The Truth About Christian Charity

The Truth About Christian Charity

Identity Crisis
Identity Crisis

October 9th, 2011, 10:05 pm #1

"Because the churches are tax-exempt, the average citizen pays an additional $925.00 a year in taxes to support them."

"According to the Internal Revenue Service, church donations total over 19 BILLION dollars a year. "This does not include profits from businesses, stock holdings, bond holdings, retirement centers or lease back arrangements."

"The Mormon Church alone collects at least $4.3 billion a year from its members and another $400 million from its many business enterprises purchased with tax-exempt donated money. "

"The churches own 81 billion dollars' worth of tax-exempt real estate in Texas and $1.3 billion in Los Angeles county alone. Consider the prime real estate owned by them in New York City, Chicago, Boston, in every state - the amount involved is staggering."

"Every tax dollar that the church avoids paying, you as an individual tax payer must make up."

Growing in power and ownership, the xian churches own 20-25% of all the real estate in America.
-Taken from "The Book Your church Doesn't Want You To Read" - Tom C. Leedom, editor 1993

October 9th, 2011, 10:53 pm #2

Just mho... If and when religions return to the altruistic ideals of making the world a better place for those in need (the homeless, the sick, the less fortunate, those that suffer tragedies, etc), then they should be allowed to be tax exempt.

But as long as priests, pastors, preachers and "Church Elders" line their bank accounts, build big houses, drive expensive cars, take extravagant vacations, spend money on prostitutes, abuse & molest children, etc. they do not deserve to avoid taxes.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim
Tim

October 10th, 2011, 1:56 am #3

They don't cost the government anything.
And the government doesn't make any money from the churches.

And the reason being, anything taxable can be taxed out of existence.
Therefor Churches are protected from government tyranny.
In the USA.

And the way our government blows money, they should all be fired anyway.

The estimated population of the United States is 311,457,478
so each citizen's share of this debt is $47,676.90.

Bro Tim

October 10th, 2011, 4:52 am #4

it's a first....i COMPLETELY agree....whew.

Iceman
Iceman

October 10th, 2011, 3:57 pm #5

In the USA.

Bro Tim
The government has never GIVEN me anything. Yet I am taxed and my property is taxed.

Religion was taxed up until the fruitcake Eisenhower. Time to get back to reality.

Have another drink Tim.

October 10th, 2011, 6:13 pm #6

Just mho... If and when religions return to the altruistic ideals of making the world a better place for those in need (the homeless, the sick, the less fortunate, those that suffer tragedies, etc), then they should be allowed to be tax exempt.

But as long as priests, pastors, preachers and "Church Elders" line their bank accounts, build big houses, drive expensive cars, take extravagant vacations, spend money on prostitutes, abuse & molest children, etc. they do not deserve to avoid taxes.

Just my 2 cents.
I used to date the daughter of an Evangelical preacher. Her father and mother did not work. (I don't care what anyone says, reading passages out of a mythology book to followers and accepting money for doing it is not "working".)

She had been in a relationship with an abusive spouse, and moved in with her parents while she went back to college, and that's how I met her.

She invited me over for dinner, and what I saw when I got to her parent's house shocked me. What really shocked me was when I found out what her father did for a "living" to pay for their mansion.

The 3 of them lived in a brand new 15 bedroom house. 2 swimming pools. Several of the bedrooms had hot tubs/jacuzzis. Attached to the house was a 5 car garage. They had no neighbors. Her father had purchased the surrounding 20 lots before anyone could build houses on them.

All of it was tax exempt, and he made no bones about bragging about how much money he received from the herd.

Selling imaginary friends is big business.

Then he found out I wasn't Christian, and told me how evil I was. Actually, I took it as a complement after seeing his greed and gluttony.

"He's gonna send me a plastic Jesus, there's a check in the mail today. That's what I need, somebody to love. We just won't eat on Sunday, gotta buy him a limousine. Somewhere to live, somewhere to pray. Every penny from people keeps the wolf outside the door. Shop around and find forgiveness for yourself, but he'll give you more. Holy father, holy ghost, who's the one who pays the most? Rock the cradle, don't you cry, buy another lullaby. Jack is nimble, Jack is quick. Pick your pockets, turn a trick. Slow and steady, he's got time to commit another T.V. crime." -- Ronnie James Dio, from the Black Sabbath song "T.V. Crimes"

-----------------------------------------------
"We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that the simplest explanation is: There is no god. No one created the Universe, and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; there is probably no heaven and no afterlife, either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the Universe. And for that, I am extremely grateful." -- Professor Stephen Hawking, cosmologist
Last edited by edstrange13 on October 10th, 2011, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 10th, 2011, 6:17 pm #7

In the USA.

Bro Tim
They pay no taxes, yet interfere with the democratic process.

If they don't pay taxes, how can you say they are "self-supported"? They are supported by the government. I like to call it "religious welfare".

I am self-supported, yet I get about 40% of my income taken from me by the government. Churches/mosques/temples should do the same.

But because they pay no taxes, the government takes more from every citizen to make up the difference.

"The divorce between church and state ought to be absolute. It ought to be absolute. It ought to be so absolute that no church property anywhere, in any state, or in any nation, should be exempt from taxation, for if you exempt the church property of any church organization, to that extent you impose tax upon the whole community." -- U.S. President James A. Garfield, address to Congress

-----------------------------------------------
"We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that the simplest explanation is: There is no god. No one created the Universe, and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; there is probably no heaven and no afterlife, either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the Universe. And for that, I am extremely grateful." -- Professor Stephen Hawking, cosmologist
Last edited by edstrange13 on October 10th, 2011, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm #8

Churches, temples, mosques, synagogues, et. al. have become extensions of politics and political parties. They're more concerned about finanance and pressing their own politcal agenda than they are about following the lessons taught by their religion. And they are not indpendent. Quite to the contrary, they exploit the financial system much like all people in political power do.

October 10th, 2011, 9:45 pm #9

as I see it, is the religious teaching of being submissive.

Being submissive is the "baby steps" to learning to cooperate with others and learning to make compromises ... but too many people don't realize the difference between submissiveness and cooperation/compromise and so they always stay at the submissive stage.

In this regard, Islam and Sikhism are more advanced because they teach standing up for your natural rights. Now sure, that leads to a bunch of hot-headed reactions but one has to ask ... is it better to be hot of lukewarm?

Certainly in the face of overwhelming corruption ... COMBAT is vital to prevent total oppression.

-Vince

October 10th, 2011, 10:22 pm #10

Just my 2 cents.
My only fear is that the small town churches that we are used to would be driven out of business by this.