10,000 Hours To Become An Expert?

Site Updates, News & General posts will be posted in here. You can Post & Talk about other Hobbies, SCI FI Games, Anime, Video Games, General topics & Real World Events etc. in here.

10,000 Hours To Become An Expert?

10 Jan 2017, 05:26 #1

I've heard it said that you need to practice 10,000 hours to become an expert at a skill or subject. I've also seen videos on YouTube that say 20 hours to become proficient in a skill. I've been collecting building and painting miniatures since I was 14 so on and off for about 17 years. So hopefully I've at least learned the basics but I'm thinking I should give 20 hours practice a serious go maybe even as an experiment.

What I'm thinking of doing is three hours a day an hour and a half before I set out to work and an hour and a half after I get home, on the weekend 5 hours over two days. This should work out to 20 hours in a week.

What I needed to work out is how I can measure the progression of an artistic based skill. Well after some thought at work I have come up with an idea for an experiment:

The 20 Hour Experiment

Question
Will 20 hours of practice make you (more) proficient?

Materials
Models
Paint
Paintbrushes
Water
Other painting supplies

Procedure
Make two models exactly the same or as close as possible.
Paint one of these models at the beginning of the experiment.
Spend 20 hours painting other models over 1 week.
At the end of the 20 hours paint the other model.
Compare both models and evaluate. (Might post images in the WIP Forum for external evaluation)

Ill be updating my website Rethonn-Studios as I go when I'm [I Swear Too Much] ill put a complete update here.