work on the project. Im hoping to finish the designs to be able to post good and proper ideas that can be looked at, critiqued, and give suggestions on how to improve.

31 Dec 2013, 00:48 #12

Yeah, run with the second version. And honestly, save your templates and measurements! This looks like a project that a lot of people wouldn't mind doing if it works out!

31 Dec 2013, 20:35 #13

Here is a little update of the designing going on. I have more to work on but it is coming along. I am am hoping to have all the plans done so that I can continue on the building in 1-2 weeks.

01 Jan 2014, 04:26 #14

Oh heck yeah! Call it a MacDougall-pattern Thunderhawk. And then we get a dozen or so people from WIP to all show up at some event and we'll all have MacD T'hawks and everyone will want one!

02 Jan 2014, 15:23 #15

I was writing a response to Lord Balok when it got me thinking of some ideas so I thought to share some of that here:

Thank you for the encouragement. I would like to think of it but actually I have a couple of names picked out already. (such as condor, roc, peryton, ... I want the series of names to be consistent. Laugh* definitely not like real life) In fact I am working on the 40k version of things with an eye for the 30K version in the [Warning No Swearing]. It is because I really like the curves of the 30k land speeders and jet bikes. laugh* just a side note I made plans of a dreadnought in the style with the curves of 30k but had it look like the precursor of the current boxy 40k version. I did it 15 years ago. It still is only on a page. So when they say that mine can go in and be the same as the venerable dread mark but just say that the armour and look was when the stc was still accessible and not destroyed or something like that.

02 Jan 2014, 15:37 #16

I have some good news and some bad news.... The bad news is that I won't continue with the Version 2 thunderhawk, and of course the 1st one is long since out of the running.... That leaves a new version to be made.... Laugh! Actually now that I worked on most of the questions that I had about variables, patterns, and design looks it is time to construct 2 - 3 of the version 3 to see how swapping of engines, canards, bellies, tails, and weapons will look. Afterwards it will be time to work on the interior. I will have photos of the plans for the 2 versions as soon as I can. (There is a third that is rattling around in my head but it would use the styling of what I have with some major changes to the wings. including engines... Hint: proper void ready...with a dash of starfury.) :lol:

26 Jan 2014, 04:09 #17

It has been a long while and finding time to work on the project has been hard. I have [I Swear Too Much] some time and here are some of the photos of how they are coming along. I have started 3 prototypes this time. The main difference will be on how the wings, canards, tail and those parts are different for the types of chapters that may use them. Basically I have the idea of Space Wolf, Ultramarine, Blood Angel types of patterns....

And as the main hull is assembled and viewed....

Thank you for viewing.

26 Jan 2014, 18:33 #18

Looking good so far! Once you finalize a plan, I would still welcome a set of templates! Heck, if you have them I could use templates for all three marks so far!

12 Mar 2015, 02:56 #19

I have been working on the storm bird design of late and here it is.

I am finally happy with the basic body shape and some of the important aspect of the silouette. The bird is finally starting to shape up.