23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

Painting your Imperial Guard Or Inquisition army or just wanting to show your [I Swear Too Much] work? From Witch Hunters, Deamon Hunters or GreyKnights Please post in here.

23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

23 Nov 2007, 16:12 #1

Hello there,

I have been lurking quite awhile, enjoying all the excellent posts that are on this site, getting inspired and looking [I Swear Too Much] to the time when I could return the favor.

So, I am in the process of putting together my beloved Elysians. I loved these figures from the first day the images were posted by [I Swear Too Much]. Although I have to admit that it was the imagery around the Valkyrie that really got me started. I then began an acquisition "campaign" that kicked off towards the end of 2006.

Because I had other projects lined up beforehand, I wasn't able to start off on the Elysians right away, but always used them as the carrot to keep me moving on all the other stuff.

Once the figures had been acquired didn't mean that I could just jump in and start throwing some paint on them. I had to visualize what they would look like in my mind first, then I could start producing something a little more tangible.

After fiddling around with a couple of different schemes, plus wanting them to be able to fit in with other armies that I had planned, I settled on a "winter/sub-arctic" kind of scheme. Also, because I wanted to play with these guys in my lifetime and I don't like my figures to look like they are ready for a parade, I decided to strive for a more gritty or battle worn look. This translated into layered drybrushing, as well as layers on the armor.

The color palette I settled on makes use of the Foundation colors because of their coverage, but more importantly to me, because they are dull or flat colors, they look less toy-like to me when applied. I'll detail the exact colors a little later.

Here is a pic of the test figure I did up just to get the applications down. It's no where near what the final figures will look like, but it helped me see what the overall scheme would look like. I wanted figures that looked like they could blend in with snow, ash waste, or urban if necessary, so that meant off-whites, light greys, and warm browns and greens with grey in them to soften the tones.

That also meant that nobody is going to jump up and down about them on coolminiornot or some other painting forum. I'm not painting them to be pretty, I'm painting them to play with and look somewhat realistic.

TEST FIG

Now I realize that this looks pretty bland and the differences between the armor and the fabric are not distinct, but not to worry, as I said, this figure was intended more to teach me how to get the exact application of colors on the fig.

STAGE 2

This image shows what a figure looks like with a light dry brush of VMC 987, then a light dry brush of Foundation Astronomicon Grey.

STAGE 3

This image shows base application of VMC Beige 927.

STAGE 4

This image shows the next layer of GW Space Wolf Grey over the top of the beige. The idea here is to produce a white that separates itself from the fabric. The other thing that's kind of interesting about these shots is how the light is basically shooting through the SW Grey and some of the Beige is showing through. This doesn't happen in normal light as you will see in the next images.

STAGE 5

At this point, I'll stop with this batch and work on another 20 or so to get them to Stage 5. Once I have done that to all the infantry (roughtly 85 of them), then I can put them into squads and then do some squad markings. On the figures where I have enough room, I want to put the 23rd regiment badge and probably a campaign badge.

I haven't completely [I Swear Too Much] out the basing yet, but it will probably be some combination of frozen earth, snow, dead grass, and a little urban ruin. I'll do a mock up for that when I get around to it and post.

The force I am putting together is the remnants of the 23rd, post-Taros campaign. They are on a 'crusade" to remove the stain on their honor of that engagement and exact their revenge on the Tau.

So thanx for indulging me and I look [I Swear Too Much] to working these guys through to completion and the table. I have been playing the Elysian list with proxies for awhile now and it is quite a [Warning No Swearing] and challenging list.

C&C greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.

The 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

Mud

24 Nov 2007, 12:38 #2

I really like the elysian look. The wargear is something to marvel at as well. if I had the financial resources I would do an army of them along with the Kreig.

Well done!

24 Nov 2007, 12:46 #3

It seems the imperial guard encompasses most army styles. With WWI trenchers in the krieg, Russian/Winter guys in the Vostroyans and Valhallans, Rambo in the Catachans, colonial in the Praetorians, dress uniforms with the Mordians, renegade Chem Dogs, stormtroopers in the steel legion, Modern with the Cadians...and high tech sci-fi with Elysians.

30 Nov 2007, 02:28 #4

They look great. I can kinda see the beige through on all the pics but it kinda looks like the armour plating is a very light beige with alot of snow on it. It might just look that way in pics but if not I'd go with that and then counter balance the very white troops with middle greys on the bases.

30 Nov 2007, 02:45 #5

I'm not a big fan of the dry brushed clothing. The contrast between the dark and light is too harsh. Try taking the base color and adding just a touch of grey to it.

01 Dec 2007, 23:53 #6

Cheers for the comments everyone.

Re: Beige

Yes, it definitely shows through in all the pictures, but that seems to be a [Warning No Swearing] of the camera flash. Under normal lighting conditions, it just comes off as a warm white.

Re: Contrasts

I agree that the contrast is stark. One of my original concerns regarding these figs is that with the high amount of detail present, how do I go about painting them in a reasonable amount of time without trashing the fig. Each individual soldier is not going to stand out to Golden Demon standards, but in bulk I think they are going to be Ok. Also, the contrast adds to the "grittiness" I am looking for, even if it's not the best way to achieve that effect.

One of the things that I am currently researching is a [Warning No Swearing] Floor Finish technique which will deepen the shadows, but also tone down the contrasts. If I get comfortable with that, then I will add that to the list.

Currently, I'm finishing up the next batch of 10, then settling on how to base them. Anyway, I know that dry brushing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but thank you for taking a look.

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.

08 Dec 2007, 13:01 #7

Ok, time for some updates.

Given that I have a bunch of guys to bring up to the same level of coverage, I'll most likely not post every week just to say, "Oh look, here's another 10 guys with brown boots!" B)

So the intent will be to post progress shots when it makes sense, especially when I need [I Swear Too Much] or a bolstering of courage. <"yes, it's a lot of figures, just keep your head down and go!">

Here's a couple of shots of the crowd so far, it's around 33 guys if I counted correctly.

This is a test model for what could be a Hardened Vets scheme. I want to do something different for these guys and I think that's going to be camo smocks. So then the real decider is now what scheme. I like the color contrast here, but it needs another color to keep it from getting too bland, so I'll be working on that for the next batch of shots.

These next shots were my test of reds. I wasn't sure if I would like Red Gore or Mechrite Red better.

Mechrite Red

Red Gore

As you can see, the Mechrite Red is more opaque and is a good red without looking too bright. The red stripe on shoulder armor denotes veterans in the Elysian army.

Next up is some sample basing. My vision is for the army to be operating on the steppes somewhere, towards the end of Fall, so there's still some dead grass around, but snow has fallen a few times. I am attempting to induce a temperature drop when I put these guys on the table. ;)

Realizing that I will have a ton of these to do, the formula was kept pretty simple:

1. Glue sand on base
2. Paint with a dark brown (this will help if I should add some water effects later)
3. Dry brush with a light grey
4. Lightly dry brush with white

What I haven't decided on yet is how much of the dead grass to put on and how much snow. I think less is more. I have another [I Swear Too Much] with more snow on it and I don't think I want to go that route for the entire army.

And finally..."Oh look, here's another 10 guys with brown boots!" B)

C&C greatly appreciated!

Until next time...
Remember Taros? We do.

GAR

19 Dec 2007, 23:11 #8

Sheesh yer a hard guy to keep track of.

My thoughts. Looking at the pictures I would run a couple of light washes of grey or grey brown over the figures to soften up the black undercoat. it looks really stark. Maybe if you touch up the hard spots ( helmet. shouldpads etc...) it will fill it out and look better.

I don't recall them looking like that in person but I have a hard time remembering things in general....

I like the bases a whole lot. One thing to get a more realistic look is to wash them with a dark green, maybe a catchan and then dry brush with a beige or yellow so they look more like they do in the fall with a little green still left on them and not all the way dead yet. Be sure the wash is thin, you still want most of the static grass color to show.

GAR

Mud

20 Dec 2007, 00:00 #9

I like what you have done so far, the drop troops rock. I like the mechrite red on the shoulder paints, it doesnt scream out but you know its there.

Enjoying this thread!

Mud

20 Dec 2007, 01:36 #10

How did you do that snow? It looks sweet. I'd say go with that foundation paint because it gives a lot better coverage and I think that it would be easier to paint without having to do multiple coats. I would also recommend painting the leg padding on the guys brown as well and maybe mixing another (I think darker would be best) brown static grass into the already existing stuff.
Then God said, "Let there be win," and there was win, and it was good.

Everyone complains that all their models look better in real life, mine always look better in the pictures...

25 Dec 2007, 18:45 #11

First off, Merry Christmas everyone!

I have been busily engaged in getting the first 47 troopers done, settling on the basing colors and stuff.

So without [Warning No Swearing] ado...

First off, these are the basing materials that I used

You will note the [Warning No Swearing] product. I was toying with the idea of using this product to bring out the shadows on the jumpsuits, but didn't convince myself that this would actually yield the finish I was looking for.

Examples

Interesting effect, but not convincing enough for me. So then I applied it to a test model that was closer to my figs and although a little more interesting, still not exactly what I was looking for.

So after a bit of hemming and hawing, I decided to stick with the gritty look (which I like) and go to town on the bases. However, I do believe that when I get to the point of doing my Mechanized infantry force, I will be using the [Warning No Swearing] for shading.

So, the snow was Woodlands Scenics snow + PVA + a couple of drops of water. While I was applying the sand, I decided to leave some spots blank for the application of water effects type stuff. Never having done that before I tried the [Warning No Swearing] on a plain base, didn't like that much, tried GW Hard Coat and didn't like that much either.

So what I settled on was mixing a dark brown + 2 drops of black ink into something like 20 drops of [Warning No Swearing]. This yielded a dirty, melted ice effect that I applied on just about all the bases. Still, for water or pools of water, it didn't quite cut it, so I have now applied GW Hard Coat on top of this, which does look a fair bit like melted water.

As soon as that dries, I'll snap a few shots to show the final results. In the mean time, I thought that I'd take some random shots of figures and post those up. Still to come is the company number (I'm going to go with "7") and some vet stripes. However the shoulder pad work won't take place until I get the rest of the troops done so that I can figure out which figs will be in command squads.

They won't be coming to wish you a Merry Christmas... B)

The next group of guys will include a fair number of plasma and melta guns which are an integral part of each squad...at least in my list.

Cheers, and all C&C greatly appreciated!
Remember Taros? We do.

29 Dec 2007, 12:48 #12

I just wanted to post a few pics of the "snow melt" effect that I put on some of the bases. I pretty happy with how it turned out, though it turned into a two step process verses a more desireable one step process.

All in all, it seems to have turned out Ok. What is really annoying about some of these shots is how the beige "bleeds" through in a picture using a flash. For the life of me I don't know why that is as that is not how the figure looks in Real Life &#153; and I thought that GWs Space Wolf Grey was opaque enough to not cause this to happen.

So please do ignore the armor bits as in normal light they are a warm off white.

...and "no", that isn't his lunch bucket. B)

Thoughts?
Remember Taros? We do.

09 Jan 2008, 05:56 #13

Awesome! most impressive. love the dry brushing work! any luck on a valkyrie any time soon?

09 Jan 2008, 10:33 #14

at first i was optemistic about the way you panted them i wasnt sure how it would turn out but you proved these thoughts wrong the weathered look on these guy has shown me a new way of painting my next batch of tau fw i have been trying to get a weathered jungle effect without much success i might just test out this drybrushing technique on a model thanks for the idea and keep up the good work

and as always keep on jagering :toast:
in loving memory of the Late Arthur Evens
dear [I Swear Too Much]
loving father
honoured soldier
R.I.P

like big swords? go here
http://s6.battleknight.co.uk/index.php? ... f=OTc5MzU=

09 Jan 2008, 23:02 #15

Wow i love these models!

they look good up close and at from afar they are even better. Are there going to be tanks or flying units only?

Anyway look really good and I hope that you do not change them becasue they look great. The only thing I could say is that the boots look very plain...

maybe some drybrushing of a likghter brown would do the trick

GOOD JOB!

12 Jan 2008, 12:53 #16

Sorry for the delayed responses, Real Life &#153; has been a kick in the teeth :(

Anyway to the comments (which are appreciated)

@carpediem833: My 1850 list sports two Valkyries and 4 sentinels, so yes, vehicles will be part of this thread. I saw (I think on this board) where someone converted the standard sentinel to sport grav chutes and I intend to "leverage" B) some of that work.

I also got a Valkyrie off of eBay and will [I Swear Too Much] a way to work it into a 2K list.

Recently, I procured an airbrush and will be getting a compressor before too long, so I won't be painting them until I get all the tools and re-teach myself how to use it.

However, I am also lining up resources for an Armored Co. and a Mechanized IG list (using straight codex) with the overall theme of "winter" war and the basing will be similar for those guys as well. So if you are looking for othe types of vehicles some of them should start showing up in around 30 - 60 days.

@vladimere: You and me both brother. I was not sure that the "gritty" look was going to work at all. All this time I've been operating on a hunch with the idea that, each individual soldier may not "wow" you, but in bulk (which is what IG are all about) the concept would come together. Also, it was imperative that I come up with a technique that could be applied across 95 guys fairly consistently so that the army looked like they belong together. I am very concerned when I start a project that the army maintains a visual cohesiveness so that at the end, they look like they all got on the same plane together.

So far, the army is seems to be maintaining that look, so I am hopeful that at the end of the project, the end result will be realized.

As far as applying this to Tau...well, you've seen my signature haven't you? ;)

@Tempestice: This list is straight out of IA3, so no armored vehicles other than sentinels and flying machines. However, hang on, there are other projects on the way that may interest you.

Re: Boots...sigh...yes, you are correct. They are base coated black, then dry brushed with Foundation Charadon Granite, then a light dry brush of Foundation Khemri Brown. My intent was to keep it simple and fast, but I may have been too effective with this, so I will consider going back after I have all the boots done and come up with one more highlight.

So, Heard, Understood, and Acknowledged! :)

In about a week or so, I should have some new pics up of my interpretation on H.Vets for these guys.

Thanx everyone
Remember Taros? We do.

09 Apr 2008, 10:26 #17

So now that I have been brainwashed to order Elysians (got a small bunch, hopefully will get them in less than 28 days) I searched your thread about your Elysians.

Would you have updated on their progress? The list you posted on wip looked very promising!

I like the cammo of your troops, I had in my mind also a picture of my Elysians in winteresque scenery... The bases add nicely to overall feel of the minis :thumbup:

LvK
- oderint dum meduant -

my sale/trade post (Baneblade, SM, RT era stuff):
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Pro ... opic=13493

09 Apr 2008, 14:16 #18

Sgt. Killemall @ Nov 30 2007, 02:45 AM wrote: I'm not a big fan of the dry brushed clothing. The contrast between the dark and light is too harsh. Try taking the base color and adding just a touch of grey to it.
I dissagree. At 2 foot the contrast is enough to see it, where the GW method blends too easily. Being old and with bad eyes, I like models that show character and definition at table length. :)

If not for converting, I'd play a different game!

12 Apr 2008, 01:33 #19

@LvK

Sigh....Progress has been pathetic. I am a "one project at a time" kind of person, so imagine my surprise when I looked around and saw that I had started:

1) Elysians
2) Another 30 tactical space marines
3) An Armored Co.
4) IG Codex Mechanized Infantry
5) Flames of War American Paratroopers

All within the space of a few weeks. Well, it drove this task oriented, get things done hobbyist batty.

So, I prioritized and postponed. One of the things I postponed is the Elysians. I had another 13 guys almost to the last stage when I sat them down. They've been glaring at me ever since. B)

So I have another couple of weeks on #2, a couple of weeks more on #3, and then I think I will return to the Elysians. Part of the delay is due to the fact that I haven't gotten my compressor yet and I like to have everything that I need for a project in hand so that I can do what needs to be done, plus I am going to test some painting techniques on #3, that will carry over to the sentinels in #1.

I see from your posts that you have started to take the plunge and I think you will be happy that you did. I should also warn you that make sure you clean the figs before construction. I didn't think that I needed to until just before painting and whatever mold release agent FW uses, played havoc with my super glue.

So, it will be a little while longer before I get back to these guys, but I am coming back.

Also the list that I posted in the other thread is a LOT of [Warning No Swearing] to play. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.

12 Apr 2008, 10:59 #20

Oh, so we have such a long wait for Elysian goodness *sigh* Well, guess waiting is the name of the game for me as well. Too anxious about the Elysians now and knowing FW it will be ages still :(

Thanks for the tip, must remember to wash them good. I checked that list of yours and that topic in general was the thing that made me to place the order.

LvK
- oderint dum meduant -

my sale/trade post (Baneblade, SM, RT era stuff):
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Pro ... opic=13493

26 Nov 2010, 13:58 #21

I never stopped.

Quiet like a mouse, nibbling here and there, it finally got done...well, as done as an army can ever be.

Which means I still have a Valkyrie gunship (counts as Vulture) to do, some Sentinels, and a few odds and ends to paint up.

And it was a blast to play with. Here's a link to our recent Apocalypse game where they got to take part.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/in ... opic=13458

As I get a chance in the next couple of weeks, I'll try to get some specific shots of all the various units.

Until then...

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.

26 Nov 2010, 15:16 #22

These Elysians are pretty darn coolio, IMHO. There are some poses that look awkward, like the guy hunched over and running, but from experience I know that is the model, and not the modeler.

I personally like the beige peaking through on the armor, it gives it some color without drawing attention.
Be my mirror, my sword and shield, My missionaries in a foreign [I Swear Too Much]

31 Dec 2010, 15:58 #23

Here are some photos of part of the army. My camera is acting very weird, so I wasn't able to get super close ups at times and not sure why.

Anyway, here you go...

Some of the flying bases

An example of the hairspray/salt weathering

A Vendetta

Mortars

Disembarking

Happy New Year to everyone!

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.

30 Apr 2011, 20:15 #24

So...this is Project Vulture. I used to have two FW Vultures, which I love how they look, but the tail assembly (even pinned and epoxied) was so fragile that I had trouble keeping them whole.

Unfortunately for them, one of Honda's rules for gaming is that you have to be able to play with the pieces and not be constantly gluing them back together.

So I sold them and am now in the process of converting a couple of Valkyries into "counts as" Vultures, each bearing the very entertaining twin-linked Punisher cannons.

However, since the underside of the Valkyrie doesn't have the real estate that the Vulture does, I had to fiddle with them a bit.

After that's done, I then spray the entire aircraft with a silver color

This then, is the foundation for then applying the hairspray + salt weathering technique.

I have since [I Swear Too Much] the base colors which are a splinter pattern of two shades of grey, then the tail is masked off and painted white.

I am now in the process of applying washes and then I'll move to weathering powders.

Also, I have decided to start fielding an Officer of the Fleet in my lists. Since I didn't want some snobbish "fleetie" guy who didn't care about the men on the ground, I went for a conversion using the body and helmet of a door gunner, then some regular Cadian arms. I also gave him a "carbine" version of the lasgun for self defense.

Now he looks like some guy who's expecting to see some combat while helping deter bad guys from getting to the table.

I'm fairly happy with the conversion and now I'll just have to come up with a scheme that sets him apart from the basic trooper scheme.

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.

29 Oct 2011, 13:23 #25

Well, I've been meaning to update this thread for awhile now, but you all know how that goes.

So...this is pretty much a closeout of this army, in that it is 99% complete. I have a few small odds and ends to add, but for the most part this army is done. I had a blast playing with it at War Games Con 2011 in the "Battle for Armageddon" narrative tracks and it did cause some consternation for the non-Imperial players.

So here are some of the final shots:

I used to have two FW Vultures armed with Punisher cannon, but as they were the original version, the tail assemblies kept having transportation issues. So I sold them and decided to build a Valkyrie "counts as" gunship to represent my Vultures. I understand that the new (relatively) Vulture is a much better kit and at some point I'd like to add a couple to this army.

In the meantime...my home boys. I just love Punisher cannons :thumbup:

The infantry

A "counts as" Chimera for the 1000 pt Doubles event

Except for the base grey, there is very little paint on this vehicle, it's all done with artist charcoals. I wanted to get a WWII worn whitewash effect and it turned out pretty decent. Also, I notice that the final version had some snow [I am breaking the rules and will be banned] applied in strategic places to assist with tying it into the overall army scheme.

And now some shots of the entire army as taken by the Bell of Lost Souls event photographer and [I Swear Too Much] a few times in the Pic of the Day feature on their site.

It's been one wonderful and wild ride as far as projects go.

Cheers,
Remember Taros? We do.