Well I did it Vince

Well I did it Vince

Tim
Tim

June 24th, 2012, 4:06 am #1

My Dynex 400 watt power supply kept getting worse.
So I went to Best Buy today and got a Corsair Gaming Series GS600 Power supply - 600 Watt.

My PC works much better now, the 400 watt Dynex was really underpowered also for my system. My Nvidia GTS250 takes 2 PCI-E power plugs which I had to hack from the Dynex 400 watt

The past couple of days, to start my PC I had to fiddle with the power button on the back of the power supply and the hack button and the normal power button all at the same time LOL and it would suddenly power cut off the past 2 days as if it were just unplugged.

The Corsair GS600 Power supply had all the correct plugs for my system, with 2 separate PCI-E power plugs. But it was $80 compared to $40 for the Dynex, and I just bought the Dynex 2 years ago and it worked fine until the power surges from a storm about a month ago. But my system does require 450 watt minimum according to the motherboard specs.

I think my system is faster now, it was probably starving for watts.

P-4 2.8ghz, 3gb RAM, TV DVR Radio card, 2 DVD-R's, 3 HDD's, Floppy, Nvidia GTS250 w/500 mb RAM. SATA, Dynex Vinyl 24HD audio card. On board audio and video disabled.

Now my hack start button on the front isn't hooked up to anything

I think I'll save the fan out of the Dynex PS. its a nice big 4" I can mount in the back of my case, and she'll be a real cool runner then.

Fun stuff!

Tim

June 24th, 2012, 9:16 am #2

Yes, you will likely be happier all around with a reliable power supply at last. I figure the storm probably wrecked the main output capacitor -(only about as big around as an AA cell and 3/4 the length).

If you check ALL of your capacitor tops and find ANY of them with bulges ... those caps are getting hot because of leakage. On a motherboard ... bulging caps are NOT a good sign.

I've actually salvaged power supplies by replacing capacitors. This is fairly easy to do because the board is only a single layer. On the mother board though, it's pretty hard to do because there are many board layers and the solder has to bridge the layer eyes all the way through -which takes a LOT of heat.

I hope your problems are all solved now.

-Vince

Tim
Tim

June 24th, 2012, 7:45 pm #3

There was no visual damage to capacitors or rectifiers or resistors on motherboard or in power supply, that's why it was such a guessing game.

But now I push the power button and it starts up with plenty of watts
And the fan from the Dynex fit perfectly into the back of my case for extra air supply.

I don't have an oscilloscope but I do have a electrical amplifier.
Electrical amplifier?!?!?! WHAT????
Yes, an amplifier with an electrical resonance microphone that turns electrical impulses into audible sound, so you can listen to the electronics. Induction Coil Microphone.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103876
I mainly use it to find hairline fractures on circuit boards.

Fun stuff!
Tim