Bang That Drum

A Big Bang Alternative

The Accelerating Universe

Plasma Cosmology

The Standard Model

The Alpha and the Omega

It's Out of Control

House of Love

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
~Bertrand Russell

Phred
Phred

June 4th, 2010, 6:07 pm #2

And yet the "big guy making it all by magic" still has its adherents.

June 4th, 2010, 6:57 pm #3

Although I still cling to the idea of a consciousness behind this all ..

Not enough to argue about it either way.

Phred
Phred

June 4th, 2010, 7:24 pm #4

from the point of inception onward things are pretty well known at this point. No gods necessary. Not even Nucc's.

June 4th, 2010, 9:14 pm #5

And everyone else on the planet might not either.

I still do, though. I am weak that way.

Phred
Phred

June 4th, 2010, 9:21 pm #6

you're strong. Everyone is. God isn't there. Nobody is listening noob. So you've been doing this on your own for a very long time now.

We all have. Humanity is stronger than it thinks it is.

June 4th, 2010, 9:33 pm #7

Try living in solitary confinement for 15 years or so ... and see if you don't lose your mind.

Life always needs other life to be complete.

Noob may need "God" to feel complete but YOU also need "something" to be complete ... right? By yourself only, you wouldn't find any value in living, would you?

What you BOTH need is pretty much the same thing .... but you give it different names.

-Vince

Phred
Phred

June 4th, 2010, 9:51 pm #8

I think the need for another and for a deity are two different things. Surely I think it would be easier to have a belief in a god to just turn my problems over to. I've known that peace and understand the need for it. There are many who can't get by without it. I would guess the severely imperfect, and I'm guessing Nucc and Jack are in this category, really NEED for a god to be there. The God that says "YOU CANNOT DO ****! which might prevent them from giving in to drinking or violence or who knows what predilection. Without that belief that allows them to hold their evil in... how many people would turn themselves loose on us? Then there are those that just like to say, "I believe this is all for a reason" and give themselves up to the future without angst because they can believe someone, somewhere is in charge of things.

But think for a moment. If I'm right there isn't anyone at the controls and never has been. Yet, everything worked out anyway, didn't it? The perverts held themselves in. The alcoholics didn't drink. Those that feel the need to give their problems over to someone can still believe that everything happens for a reason because, in the end, there is no difference between a reason defined by God and one that just always seems to work out.

And then there's the need not to be alone. That's just the need for companionship. I think that's different than what I've described above.

June 4th, 2010, 10:30 pm #9

Life has to have some meaning in order for a person to retain his sanity.

We all need to feel necessary, recognized, appreciated, useful, (hopefully) loved ... and there has to be some reason why we keep working and doing our "thing".

For a religious person, the ultimate reason is "God's plan." I don't know what it would be for you but I'm sure there's some driving force inside of you which motivates you to live and enjoy life and SHARE yourself in some way with other life. Whatever that is .... it's YOUR god.

-Vince